I have the Brick !!! Yay !!!

Soldato
Yay!

photoym.jpg

Lens hood is a bit scratched, but otherwise I'm really happy with the condition :)

Soldato
Why was he selling? :confused:

It is one lens i would never sell or the LAST lens i would sell.

he had moved over to Nikon.

he still has a few bits that im trying to get him to sell to me (580flash and battery grip for 5D) but we are still haggling.

I loved your email to me.

"I don't want to tell you the price I got it for as I bought it from a mate", shortly followed by the price you got it for in brackets :p
Really made me laugh! Bargain price though. It made me cry a little.

i felt bad mentioning the price, as it is a mate that owes me , so its not fair to compare..

but glad it made you laugh :)

ps... it heavy innit.. now i see why they call it "the brick"

Soldato
I know. My initial thoughts are I love the weight, makes it feel like it's solid and well built, not sure I'll be saying that after hauling it round for a day though :)

My one seems to require a little more effort to zoom from 24mm to about 40mm, is this right? I figure it is like that to avoid 'zoom creep' (I think that is what it's called) when around my neck, but it could just be a dodgy lens.

AF is nice and silent :)

Soldato
I know. My initial thoughts are I love the weight, makes it feel like it's solid and well built, not sure I'll be saying that after hauling it round for a day though :)

My one seems to require a little more effort to zoom from 24mm to about 40mm, is this right? I figure it is like that to avoid 'zoom creep' (I think that is what it's called) when around my neck, but it could just be a dodgy lens.

not sure, ill have a look at mine shortly for you

Caporegime
OP

Mine is the same, i think its partly to do with the weight of the glass on the front end (the lens reverse zoom as it is at its longest at 24mm). Have the lens pointing down then turn and it won't be as tight compared to horizontally.

It's not too tight though, and it was the same on the copy I hired too, so I am not worried about it, it is not too much more effort and at least it is a gradual "tightness" as you get closer to the 24mm.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine is the same, i think its partly to do with the weight of the glass on the front end. Have the lens pointing down and it won't be as tight.

It's not too tight though, and it was the same on the copy I hired too, so I am not worried about it, it is not too much more effort and at least it is a gradual "tightness" as you get closer to the 24mm.

Awesome, thanks for checking. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't be sold a dodgy copy :)

olv

olv

Soldato
It's turning into a real FF + brick crowd around here. Starting to make me and my little 10D feel really inferior :o

Soldato
My lord this lens is sharp!

I'm really impressed with the results, even though I wasn't shooting anything lower than about ISO 800 when messing around in my house.

Not the best photo (WB is out), but check out the eyes, ISO 1250 I believe

3971552419_6eeec4c749.jpg

100% crop
51051783.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah a friend pointed that out to me earlier and it made me laugh, especially considering how much speculation there was about such a lens a couple of months ago.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Why is that a typo? *puts on dunce hat*

The lens doesn't have IS. It's been strongly rumoured but nothings ever come of it. The picture is of the normal 24-70 so it's probably just a typo.

Seems like everyone's got a 5D to go with their brick! Am I the only one that uses it on crop body?

Back
Top Bottom