1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I HATE it when that happens

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calnen, 24 Jul 2006.

1. calnen

Mobster

Just as I was going to sleep just now I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye.. there was a HUGE spider on the wall next to my bed, about a foot away from my head. I grabbed my book and splatted it without thinking, leaving an inch-long splat mark on the wall from the body.
    The adrenaline's still going so I'll never sleep now :( Seriously, that was probably the biggest spider I've seen that hasnt been in a cage. I'll try and find out what it was.
    *shudder*

2. El Gringo

Mobster

The nest is probably in the woodwork of your bed...

3. ballistic

PermaBanned

there's one on your bed too

4. asim

Soldato

In your situation my first instinct would have been to leap backwards off the bed about 10 ft in a diving roll while screaming my head off. Then come to my senses :p

5. calnen

Mobster

After a quick google image, it looks like it was an ordinary house spider. I just didnt know they could grow that big!!

I think it was close to that size. Still shuddering occasionally here :S

6. SiriusB

Capodecina

I'd have ignored him and gone back to sleep. For all you know he was trying to get some kip too. Looks like he doesn't really need to now! Murderer!

SiriusB

7. calnen

Mobster

I'm pretty good with spiders, in a killing them sort of way!
    One of the manliest moments of my life was when a pretty big one found its way into our lounge, and we spotted it emerging from under an armchair and advancing towards my girlfriend over the carpet. I jumped up and stamped on it without thinking while she just froze with a look of terror on her face. I was so pleased with myself that day! :D

I'm not scared of them as such, but the idea of having one like that in my bed gives me goosepimples... time for a cup of tea I think!

8. calnen

Mobster

Seriously, you could sleep with something like that on the wall next to your bed? Or would you be one of these modern folk that insists on putting it out in the garden?

9. mks2005

Wise Guy

Just cup it in your hands and gently place it outside. :)

Failing that, get some form of container and a piece of paper, and then place it outside.

10. chrisd

Wise Guy

11. SiriusB

Capodecina

They don't bother me at all. And no I would never put a spider I find indoors outside. That's a sure fire way of killing them.

Whether you like it or not there are two types of spider. Outdoor and indoor. Indoor spiders are born indoors and are adapted to living in indoor conditions. Put one outside and it will die.

If you really can't stand it looking at you, then by all means move the little guy... just not outside. Plonk him near a cupboard he can crawl under or somwhere similar.

They have absolutely no concept of you, you're just a moving piece of scenery to that spider so it wont harm you. If you leave him alone he will carry on with his business :D

SiriusB

12. Curio

Sgarrista

That's one major thing I don't miss about the UK - the huge house spiders :(

The USA usually has to do everything bigger - but the house spiders here are a joke......small wispy things that just hang out in the basement. Thank god cos I'd take tornadoes over British spiders any day of the week :p

13. Zip

Capodecina

Camel spider? :D

14. Efour

Caporegime

Isnt there some stupid "urban myth" fact that we inhale about 7 spiders a year while we are sleeping?

Id be really scared if i was you, when you crush a spider they release a chemical that attracts all other spiders within 35m to seek revenge. :p

15. cyborg

Wise Guy

You shouldn't have added the :p it would have been fun if he believed it.

16. SiriusB

Capodecina

Don't be so naive. You swallow them. And it's 100m! :D

SiriusB

17. calnen

Mobster

lol, damn you :p

(Yes, I am still awake! What did I tell you??)

18. Zip

Capodecina

Go have some wrist powered fun and you will be out like a light :p

19. Inquisitor

Capodecina

You'll probably eat one during the course of the night anyway. Spiders have a habit of crawling into people's mouths to find somewhere dark, but get swallowed in the process.

Try and get to sleep now ;)

20. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Powerball \o/