1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I keep aquiring these little spikey snuffle creatures...

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by kindai, 29 Jul 2019.

1. kindai

Soldato

Last night, this little fella was wandering around bumping into things, no idea where hes come from but he was absolutely starving and ate loads of food and drink.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tonight this one turns up! Even smaller and soon as I picked him up he was trying to lick the water off my hand as id just fed the fish, so food and water offered and again he sat there munching away for what seemed ages.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately given they're wandering on their own, no sign of a big hedgehog and are obviously extremely hungry and thirsty I think its safe to assume mum is likely flat on a road somewhere or has abandoned them.

2. NoobCannon

Soldato

Or killed by the cat

3. kindai

Soldato

I kid you not, that cat is scared of butterflies. Shes the most useless cat at being a cat ever.

4. koolpc

Capodecina

Maybe she is transitioning?

5. Bouton Aide

Caporegime

Have you just assumed the gender of this hedgehog?

6. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Capodecina

Lovely, well done for feeding them
    We have lost a horrible amount on hedgehogs over the last 40 years

7. SMN

Wise Guy

Out of interest, what do you feed them? I wouldnt know where to start!

8. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

Good man! :)

When they're bigger, get a hedgehog house and always leave some water out.

Might be worth giving a Hedgehog sanctuary a call and ask for some advice.

9. Regy53

Mobster

My Mum has a hedgehog rescue centre she started it last year when one was doing the same thing. She has really taken to it and has a big room in the garden outbuildings dedicated too it. She litraly has a microscope and checks their poo etc. She has people bringing her hedgehogs from all over and has gained a lot of support. I think they eat dog food but for any body intrested i can find out if you like

They are messy little things but most are riddled with lungworm and the likes. Quite cool but very time consuming

Little plug for her FB page, hopefully allowed
    https://www.facebook.com/wixamshedgehogs/

10. bazzabear

Mobster

A few years ago, we found a massive one in our completely enclosed back garden. God knows how it got in - they must be very accomplished climbers.

I used a shovel to pick it up and move it to the front garden instead so it could escape (they're usually covered with fleas so I didn't want to get any closer).

11. Usher

Mobster

We have them visiting also, give them cat food and water, do not listen to anyone who says give them milk as it's harmful

12. Regy53

Mobster

Ok the old dear has said

" Yea needs to be taken tk a rescue eapecially if oit in the day2
    "Tok small to survive on own. Can help bu putting shallow bowls of water out and meaty flavoured kitten kibble, soaked in water "

13. MassiveJim

Wise Guy

Have you just assumed that the hedgehog identifies with a gender ?

14. Bouton Aide

Caporegime

Have you just assumed that I assumed that koolpc assumed that the hedgehog identifies with a gender?

15. #Chri5#

Soldato

Nothing more than meaty cat/kitten or dog food. We have at least two regular hedgehog visitors (I've seen them both at the same time in person and on camera). They munch through a small saucer of Morrison's Complete dry cat food each night.

As above, 'hogs shouldn't be out in the day. If they are, they need help as they are starving / dehydrated / ill:

https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/found-a-hedgehog/

16. kindai

Soldato

Yes its being fed some mashed up cat food, they were both dehydrated, and have been offered plenty to drink and theyre both looking much better this morning for it. I think mum hedgehog has likely been squashed and thats why theyve started roaming out the nest looking for food/water.

17. fonzee

Soldato

Good on you. These poor buggers need every bit of help they can get. As has been said keep them watered and fed until you can get them to your nearest hedgehog sanctuary. May be worth looking out for any others?

Had the same thing with baby squirrels last year. Was fantastic to see them eventually released back into the wild few months later.

18. Jimbeam3678

Capodecina

Assuming it was a grey variety, you might want to rethink releasing them next time :)

http://squirrelaccord.uk/uk-laws.html

19. Rroff

Man of Honour

2-3 weeks back I nearly ran one over and saw several squashed ones - wonder if the time of year or weather or something has made them active.

20. Mr-White

Capodecina

All you need now is a fox and an echidna :D