I Got Angry Yesterday

Associate
Vanilla said:
This whole thread is about racism......which wasn't actually racism but something else. I consider that to be right on topic.
"dirty" - racism. I've come across it a few times in real situations, I questioned why they said that, you know why they did? "coz dey got dirty skin".

Soldato
OP
Richdog said:
Goodness grief, keyboards at dawn eh? :D

I reckon it would be foolish to think that dealing out an elbow to the head of some yob is going to teach them a lesson... they are probably used to violence, and if anything it'll just increase fuel their racist behaviour, because that's the way those small-minded, pea-brained people work.

Yeah at the end of the day the scrote probably deserved a good kicking, but then again he's probably taken a good few over the years and lives in a culture of violence, so all your mate did by elbowing him in the head was act like a **** himself, and all you showed him once more is that violence works, and he'll take it out some poor and unlucky sod at some point in the future. If you or your friend think you have educated the yob in any way, shape or form about the finer points of how to treat ethnic minorite,s or increased his goodwill towards fellow man then you are deluding yourself. The elbow is far deadlier than the fist in close quarters, many martial arts use it with devestating effect but only when they want to REALLY hurt someone. Your mate is obviously as much a yob as they are and likes a good scrap.

Just my opinion.

Fair play, you are entitled to your opinion. Im not a yob, and neither is my friend. Your use of of words such as **** and yob I find offensive, but you can only go by from what you read in this thread. As I said, he is a lot less tolerant than myself but he is usually not a violent person. The look on that kids face hit a nerve with him, as it did with me. Havent felt that bad for someone in a long time. Just to emphasise, it wasnt a full on strike to the head, more of a walk past casually fairly hard knock. Still, I guess it doesnt make too much of a difference.

Soldato
Mr Spew said:
"dirty" - racism. I've come across it a few times in real situations, I questioned why they said that, you know why they did? "coz dey got dirty skin".

Just because you've heard it in such a way doesn't make it so. It is an insult to call someone dirty, it has no linking to race.

The only time i've come across it is an off the cuff remark which has nothing whatsoever to do with skin, in exactly the same context as has been used in this thread 'you dirty ******!'

Soldato
Arcade Fire said:
If you agree that the kid's comment was hateful and insulting, then does it really matter whether or not it was racist by some technical definition?

Yes!

If people care so much about racism they must understand it and STOP attaching anything to do with prejudice with racism. This in itself dilutes racism and the importance around it.

Otherwise we breed ignorance.

Soldato
Cookie-Monster said:
not that I condone the racist behaviour but are you and your mates much better for carrying out and condoning random acts of violence and more than the other guy and his mates for condoning racism,

IMO arrest both of you.

What was random about it?

Associate
Vanilla said:
Just because you've heard it in such a way doesn't make it so. It is an insult to call someone dirty, it has no linking to race.

The only time i've come across it is an off the cuff remark which has nothing whatsoever to do with skin, in exactly the same context as has been used in this thread 'you dirty ******!'
Yes, I realise that, but people that used it in this situation aren't using it in such a way.

Associate
Vanilla said:
Yes!

If people care so much about racism they must understand it and STOP attaching anything to do with prejudice with racism. This in itself dilutes racism and the importance around it.

Otherwise we breed ignorance.

If you're going to get technical and tell others they're wrong then get it right please :)

Recommendation 12 of the Stephen Lawrence Inquiry Report states that the definition of a racist incident should be:
”any incident which is perceived to be racist by the victim or by any other person”
http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/toolkits/rh0201.htm

Therefore since the OP believes this to have been a racial incident or words used in a racist matter it makes it so. The above is the criteria used by the police to define a racist incident.

Soldato
Mr Spew said:
Yes, I realise that, but people that used it in this situation aren't using it in such a way.

Well, having read it and heard it in that way I don't consider it racist and nor would a court of law. It has no linking to race.

Associate
Vanilla said:
Well, having read it and heard it in that way I don't consider it racist and nor would a court of law. It has no linking to race.
"dirty" of course has a link to race. It depends on the intonation, and you can usually guess by who uses it. I've found older people use it in the 'You dirty beggar!' kind of way, not hateful little arses.

As the quote directly above you says, yes, a court of law would find it that way.

Suspended
Vanilla said:
Yes!

You talk as if this incident would somehow be more serious if the kid had shouted "you ****ing *******" instead of Jews. I don't agree - I think that the seriousness of a hate crime, whether it's racist, anti-semitic, sexist or otherwise, depends entirely on the crime itself and not on the particular brand of hate in effect.

