I Got Angry Yesterday

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Vanilla said:
The dictionary definition of anti-semitism is the prejudice or hostility against Jews.

The Jewish people are not a race, just like the Catholic people are not. Being Jewish is not a race because Jews do not share one common ancestry or biological distinction. People of many different races have become Jewish people over the years.

Being Jewish means you are a part of a religious movement just like being Catholic or Muslim.

In the context of the OP. Are you deaf as well as ignorant?

The context being that he called him 'dirty' and was clearly refering to his colour.

At the end of the day, anti-semitism and racism are both prejudice against someone different from yourself. They're practically one in the same.

Man of Honour
Mr Spew said:
How about people's rights? And why not? Look out for each other.

That leads to anarchy which in my book is not good.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't have a right to defend their rights, however taking matters into your own hands through violence makes you just as bad as them. You can do a lot more damage through court trial/oifficial procedures if you're that passionate about it. Hitting someone for saying a nasty word does no good. It might feel good, and bring some form of immediate justice (and don't get me wrong I may have felt tempted (in my mind) to do the same - I wouldn't as I'm not a violent person however) - but it's not the right way of going about it.

Soldato
OP
basmic said:
So what you're telling us, is your friend lacks the communication 'skills' to talk/shout to the lad? Instead he resorts to violence.

Wow, I really admire him.

Im pretty sure that he doesnt care if you admire him or not.

I should have mentioned that before we did anything, we started shouting at them telling them that it was out of order, and we got back from them the usual "**** off you *****", etc.

I dont think violence was the answer either, but as I said before, he deserved it and I honestly dont regret my friend doing it. I wish I did report the guard to his superior though. Thats my biggest regret.

Soldato
Arcade Fire said:
Let's not split hairs. 'Jewish' might not strictly be a race, but anti-Semitic comments are motivated in the same fashion as racist comments.

Indeed, but I was reminded of the bunch of hooligans up North who beat up a Paediatrician because they thought it meant Paedophile. I know this is drastically different but I could just imagine a lad somewhere saying 'I beat up a racist yesterday'.

Think of all the street cred he'd get if he said 'I beat up an Anti-Semite today'

All his mates would go 'corrr great.....auntie who?'

Permabanned
Arcade Fire said:
Yes, but I think it would be a fair assumption.

Is the 'witticism' in your sig supposed to be a serious comment, by the way?
If you have an issue with my signature then do one of the following, rather than derail threads: a) RTM any of my posts which contain it. b) Email a moderator. c) Email me

Whether the 'witticism' in my signature should remain or not, has already been argued. It does not need arguing about, once more.

Soldato
Nix said:
In the context of the OP. Are you deaf as well as ignorant?

The context being that he called him 'dirty' and was clearly refering to his colour.

Dirty makes no reference to colour or race. You can call a black man dirty ******* Catholic and it wouldn't be racist.

Man of Honour
panthro said:
Im pretty sure that he doesnt care if you admire him or not.

I should have mentioned that before we did anything, we started shouting at them telling them that it was out of order, and we got back from them the usual "**** off you *****", etc.

I dont think violence was the answer either, but as I said before, he deserved it and I honestly dont regret my friend doing it. I wish I did report the guard to his superior though. Thats my biggest regret.

I don't think anyone here regrets it. I'm more shocked and disappointed at the guards being so "cool" about those people's behaviour. :/

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Vanilla said:
Dirty makes no reference to colour or race. You can call a black man dirty ******* Catholic and it wouldn't be racist.

Why are you defending a point you're clearly wrong about? You're right in terms that it's not a race, but like it's been pointed out twice - racism and most forms of prejudice are one in the same.

Stick to the topic now, because defending the point makes you appear like you support anti-semitism.

Soldato
Nix said:
Why are you defending a point you're clearly wrong about? You're right in terms that it's not a race, but like it's been pointed out twice - racism and most forms of prejudice are one in the same.

Stick to the topic now, because defending the point makes you appear like you support anti-semitism.

Pot, kettle black.

My only point is that it wasn't racist. You;ve conceded that this is in fact correct yet you keep trying to keep some face for some god forsaken reason by pointing out that it's all the same.

If it were all the same why would I have bothered posting?

Surely if i'#m educating people about what the difference between racism and anti-semitism is I can't be supporting it? How did you work that one out?

Soldato
OP
basmic said:
Fair enough. But by telling us they shouted at them, does it make them any worse or better?

It helped, because at least the kid knew why he was getting hit before it happened. So he couldnt tell anyone he got hit for no reason at all. At least all the people round could know that he was making racist/anti-semitic comments to children before it happened.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Vanilla said:
Pot, kettle black.

My only point is that it wasn't racist. You;ve conceded that this is in fact correct yet you keep trying to keep some face for some god forsaken reason by pointing out that it's all the same.

If it were all the same why would I have bothered posting?

Surely if i'#m educating people about what the difference between racism and anti-semitism is I can't be supporting it? How did you work that one out?

We were discussing the behaviour of the said individuals not the specific wording used. You've inappropriately brought up the discussion which is for another time and place. It's in the context you mentioned it. I know you're not as you stated it earlier.

Soldato
Nix said:
We were discussing the behaviour of the said individuals not the specific wording used. You've inappropriately brought up the discussion which is for another time and place. It's in the context you mentioned it. I know you're not as you stated it earlier.

Why is it inappropriate if they think they beat up a racist when they didn't?

Is it inappropraite to educate them?

I'm having this discussion here and now. Your choice if you join in or not, so far you have done.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Vanilla said:
Why is it inappropriate if they think they beat up a racist when they didn't?

Is it inappropraite to educate them?

I'm having this discussion here and now. Your choice if you join in or not, so far you have done.

If you're going to have this dicussion now, then you're going to derail the thread. I'd love to discuss it with you, and forgive my half-bothered responses but i'm in the middle of revision. I'm gonna leave you to it now, as my exam is 2moro and I really have to get on with it.

Caporegime
Goodness grief, keyboards at dawn eh? :D

I reckon it would be foolish to think that dealing out an elbow to the head of some yob is going to teach them a lesson... they are probably used to violence, and if anything it'll just increase fuel their racist behaviour, because that's the way those small-minded, pea-brained people work.

Yeah at the end of the day the scrote probably deserved a good kicking, but then again he's probably taken a good few over the years and lives in a culture of violence, so all your mate did by elbowing him in the head was act like a No swearing! himself, and all you showed him once more is that violence works, and he'll take it out some poor and unlucky sod at some point in the future. If you or your friend think you have educated the yob in any way, shape or form about the finer points of how to treat ethnic minorite,s or increased his goodwill towards fellow man then you are deluding yourself. The elbow is far deadlier than the fist in close quarters, many martial arts use it with devestating effect but only when they want to REALLY hurt someone. Your mate is obviously as much a yob as they are and likes a good scrap.

Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom