I just resigned

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
This thread reminds me of what happened to me in 1966. I had three tickets for all of the matches to be played at Wembley. I'd bought them in Autumn 1965, when they were readily availalble to anyone who wanted them. Working in London, I thought I'd just take time off work to see the afternoon matches.

Then in Spring 1966 disaster happened; I got transferred to Glasgow. I had limited holiday in those days, but compromised. I missed the first week of the world cup, but took two weeks holiday to watch the rest. The other part of the compromise was that I was getting married just after the final, and so reduced the length of the honeymoon so I could make those two weeks for the world cup. Didn't go down too well, but it did serve to emphasise that football formed a big priority in my life.

It's just as well that England scored those two goals in extra time, or I'd have been in real difficulties. No penalties were planned. There was to be a reply at Wembley on the following Tuesday evening. That would have meant returning from my holiday two days late.

Last edited:
Soldato
lordrobs said:
Well I guess Seb got the kind of reaction he wanted... which would have been different to the one he'd have got if he posted the whole story.

"My new job doesn't start until after the world cup. GO ME :D " doesn't have quite the same effect :o

soo true, attention whore image at the ready :p

JRS

JRS

Soldato
KaHn said:
But each to his own, I'll be working in my pub all of the world cup so get to watch it any way.

Not that I really want to like :o

KaHn

Working in a pub during the last World Cup was the only time that I really, really hated that job. Between us, my boss and I threw more people out during that tournament than we did for the entire rest of the year.

Soldato
Enjoy the month off and hopefully England will stick around for most of it, i'm looking forward to doing nothing between 9th june and 9th july apart from sleep, play xbox, watch football/cricket/tennis/rugby/baseball and goto the gym.

the joys of being a student....

Seb

Seb

Associate
OP
lordrobs said:
Well I guess Seb got the kind of reaction he wanted... which would have been different to the one he'd have got if he posted the whole story.

"My new job doesn't start until after the world cup. GO ME :D " doesn't have quite the same effect :o
That would be great, but I dont have a new job lined up.... so... try again? ;)

Soldato
Sp00n said:
My work just got a load of 64" plasma's in specially for the world cup, can't say i'm hugely bothered but it'll be nice to be able to watch the match in my break!

Where the hell do you work? I cant really see a business buying in a few 64" plasma's to watch some football.

Associate
teaboy5 said:
Where the hell do you work? I cant really see a business buying in a few 64" plasma's to watch some football.

Maybe he works at an electrical goods retailer? :p

I should hopefully have access to a stream of the matches while at University, otherwise I'll have to bring a tele in.

Associate
basmic said:
Regardless of whether or not Seb has another job to go to or not. His actions clearly mirror those as a mindless football fan, who chooses to leave a job to watch a black and white ball being kicked about.
And who are you to question what he wants to do and enjoy?

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, or just do some hardcore skiving, ok it'll be obvious why and if they want to sack me for it then fine, i'll have a free summer to enjoy and then get a job afterwards :D

Back
Top Bottom