Caporegime
panthro said:
Just to emphasise, it wasnt a full on strike to the head, more of a walk past casually fairly hard knock. Still, I guess it doesnt make too much of a difference.

panthro said:
walked up to the youth that said it and gave him a swift elbow to the head, which must have hurt because the little **** doubled up clutching his head.

Regardless of what ive read in this thread, your mate must still be a tool for doing that, and he MUST have a liking for a scrap... that just wouldn't happen otherwise. You're biased because he's your mate, we're objective.

Soldato
GDad said:
If you're going to get technical and tell others they're wrong then get it right please :)

Recommendation 12 of the Stephen Lawrence Inquiry Report states that the definition of a racist incident should be:
”any incident which is perceived to be racist by the victim or by any other person”
http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/toolkits/rh0201.htm

Therefore since the OP believes this to have been a racial incident or words used in a racist matter it makes it so. The above is the criteria used by the police to define a racist incident.

It doesn't mean it is racist. It is just so that a victim can report a crime as being racist so the police have to investigate it from a racist angle in addition to normal angles.

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/new.../operational-policing/coderi1.pdf?view=Binary

"The purpose of this definitions not to prejudge the question of whether a
perpetrator’s motive was racist or not: that may
have to be proved if, for instance, the perpetrator
is to be charged with a racially aggravated offence.
The purpose of the definition is rather to ensure
that investigations take full account of the
possibility of a racist dimension to the incident
and that statistics of such incidents are collected
on a uniform basis."

Last edited:
Soldato
Arcade Fire said:
You talk as if this incident would somehow be more serious if the kid had shouted "you *********" instead of Jews. I don't agree - I think that the seriousness of a hate crime, whether it's racist, anti-semitic, sexist or otherwise, depends entirely on the crime itself and not on the particular brand of hate in effect.

I agree they're all as bad as eachother, I see it as getting a bit of free education though!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Richdog said:
Regardless of what ive read in this thread, your mate must still be a tool for doing that, and he MUST have a liking for a scrap... that just wouldn't happen otherwise. You're biased because he's your mate, we're objective.

Of course Im going to be biased, I was there, I saw people verbally abusing children, my friend acted on instinct, gave him a swift knock to the head with his elbow.

He MUST have a liking for a scrap? How so, because he got angry at wrong doing? If he had a liking for a scrap, then he would actively go out seeking it, which he doesnt. If he did, then he would be in jail by now probably for all the scrapping he gets into.

What would you have done? Have stern words with them? Or stand there and not do anything? I dont care what you or anyone else thinks, because my friends and myself are not the kind of people to stand by and not doing anything while people abuse little children. Its just wrong and out of order.

Soldato
He MUST have a liking for a scrap? How so, because he got angry at wrong doing? If he had a liking for a scrap, then he would actively go out seeking it, which he doesnt. If he did, then he would be in jail by now probably for all the scrapping he gets into.

Because for most people it would take a lot more than that to start using their fists.

Soldato
You'd be surprised how many people say they are not "racist" yet in a certain situation will use racist comments as if it meant nothing. "Oh we were just having a laugh", yea well why not ******* have a laugh by using some jokes that arent offensive.

Honestly. Its not soo much blatant racists that get on my nerves anymore its people who claim not to be racist yet decide to use racist comments at times.

Soldato
OP
asim said:
You'd be surprised how many people say they are not "racist" yet in a certain situation will use racist comments as if it meant nothing. "Oh we were just having a laugh", yea well why not ******* have a laugh by using some jokes that arent offensive.

Honestly. Its not soo much blatant racists that get on my nerves anymore its people who claim not to be racist yet decide to use racist comments at times.

I guess it depends who you are saying it to, e.g your friends in jest. I dont, but I know a lot of people who always call one of my chinese friends chinky....but he uses the same word to replace the word chinese :confused: I still count that as a racist word.

Soldato
Nix said:
In this case it most definately was the lesser of two evils. If everyone stuck up for the right things then maybe there would be less of this disgusting behaviour on the streets in the first place.

I agree whole heartedly with the above comment.

If we all spent a little less time arguing semantics or being pedantic about the race issue and a bit more time actually taking some responsibility for upholding the law, this country of ours would become a little more bearable.

No, we are not policemen/women, but that should not stop us trying to make this place that we live in, a better place.

Back
Top Bottom