I know Tx is my upload speed what is Rx

Associate
I have 2 green arrows next to my clock on my desktop when i point the mouse pointer over it it say dsl modem Tx:448Kbps and Rx 8128Kbps i know 448 is my upload speed is Tx my download speed if yes is 8128 2MB

Associate
OP
i just changed my isp they said i will get 6-8 MB on my phone line but only gettin 2MB at the moment if Rx says 8MB does this mean my phone line can do 8MB cos they said i have to wait 10 days for my speed to reach max

Caporegime
Dilzem said:
i just changed my isp they said i will get 6-8 MB on my phone line but only gettin 2MB at the moment if Rx says 8MB does this mean my phone line can do 8MB cos they said i have to wait 10 days for my speed to reach max

In English?

You're currently synching at 8 Mbps. You might not currently get that download rate, but it depends to some extent on your ISP.
The 10 days is mostly irrelevant - it's statistical more than anything.

Soldato
Dilzem said:
What does synching mean

ADSL = Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line.

When you connect your modem / router, it goes through a period of synchronisation when it establishes how fast a connection it can get on the line. This changes with distance, the further you are from an exchange the lower your synch is liable to be (you'll notice most broadband adverts state 'up to xxMb', rather than 'guaranteed xxMb', truth is there are so many factors that affect it its impossible to guess).

As for downloading speed, forget that, slow speeds could be down to your ISP, their ISP, their servers being hammered, them not having enough bandwidth etc. etc.. Use a proper speed checking tool, like, http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp and use that as a basis for identifying what you're actually getting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Garp said:
ASDL = Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line.

ADSL :p
</pedant>

As for downloading speed, forget that, slow speeds could be down to your ISP, their ISP, their servers being hammered, them not having enough bandwidth etc. etc..

Quite. That's why giving more information is always a good idea.
From the sounds of it, it's an IPStream Max service, and the BRAS cap's got a bit sticky. But that's partly a guess (on the back of mentioning 10 day waits).

Use a proper speed checking tool, like, http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp and use that as a basis for identifying what you're actually getting.

Mmmm maybe. The ideal's a big file from somewhere like http://download.zensupport.co.uk/ and measure the average.

Soldato
tolien said:
ADSL :p
</pedant>

No idea what you're talking about *whistles innocently*

To be honest, I spend more time looking at SDSL stuff than ADSL so SD is something I type a little more often ;) b'support and first line do the ADSL stuff.

Associate
OP
cheers garp ive tested my speed on that site but it always comes lower than it is i can download at 240kbps max they said i can get 6-8MB and BT said i can get 2-8 but can only down at that speed

Caporegime
Well they're the only people who can do anything about it, so you don't have much choice.
Of course, migrating to an ISP with a clue would've been a good idea, but it's a bit late now.

Soldato
I'm also still having problems after nearly 4 weeks on ADSL Max (AOL ISP) and i can only get a stable line of around 220kb/s. It's absolutely frustrating when i am syncing at 7.2mbps or over. That is also using a router. :(

Back
Top Bottom