I hate Ryanair

Soldato
Ive never had a problem with ryan air, never paid more than £20 for a return flight Belfasy to mainland uk and thats with all charges included. At the end of the day its cheap for a reason, if you want quality then dont fly with a budget airline... Funnily Ryanair is the best budget airline ive flown with, ive had no end of probelms with easyjet, flybe and flybmi so much so that i will try never to fly with them again

Im going to ruin it for you and point out its pretty much always £15 belfast to the mainland (usually luton) :cool: Plus I think hte easy jet girls tend to be a little better on the eye ;)

Caporegime
I was wondering about posting a "What companies do you hate" thread the other day, with my company being Ryanair. They've turned hidden charges into an art form.

£2-3 each way, excellent, ah wait you have to pay tax and a surcharge on that of ~£15 each way (which I thought was illegal in law now), ah you want to check in then? Well that'll be ££'s too (even online), take anything but hand luggage and that'll be another £20+ and finally (by way of missing massive other tiny charges out) you want to pay (but don't have the least available card in the uk), that'll be ££ as well. All in all an apparently £6 flight with only hand luggage works out at £70...

Ryanair are by far the worst model for low fares airlines, however conversely easyjet are one of the best (although they do have their own little charges), they show the full price of the ticket straight away and charge less for more hand luggage, so although tickets are apparently £20+ each way they end up in fact around the same price. Unfortunately, although I avoid Ryanair like the plague I occasionally have to fly with them (no other airline flies the route), but even then I'm very tempted to pay the extra £20 and two hour travel time to get to Gatwick and fly via Easyet.

However one positive, once on the planes they are atually in better nick than most other airlines, mainly because their stock (like easyjets) is only a few years old, unlike BA's and worse still a company called Viking air, eugh.

Commissario
I don't get the hidden charges thing. I just went to their website and picked a random flight from London to Scotland.

Ryanair.com-20091013-141308.png

Those ringed figures look pretty clear to me what the bottom line prices are.

If I click 'select and continue' it's all there

Ryanair.com-20091013-141546.png

Again, I go on and I'm shown the bag cost if I want hold luggage (which I never do, it all goes with me in the cabin)

Ryanair.com-20091013-141637.png

Where are these hidden charges?

Associate
Why though? What are you afraid of exactly? It's a mode of transport that gets you from one place to another far, far away in a short space of time. You get a seat to sit in and everything.....
Why pay £200 more just so that you get to pick which (identical) seat to sit on and get a free sandwich and a can of coke?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't get the hidden charges thing. I just went to their website and picked a random flight from London to Scotland.

Ryanair.com-20091013-141308.png

Those ringed figures look pretty clear to me what the bottom line prices are.

If I click 'select and continue' it's all there

Ryanair.com-20091013-141546.png

Again, I go on and I'm shown the bag cost if I want hold luggage (which I never do, it all goes with me in the cabin)

Ryanair.com-20091013-141637.png

Where are these hidden charges?

You've essentially shown them, £15 for a flight that actually works out at £48 on the side panel. Easyjet on the other hand stick all that in the bit that says £15 (i.e. their flights would not say £15 anywhere, instead £48).

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Can't comment on Ryan Air - never used them.

I've only once used a "budget" airline, and that was when I travelled from Cardiff to Prague on Easyjet (part of a stag weekend, so it wasn't like it mattered too much). Apart from the long check-in queue and the "free for all" seating it was just like any other airline.

I have read many many horror stories about Ryan Air, so it would have to something special for me to abandon my judgement and fly with them :o

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
You've essentially shown them, £15 for a flight that actually works out at £48 on the side panel. Easyjet on the other hand stick all that in the bit that says £15 (i.e. their flights would not say £15 anywhere, instead £48).

so because they itemise the bill, this makes them a bad company? :confused:

Caporegime
so because they itemise the bill, this makes them a bad company? :confused:

No, but it's it's like companies showing £5 in big letters under a clock, then having a small thing on the side with

Clock - £5
VAT - £1
Serving charge - £20
Shop fee - £10
Total - £36

Even Feek himself moaned at Staples in the chair thread for showing prices without vat, yet he's justifying it here.:confused:

Easyjet on the other hand show the full cost in the main area then itemise it in small at the side, big difference IMO, you also don't see Easyjet advertising £1 flights, unlike Ryanair, where once taxes/fees are added cost more like £20 each way...

Last edited:
Caporegime
You mean unless you want bags in the hold?

Yes, I already mentioned that in another post, however interestingly last time I flew with easyjet I paid the same amount for a longer flight and hold luggage that I paid ryanair for just hand luggage...

Commissario
Even Feek himself moaned at Staples in the chair thread for showing prices without vat, yet he's justifying it here.:confused:

Yeah, because that showed one price. I had to go click elsewhere to find out that it was ex-vat. The Ryanair page shows the total breakdown all together. It's not hidden, it's there.

Oh and I hardly moaned about it, I said one word. "Gits"

Soldato
Yeah, because that showed one price. I had to go click elsewhere to find out that it was ex-vat. The Ryanair page shows the total breakdown all together. It's not hidden, it's there.

To be fair, the website has improved over time, particularly recently.

Still has far to go on the usability front though. We've a usability team here and one of the guys describes their site as "usability rape".

Last edited:
Caporegime
To be fair, the website has improved over time, particularly recently.

Yeah, I have to admit I didn't realise Ryanair actually showed the price breakdown on the same page now, last time I used them (not that ling ago), you had to go to the next page to actually see the extra charges.:)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Tip: If you need to work out the price Ex-VAT (@17.5%)

VAT added = Display Price x 7 / 47
Price before = Display price - VAT added

Not as quick as a click but it works out :cool:

Soldato
I hate Ryanair because they once stuck me on a plane which promptly didn't go anywhere for 6 hours. Wouldn't let anyone off and wouldn't give out any water. The headache caused by the dehydration and screaming children was probably the worst I've had in my life.

Still, they got everyone on the plane, so technically it wasn't a delayed flight (so I was told by someone about how they measure flight delays). Win!

Associate
OP
Easyjet on the other hand are a brilliant airline - I've flown with them a few times and been impressed each time.

Lucky i am an engineer with them then!:rolleyes: (or i would need to be buying my own car pass, airside pass, clothing, rolling 1 year contract, no pension blah blah). Now do not get me wrong, i have no real loyalty to any airline but when i see any company treating staff like something they just scraped off of their shoe then i would try my best to avoid giving them my hard earned cash.Easyjet are by no means perfect either but at least i get a pension and kit paid for etc.
Just out of interest,how would you feel if you were one of the thousands of people who have lost their jobs during this downturn with these flying around?

4008002617_9b4af9203d.jpg

4008002187_c452026d05.jpg

I find it really insulting.

(although they did predict SkyEurope going to the wall correctly)

Soldato
Im going to ruin it for you and point out its pretty much always £15 belfast to the mainland (usually luton) :cool: Plus I think hte easy jet girls tend to be a little better on the eye ;)

I rarley fly into london though, usually scotland or the midlands. When im in london id fly to Heathrow or gatwick anyway. to much hassle flying into luton or stansted.

e.g. Flew to eastmidlands from belfast city for £6 return at the satrt of september. That was only booked 2-3weeks in advance as well

edit: Though if bmi fly the route ill fly business class with them, so much better than any of the bidget airlines and nearly as cheap with airmiles :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom