I need a new desk

Soldato
I would not have thought that would be a problem for a 1.5m/ 5 ft desk but for peace of mind I would attach a length of timber or angle along the back underneath (screwed into the wall) for support.

Associate
Have a look on the 'show us your desk' thread, many members have used kitchen worktop for a desk.

Ahhh, one of the nicer desks I saw on someone's setup on reddit was what they called a "butcher's block" and when I searched for it I only really found US stuff, but thinking about it it is totally just a kitchen counter ... if I ever ditch my crappy little desk (shall be no time soon) then I'll have to look into that more ... though they're still pretty pricey just for a lab of wood from what I saw (especially as I'm the type that need my forearms on the desk so need it to be pretty deep... not sure how that'll go with the pullouty tray on mine when I swap from a laptop to a proper build with a monitor and keyboard, but it was a hand-me-down so hopefully I'll make it work).

Soldato
fq9Na71.jpg

This is 120x60cm. I'd probably go a little bigger if I was ordering it specifically for a desk, but this was recovered from a kitchen I ripped out.

Those are 32" 4k monitors. Plenty of room!

Associate
Did have it resting on 2 drawer units, but now got an electric riser desk frame from Amazon that it's mounted on.

What did that frame set you back, I had a look and only saw a £300 one but not sure if that's due to things being sold out and price inflated while everyone works from home, I'm guessing there's no budget option for something like that (just that door trick seemed like a much more affordable than other stuff I'd seen so thought maybe you'd found a similar way to save on the frame)... do you often swap to the standing mode, and do you keep your computer on top of the desk and it deal with that weight (and monitors, etc) and stuff fine? ... I'm wondering if maybe I should look more into standing desks as my back isn't doing great.

This is 120x60cm. I'd probably go a little bigger if I was ordering it specifically for a desk, but this was recovered from a kitchen I ripped out.

When you say bigger, which dimension do you find off, like the depth for arm room or you'd want more width for stuff on the sides? ... what did you do for the legs, I can't really see them much in the picture.

Soldato
What did that frame set you back, I had a look and only saw a £300 one but not sure if that's due to things being sold out and price inflated while everyone works from home, I'm guessing there's no budget option for something like that (just that door trick seemed like a much more affordable than other stuff I'd seen so thought maybe you'd found a similar way to save on the frame)... do you often swap to the standing mode, and do you keep your computer on top of the desk and it deal with that weight (and monitors, etc) and stuff fine? ... I'm wondering if maybe I should look more into standing desks as my back isn't doing great.

When you say bigger, which dimension do you find off, like the depth for arm room or you'd want more width for stuff on the sides? ... what did you do for the legs, I can't really see them much in the picture.

The legs are the black steel ones from Harvey's I linked earlier in the thread.

I'm quite happy with the size, it never feels cramped, and it doesn't dominate the room.

It wouldn't hurt to have an extra 10cm of depth though (oo-er), so the monitors could sit a bit further back.

I've got a couple of offcuts from the worktop that I plonk on top of IKEA drawers that extend it off to the left to house the printer and consoles.

Permabanned
Just buy one, the one I posted cost me £141 if in stock you will have it next day.

I like many read that entire massive desk thread and some were OK but many looked just like they actually are are (a board with legs screwed on).

As some have found the better quality worktops for kitchen are expensive and the cheap idea desktop are honeycombed cardboard filled if you cut it you will have an ugly end to look at.

I seen someone says theirs cost £300 to make, well £300 on the site I bought my desk+chair from will buy you a hell of a lot of desk, various colours/finishes, sizes,shapes, accessorises.

Associate
It wouldn't hurt to have an extra 10cm of depth though (oo-er), so the monitors could sit a bit further back.

Yeah that's what I'm wondering about ... turns out my dad has some old teak lab bench top from the 60s or something kicking about and I thought it might be cool to use that, but it's only about 60cm deep (and not that wide, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem) and that firedoor someone linked earlier was about 68 or something (and pretty cheap), and while a lot less cool I feel that extra 8 cm as someone with long arms and very much a forearm on table requirement might make or break things...

