1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need some help please

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by JBuk, 23 Jul 2006.

1. Celestial Caravan

Hitman

Stop going on about a bridge, already. The OP is NOT in the business of joining two LANs. He's merely trying to introduce one more machine to an existing LAN.

2. tolien

Caporegime

You're still missing the point - the massive majority of wireless APs has the wired and wireless interfaces bridged...

So to summarise:

3. Gandalf501

PermaBanned

"Except that the other machine works fine, so you are wrong..."

And?

I was trying to help the OP, being told I am wrong and he doesnt need a bridge is not helping the OP at all. Im assuming the two laptops have their OWN seperate wireless network cards?

If they dont, and he is using his fathers network card then it will certainly be a configuration problem.

Anyway, YOUR wrong (hows it feel)

4. Celestial Caravan

Hitman

Good grief.

A bridge device is used to JOIN TWO LANS which may be both wired, both wireless, or one of each.

The OP doesn't have TWO LANS. He's merely trying to introduce an additional computer into an existing LAN which already, successfully, uses a mix of wired and wireless devices.

And it's "you're" not "your". So you're wrong again.

5. JBuk

Capodecina

well, i have just this minute figured it out and got it working, and i cannot believe it was something so simple :o i wish there was an emoticon for slapping my forehead and saying "DOH!"

it was a simple case of me having the wep key my dad gave me wrote down incorrectly :o

yet the network was still saying i was connected to it? i dont understand why this was- if anyone can shed some light...

well guys, thanks for all your help..much appreciated , even though the problem was my own stupid fault (i`m going to blame my dad though ;) )

6. Celestial Caravan

Hitman

It's usually the case with these frustrating network problems.

Please tell us you didn't use a bridge :D

7. tolien

Caporegime

Windows always does that. Though you should've found you got the "limited or no connectivity" message when the machine was set to get an IP automatically (or wound up with a 169.x.x.x IP).

8. JBuk

Capodecina

nope, no bridges here, well theres one behind my house for getting over the river but thats irrelevant :p

the network now has, adsl to router , one pc wired direct to router , a switch upstairs wired to the router with my pc on that , the wireless AP also to the router with 2 laptops now both connected ;) & another pc using the wireless

so alls well, until my dad gets his electicity bill :eek:

9. JBuk

Capodecina

i probably did get that message but i never noticed it , thats me all over :rolleyes:

ahh well, ive learned a hell of a lot about wireless this last week, infact i`m even thinking of getting a laptop , the freedom is great, surf the web and sunbath at the same time, mint :)

10. Gandalf501

PermaBanned

To Tolien
    To Celestial Caravan

"I hope I havent burnt any bridges with you guys"

No hard feelings eh? The networks working and might I say

:D

11. Celestial Caravan

Hitman

No probs mate :)