I keep aquiring these little spikey snuffle creatures...

Sgarrista
Commissario
Last night, this little fella was wandering around bumping into things, no idea where hes come from but he was absolutely starving and ate loads of food and drink.

IMG-20190728-175613.jpg

IMG-20190728-175641.jpg

Tonight this one turns up! Even smaller and soon as I picked him up he was trying to lick the water off my hand as id just fed the fish, so food and water offered and again he sat there munching away for what seemed ages.

IMG-20190729-212828.jpg

Unfortunately given they're wandering on their own, no sign of a big hedgehog and are obviously extremely hungry and thirsty I think its safe to assume mum is likely flat on a road somewhere or has abandoned them.

Soldato
My Mum has a hedgehog rescue centre she started it last year when one was doing the same thing. She has really taken to it and has a big room in the garden outbuildings dedicated too it. She litraly has a microscope and checks their poo etc. She has people bringing her hedgehogs from all over and has gained a lot of support. I think they eat dog food but for any body intrested i can find out if you like

They are messy little things but most are riddled with lungworm and the likes. Quite cool but very time consuming

Little plug for her FB page, hopefully allowed
https://www.facebook.com/wixamshedgehogs/

Soldato
A few years ago, we found a massive one in our completely enclosed back garden. God knows how it got in - they must be very accomplished climbers.

I used a shovel to pick it up and move it to the front garden instead so it could escape (they're usually covered with fleas so I didn't want to get any closer).

Soldato
Ok the old dear has said

" Yea needs to be taken tk a rescue eapecially if oit in the day2
"Tok small to survive on own. Can help bu putting shallow bowls of water out and meaty flavoured kitten kibble, soaked in water "

Soldato
Out of interest, what do you feed them? I wouldnt know where to start!

Nothing more than meaty cat/kitten or dog food. We have at least two regular hedgehog visitors (I've seen them both at the same time in person and on camera). They munch through a small saucer of Morrison's Complete dry cat food each night.

As above, 'hogs shouldn't be out in the day. If they are, they need help as they are starving / dehydrated / ill:

https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/found-a-hedgehog/

If you have found a hedgehog you are concerned about please use gardening gloves to collect it up, bring it indoors and put it in a high sided cardboard box with an old towel or fleece in the bottom for the hedgehog to hide under. Fill a hot water bottle so that when it is wrapped in a towel there is a nice gentle heat coming through and put that in the bottom of the box with the hedgehog, ensuring it has room to get off the bottle should it get too warm. Make sure the bottle is always kept warm (if allowed to go cold it will chill the hedgehog and do more harm than good). If the hedgehog is bleeding please do not add a hot water bottle as this will make it bleed more quickly. Put the box somewhere quiet. Offer meaty cat or dog food and fresh water then call us as soon as possible on 01584 890 801 for further advice and the numbers of local contacts.

Note that out of office hours there is an answerphone, if you have a hedgehog, please press option 1 and listen to the emergency numbers, these volunteers are not representatives of BHPS, but they will be able to give you advice and numbers of local contacts. Please note as volunteers they are sometimes busy (and need to sleep) so if there is no immediate answer, please leave a message or try later. In the meantime, keep the hedgehog safe indoors as described above, or if in obvious pain and in need of urgent help take it to a local vet as soon as possible.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Yes its being fed some mashed up cat food, they were both dehydrated, and have been offered plenty to drink and theyre both looking much better this morning for it. I think mum hedgehog has likely been squashed and thats why theyve started roaming out the nest looking for food/water.

Soldato
Good on you. These poor buggers need every bit of help they can get. As has been said keep them watered and fed until you can get them to your nearest hedgehog sanctuary. May be worth looking out for any others?

Had the same thing with baby squirrels last year. Was fantastic to see them eventually released back into the wild few months later.

Soldato
Good on you. These poor buggers need every bit of help they can get. As has been said keep them watered and fed until you can get them to your nearest hedgehog sanctuary. May be worth looking out for any others?

Had the same thing with baby squirrels last year. Was fantastic to see them eventually released back into the wild few months later.

Assuming it was a grey variety, you might want to rethink releasing them next time :)

http://squirrelaccord.uk/uk-laws.html

Man of Honour
Yes its being fed some mashed up cat food, they were both dehydrated, and have been offered plenty to drink and theyre both looking much better this morning for it. I think mum hedgehog has likely been squashed and thats why theyve started roaming out the nest looking for food/water.

2-3 weeks back I nearly ran one over and saw several squashed ones - wonder if the time of year or weather or something has made them active.

Back
Top Bottom