I feel awful - unwittingly just bought a tampered car :(

Don
Brain said:
I can see that the first numver is between 8 and 9 even though it should have only done 82500[ish] miles.

How many digits does it have, the first number should be between 8 and 9 unless the first digit is for 100,000 miles (which should be zero)?

Jokester

Man of Honour
Why is it such a big deal? It's a 900 quid cheapo runabout - it works, right? So whats the problem?

Ok so if its really done 150k you paid over the odds for it but only by about 350 quid. Don't lose any sleep over it.

Caporegime
Thing is the temp dial will take some time to move so take it out for a long run 20 mins or so.

Most older cars get mist behind the plastic my saxo used to do it nothing to worry about.

At the end of the day its a £900 fiesta, not the end of the world its not like its a £10,000 clocked BMW is it.

Associate
OP
it only has 5 digits but the fist digit it exactly between 8 and 9 even though the following digits are 25-- [cant remember the last digits off hand]

Man of Honour
By all means be peeved, but dont be worried.

I'd be suprised if it has been clocked, if somebody was going to the trouble of clocking a car like a Fiesta they'd give it more of a haircut than just back to 80k miles - most small car buyers are mileage obsessed, so 40-50k would be more likely.

Caporegime
Brain said:
i understand that you might think its not worth worrying about - but its my first car and im just peeved off at myself.

Well if your that upset go to the dealer about it.... Challange it and threaten to get the law onto him, what good is you getting no sleep going to do fa, you either forget about it or go about fixing the problem like an adult would do.

Soldato
Is it in good nick apart from that?
Forgetting the odometer thing - do you like the car?

My car is having a few teething problems. I'm angry with it - but everytime I look at it I realise it's all worthwhile :)

Associate
OP
maybe it has been clocked but im sure the temp dial doesnt work since i was driving it for and hour today and it didnt move from base line.
Also, should the rev needle be at '1' when the car is running and no accelator applied, and in nutral also? [need to check that again tomorrow to see what it goes to when the engine is off].

Associate
OP
well it isnt perfect - the steering wheel makes a rubbing plastic sound where the wheel meets the dash - like its screwed on too tightly. Front bumper has a 3inch crack and is missing a screw on each side - probably a little bump or something - not too serious and apart from that [and afore mentioned dashboard] its fine. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and let you see.

Associate
OP
correct i mean 1 as in 1000rpm.

Im going to bed - perhaps i will be slightly calmer in the morning :) thanks for the reploies so far. I knew i could get more feedback here quicker than anywhere else.

Associate
Revs should idle around the '1' mark yes (most idle slightly below this).
Don't worry about the temp guage too much as a lot of small cars don't even have them anyway.

Seriously, for a £900 P reg fiesta you are being way to meticulous however I was exactly the same when looking for my first car - after searching for approx 1 month my standards dropped as I realised I was never going to get a perfect example of the car I was looking for.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
2x1600 said:
Don't worry about the temp guage too much as a lot of small cars don't even have them anyway.

WHAT?

That's daft advice - temp guage is very important indeed, it tells you when your engine is overheating and can be the difference between you stopping before damage occurs or just driving on to impending disaster!

Soldato
I'm slightly confused. Did you buy the car from a dealer? If so and you think it has been tampered with take it to an independant garage and get it checked over. If it becomes apparent that it has been clocked or otherwise messed with inform Trading Standards and the Police. If nothing else you'll get this ejit in trouble and save other people the hassle that you are going through.

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
WHAT?

That's daft advice - temp guage is very important indeed, it tells you when your engine is overheating and can be the difference between you stopping before damage occurs or just driving on to impending disaster!

I know what it's for but i'm pretty sure my 106 didn't have one... :confused:

Associate
OP
my steering wheel problem is probably just a simple case of the steering column covers rubbing against the steering wheel. It only occurs when i turn the wheel more than 40degrees in either direction

Back
Top Bottom