I Got Angry Yesterday

Suspended
Cookie-Monster said:
It doesnt matter what the crime is a vigilante style punsihment can never be justified because it just becomes a slippery slope, leading to "Well that guy deserved it so what about the guy that commited an only slightly less bad crime" etc.
Yeah, I agree with you on a fairly detached level. But some crimes, especially crimes motivated by hatred and ignorance such as this one, really get on my ****.

If I'd been there, my initial reaction to seeing him get smacked would have been one of glee, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

Soldato
A randomn act of violence would be happy slapping, that was NOT randomn and was sorely deserved and how you can say they both deserve arresting I dont know, I would have given the friend a pat on the back.

Associate
Oliver said:
Good on you! It might not have been the most morally right thing to do but it at least shows the people who shouted the comment that the rest of society doesn't agree with it and is willing to act. And to say it to a flaming child, pathetic. I applaud you!

What he said, people now seem to sit back and do nothing, good on him :cool:

Soldato
OP
Cookie-Monster said:
I dont because that would suggest i believe the average thug on the street capable of assembling all the facts and carrying out summary retribution as justice. which i do not.

It doesnt matter what the crime is a vigilante style punsihment can never be justified because it just becomes a slippery slope, leading to "Well that guy deserved it so what about the guy that commited an only slightly less bad crime" etc.

You are right in what you are saying, as it is not possible for single person to act as judge, jury and prosecution on the street and take the law into their hands.....but I dont care because that kid got what was coming to him, and didnt get what he deserved by a long shot.

Associate
Cookie-Monster said:
IMO arrest both of you.

I disagree to an extent - arresting the racist will probably not make him think twice about repeating his outburst, unlike an elbow to the head which will remind him of his severe attitude problem for a good few days to come (hopefully).

Soldato
as i always say in these situations, violence isnt needed, hardly ever is, and the way the law works you'l end up getting locked up, even if it was for something heroic

Soldato
It's great how you and your mate captain planet assault people in the fight against racism over a comment that isn't racist - it's anti-Semitic.

If someone shouted 'oi, Proddy, get off there' would you also see it as racist?

Leave policing to the police.

Associate
Cookie-Monster said:
I dont because that would suggest i believe the average thug on the street capable of assembling all the facts and carrying out summary retribution as justice. which i do not.

"Vigilante" - because it's not a police officer? I have issues with that, simply because we have no choice that other people govern us, I feel it's entirely justified, and saved police time if anything!

A slightly less crime, like putting someone in a cell, restricting them against their will for their views? Devils advocate and all that.

Soldato
OP
From when Ali G interviewed the activists trying to stop a road (or something similar) being built.

Random Guy: Violence solves nothing.

Ali G: Well it does

RG: Lets face it, it doesnt.

AG: Well it does

RG: In what kind of situation?

AG: In a violent one :p

Associate
Vanilla said:
It's great how you and your mate captain planet assault people in the fight against racism over a comment that isn't racist - it's anti-Semitic.

Oh please, look at the comment:

"yeah you dirty ******* Jew get down"

"dirty", refering to his skin colour, they're clearly being racist, I'd be surprised if they had a problem with their religion, they tend not to have any knowledge of specific religions, more mocking them for being different.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Vanilla said:

In the context of this, the Anti-Semitism is in fact predujice and therefore racist.

Where are you getting your facts from?

Suspended
Vanilla said:
Let's not split hairs. 'Jewish' might not strictly be a race, but anti-Semitic comments are motivated in the same fashion as racist comments.

Soldato
OP
Vanilla said:

Ok then, tell me how one is worst (or better) than the other? Does it really make a difference? Would you like me to edit my post to change the word racist to anti-semitic? :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Defending and going against racism/anti-semetism/culture clashes/religious antagonism is commendable.

Taking actions through physical interference is not so commendable.

Talking to the security guards or reporting them would definitely have been something worth doing anyway, but I can't say "good on your friend" for lamping that tool. I'm not saying he didn't deserve it, but it's not for us as members of the public to take the law into our own hands.

It is sickening that some people have such violent and vitriolic opinions on people's religion and race - but unfortunately most people are just following a trend, peer pressure or just spouting stuff they know nothing of. It's not fair, it's crap but I'm afraid that's the sad truth.

Anyway I can understand your anger and I honestly believe that your heart (or at least your friend's heart) was *probably* in the right place. Violence however is never the answer in my books.

Soldato
Nix said:
In the context of this, the Anti-Semitism is in fact predujice and therefore racist.

Where are you getting your facts from?

The dictionary definition of anti-semitism is the prejudice or hostility against Jews.

The Jewish people are not a race, just like the Catholic people are not. Being Jewish is not a race because Jews do not share one common ancestry or biological distinction. People of many different races have become Jewish people over the years.

Being Jewish means you are a part of a religious movement just like being Catholic or Muslim.

Suspended
basmic said:
So what you're telling us, is your friend lacks the communication 'skills' to talk/shout to the lad? Instead he resorts to violence.

Wow, I really admire him.
I don't think that someone who thinks it's a laugh to shout racist abuse at children is someone who's going to respond well to a stern talking to, do you?

Soldato
panthro said:
Ok then, tell me how one is worst (or better) than the other? Does it really make a difference? Would you like me to edit my post to change the word racist to anti-semitic? :rolleyes:

I'm against violence, racism, anti-semitism and many other evils such as coffee Revells. I was just pointing out that if you're going to fight for something at lest know exactly what it is you're fighting for or against.

Back
Top Bottom