I miss how gaming made me feel

Soldato
It's something people don't talk about so much these days, but about 10 years ago when the console versions and PC versions of games started to merge and everything was a port one way or the other I think something died. To me there is a certain style of game creation that has vanished that used to be synonymous with PC.

Something I have found incredibly refreshing lately is playing a free stand alone total conversion for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. called
Anomaly

https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly

When I play this I get the old school feel of PC gaming, you are playing it and you just know this could never exist on console. These are the experiences I look for now, the games that were not designed for both keyboard and mouse and controller. I think there is something about games you can tell were made by a smaller team vs the AAA experience of a big team. Too much polish and constant icons and prompts for which controller button to press just ruins immersion.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's something people don't talk about so much these days, but about 10 years ago when the console versions and PC versions of games started to merge and everything was a port one way or the other I think something died. To me there is a certain style of game creation that has vanished that used to be synonymous with PC.

An interesting thought. I can see where you're coming from. Back in the days before the PC was considered accessable for gaming it was the Amiga/Atari ST and Sega/Nintendo. I think the machines had more of their own identity, as the PC did when it first came out. But now all the brands are mixing it takes away some of the uniqueness.

Also back in the day all these machines used to have their own parts. Like the Amiga had chips designed for it, as did the Atari ST etc. The same in the early days of the PC. These days the PC, Xbox and PS will all be using the same technology. The console brand is really a knock off of the PC these days (I play most games on console, so not knocking them).

You're right about the lack of creativity. Look at the whole battle royale craze. Most of the top games jumped on the bandwagon and added a battle royale mode. Or we have companies like EA with Fifa and other series, repeating what they did in the previous year. There shouldn't be a yearly release of those games. When the Fifa releases started it coincided with football tournaments, so you'd get one every 4 years for world cup and euro cup. Making similar releases every year means they are draining themselves of ideas.

Associate
The lack of modding hasn't helped either, that really used to bring the online gaming community together
I remember spending hours at a time in the BF2 sandbox mod with friends, creating stupid bases, spawning 100 tanks above each other, creating giant staircases into the sky to drive your humvee off, creating dirt race tracks and racing each other around etc. The modding side of things was fantastic, and really open to anyone with a keyboard and mouse. I can't really think of any great games recently that had a good mod / sandbox mode, and that's a real shame.

Soldato
I got heckled loads for having my yera of birth in my tag, got bombarded so much I paid to change it lol

This kind of reveals, to me at least, that you're lacking a bit of fortitude - maybe that is impacting how you look at things and over-analyze them possibly? Why the hell should you care about people poking fun at your age online? You'll never meet them, and shouldn't care about them or their opinion; why let it affect you enough to actually cost you money.

I'm nearly 40, and have 3 or 4 people I sometimes play online with, and it's rare they're all online at once, and/or wish to play the same game - it's usually just 1 or 2 who I play with occasionally.

I have always preferred single player games for their stories, so my gaming time is biased towards that - I knocked PC gaming on the head when the 360 was released, and haven't gone back since. Maybe, like someone suggested, you look at spending more time on those.

V F

V F

Soldato
An interesting thought. I can see where you're coming from. Back in the days before the PC was considered accessable for gaming it was the Amiga/Atari ST and Sega/Nintendo. I think the machines had more of their own identity, as the PC did when it first came out. But now all the brands are mixing it takes away some of the uniqueness.

Also back in the day all these machines used to have their own parts. Like the Amiga had chips designed for it, as did the Atari ST etc. The same in the early days of the PC. These days the PC, Xbox and PS will all be using the same technology. The console brand is really a knock off of the PC these days (I play most games on console, so not knocking them).

You're right about the lack of creativity. Look at the whole battle royale craze. Most of the top games jumped on the bandwagon and added a battle royale mode. Or we have companies like EA with Fifa and other series, repeating what they did in the previous year. There shouldn't be a yearly release of those games. When the Fifa releases started it coincided with football tournaments, so you'd get one every 4 years for world cup and euro cup. Making similar releases every year means they are draining themselves of ideas.

Every game just about has a Battle pass now. Even The Division 2, no Battle Royale thank god but it has 100 levels (to be purchased) for gear/cosmetics/weapons/mats/craft-able items. Just like Quake that is/was a PC exclusive has a 3 month Battle-pass that resets. Quake's is also to be purchased if you want all the items.

The real funny thing is Quake Champion's engine is a console engine from Halo and yet it's PC only but the sad thing is so much of it is a mess it's not fixable unless it's a rewrite but they wont do it. 3 and a half years into its life and it's still the same mess.

Back
Top Bottom