I need a new desk

Soldato
I currently have an office-style L-shaped desk with 1" steel tubing under the edge and I want something more suitable for my PC. And nicer. Just a straight plank about 5' long with some sturdy uprights and cable management underneath (and with three monitors and umpteen USB devices there are a LOT of cables) and an appropriate depth (help me out here!) for PC use. My monitors will be on monitor arms clamped to the edge, not stands.

I've looked at John Lewis and Ikea and not been impressed, though Ikea's Idasen comes close in style. I don't want veneered chipboard, much less the cardboard that's inside the Idasen.

I'm not afraid of a little carpentry. So I thought of a wood kitchen worktop which I could trim as needed, but are they actually suitable, from where should I buy one, and what about the uprights?

Permabanned
Soldato
Buy a solid wood kitchen worktop of your choosing, cut to your desired length. Couple of legs, I used these.

https://www.hartleysdirect.com/hartleys-industrial-square-table-legs.html?vat=2&psku=777240159#e&gclid=CjwKCAjw-5v7BRAmEiwAJ3DpuBkvZNguLixbMmWAmTr8WPdlEQZ35_muh0fdN0Evk1MIj8t-GOvnMhoCrdsQAvD_BwE#966=141&967=894

Miles better quality than anything you'll buy premade for the money. Just attach whatever cable management you want to the underside, it's solid wood, so just screw it in.

I had some existing worktop from a kitchen I ripped out. It's 120x60, fits 2x 32" 4k monitors plus speakers, HOTAS, mic boom, lamp etc.

If I was buying the wood new I'd probably go for 70cm depth for a bit more room.

Soldato
I don't see where you can get solid wood tops at a reasonble price ? you might stumble on an offcut, but otherwise,
the likes of the ikea (staved) ones, if you want a piece big enough, deep enough, its going to be £200+,
you'll probably still have to join it if you want an L too plus the cutting for a nice curve.
add on the steel feet, and possibly under-support, with it's additional weigh you'rer adding £200. (mid_gens example)

The pre-built veneered ones, melamined ones, are nearer £250.

I currently use an re-purposed pine kitchen table, so I'd say look on gumtree too.

Soldato
I don't see where you can get solid wood tops at a reasonble price ? you might stumble on an offcut, but otherwise,
the likes of the ikea (staved) ones, if you want a piece big enough, deep enough, its going to be £200+,
you'll probably still have to join it if you want an L too plus the cutting for a nice curve.
add on the steel feet, and possibly under-support, with it's additional weigh you'rer adding £200. (mid_gens example)

The pre-built veneered ones, melamined ones, are nearer £250.

I currently use an re-purposed pine kitchen table, so I'd say look on gumtree too.

A lower cost option that I have used is pine timber-board such as:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-General-Purpose-Pine-Timberboard---18mm-x-600mm-x-2350mm/p/110150

£51 for 2350 x 600 (18mm thickness), whilst it may not look as nice as oak, ash or beech it's quite nice with a clear varnish.

Caporegime
Got a karlby ikea walnut worktop on 2 of thier drawers units.

I need another one to make it an L (too much crap) and just waiting for it to come in stock.

Looks great.

Id post a pic but I'm not finished yet

Soldato
Funnily enough I was looking at upgrading my current desk to a nice kitchen worktop one.

Seem to find many normal desks are not very deep (typically 60cm like my current ikea one), finding something between 70 to 80cm is somewhat rare.

Any other links to good kitchen worktop sellers?

Soldato
Looking at doing the same, got a 3m span in my study so going to get setup for semi permanent WFH or a homework area for my daughter when she needs it.

just trying to decide if 600 would be deep enough or to spend the extra on 720

Soldato
Probably 12kg in the middle where there's no support. Can always add a leg if you're worried?

resting with fore-arms/elbows is going to massively exceed the monitor, I would think ... sometimes 1/2 sit on work colleagues desks .

- previous discussion https://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/
so if you do 30kg in middle of a 2m/620 40mm particle board(kalby'esque?) span you get 6mm , or with 19mm plywood , I'd mentioned, 30mm! (only one type of plywood listed)

Soldato
I'm looking further at kitchen worktops from Worktop Express like this one

yiwdD4a.jpg

and I'm wondering if they'll support any weight since they're just blocks of wood glued together

Yes, adhesives are quite strong (evostik wood glue for example claims to be as strong as the wood itself), whilst I couldn't give an exact figure it would be fine for a desk.

What sort of weight would you be placing on it? My beech worktops support my weight.

Back
Top Bottom