Soldato
Yeah that's what I'm wondering about ... turns out my dad has some old teak lab bench top from the 60s or something kicking about and I thought it might be cool to use that, but it's only about 60cm deep (and not that wide, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem) and that firedoor someone linked earlier was about 68 or something (and pretty cheap), and while a lot less cool I feel that extra 8 cm as someone with long arms and very much a forearm on table requirement might make or break things...

I never find myself wishing the desk was larger, if that helps. If I had access to a piece of aged teak that was 60cm deep I would jump at it tbh, it'll make a lovely desk!

Plus sanding and oiling the wood is really satisfying and gives you something to do in lockdown :)

Associate
I never find myself wishing the desk was larger, if that helps. If I had access to a piece of aged teak that was 60cm deep I would jump at it tbh, it'll make a lovely desk!

Plus sanding and oiling the wood is really satisfying and gives you something to do in lockdown :)

Yeah I might go for that then, I just mentioned it to him off the cuff and he mentioned the lab bench and is much handier than me so might make for a good little project to do with him - he was already talking about how to build a carcass to sit it on (personally I would have said frame) and stuff.

Permabanned
In all honesty I should have gone 200mm (1000mm vs 800mm) longer for my desk but it seemed big at time when ordering after measuring where it is going with a tap measure, just goes to show it is hard to tell what it is going to be size wise unless in the flesh

Associate
In all honesty I should have gone 200mm (1000mm vs 800mm) longer for my desk but it seemed big at time when ordering after measuring where it is going with a tap measure, just goes to show it is hard to tell what it is going to be size wise unless in the flesh

Actually you've got me double checking there myself .... the bench I'd use is 120 I think, but looking at the product specifications on overclockers of the monitor I'm thinking about it says it's 808.89 (I presume mm) as it's an ultra wide, and that doesn't leave a lot of room to the side to put a computer and maybe the sub that my speakers plug into on the other .... though I guess that last bit is less important and I could have something underneath to house that, also I could let the monitor overhang on the side without much trouble too as it's not like the stand is that wide.

Man of Honour
I currently have an office-style L-shaped desk with 1" steel tubing under the edge and I want something more suitable for my PC. And nicer. Just a straight plank about 5' long with some sturdy uprights and cable management underneath (and with three monitors and umpteen USB devices there are a LOT of cables) and an appropriate depth (help me out here!) for PC use. My monitors will be on monitor arms clamped to the edge, not stands.

I've looked at John Lewis and Ikea and not been impressed, though Ikea's Idasen comes close in style. I don't want veneered chipboard, much less the cardboard that's inside the Idasen.

I'm not afraid of a little carpentry. So I thought of a wood kitchen worktop which I could trim as needed, but are they actually suitable, from where should I buy one, and what about the uprights?

I have the Mokka Executive as does the wife only hers is smaller...

https://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/mokka-executive-rectangular-panoramic-panel-end-desks.html

Brilliant desk from the same vendor as @JohnG7 well worth the money imo.

Soldato
OP
I have the Mokka Executive as does the wife only hers is smaller...

Thanks but despite having a L-shaped desk now, I don't want my new desk to be L-shaped.

I've ordered a 2m oak top and the industrial legs. I've also orderd an oak strip which I'll use as a modesty board behind which to hide the cabing. Plus it will also hide the angle iron I'll be using to brace the desk. Now I just need to get some furniture polish.

Man of Honour
Thanks but despite having a L-shaped desk now, I don't want my new desk to be L-shaped.

I've ordered a 2m oak top and the industrial legs. I've also orderd an oak strip which I'll use as a modesty board behind which to hide the cabing. Plus it will also hide the angle iron I'll be using to brace the desk. Now I just need to get some furniture polish.

Yea mine isn't L shaped, I mean it can be but mine is just 1.8 meter long :) its a properly nice desk though.

Soldato
Worktop express oak worktop here - works a dream

IMG-20200920-160716-01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom