I own a celebrity domain name

Suspended
i thought that under these circumstances if you turn them down and are not actually using the name they can take you to court to try and forcefully take the name.

Be cheeky, as for more money :D

M0T

M0T

Soldato
Apparently they can just go through the court process and end up with you giving it to them and getting nothing in return. You could try asking for a higher figure but at the end of the day it sounds like you have no legitimate claim to the name so you will lose it.

Man of Honour
At a guess if they've offered you money for it you won't get any sort of summons.
I'd hold out for whatever you think it's worth & get what you can out of them, you can't do much with it anyway:)

Caporegime
As you're doing little other than squatting, I can't see their being much mileage in taking the dispute further - You may have more luck if you turn it into a fansite (an claim this as your intention all along).

The individual concerned has not automatic right to the domain, by ICANN will not look kindly on you in any dispute if it's blatantly obvious you're just holding out for cash.

Make a fansite, and the offer may increase by a large amount - at the moment, they're just offering nuisance change, as that's all it is.

Do it.

Permabanned
£500 (circa) stuff them. It could cost you that to host content on that site.

Actually there is a point. Host content on the site that is in NO WAY related to said celebrity. That way you can say you are using it in case their briefs get nasty!

Permabanned
What do you have on the domain, or is it just parked?

If it's the latter and you're simply squatting on a domain that somebody else has rights to, you'll lose it.

But if you're found to be using the domain for a legitimate purpose and the copyright surrounding the name is weak, you'll have superior rights.

However, it all depends on what the domain name is. What it is it?

Soldato
maybe try and make out that you want to keep it - for example: thank you for your kind offer but i bought the domain name so i could make a webpage for my good friend david hasslehoff who just happens to have the same name as a famous person.

you see, that way you are not being malicious and it makes you appear that you have a genuine reason for having it - see what they say - they might up the offer.

of course they may want to meet this person - maybe make it a nickname instead.

Soldato
Oxbow said:
Actually there is a point. Host content on the site that is in NO WAY related to said celebrity. That way you can say you are using it in case their briefs get nasty!

I'd say thats a bad idea, hosting a fansite would give him a valid claim to the site. By hosting any old stuff on it will show that he is just squatting on the name and they will have more call to the domain than he. Or at least thats they way I see it.

Soldato
Take the money.

It won't go to court, it'll go to ICANN and pass through their UDRP. If you make the mistake of trying to get additional money for it, then you'll almost definitely have it taken off you and get no recompense.

If you refuse the initial offer, the best result you can hope for is that ICANN will rule in your favour and you'll retain the domain. Most likely result is that you will be judged to be a cyber squatter and have it taken from you.

Take the money and walk away.

http://www.icann.org/udrp/

reflex said:
Its yours man - they cant just take it off you cos other people think there some kinda 'celeb'

Milk it

Yes, they can and will.

Last edited:
Soldato
Get someone in the HGP Forum to knock up a splash/coming soon page for your 'fansite'. Reply, tell them it's been your intention to host the largest, bestest fansite everer-er and ask for more money. Lots more.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Ciba said:
Post the link, get it OcUK'd and then say its worth more due to traffic figures.
Ah yes, the legendary 'OcUKing' of a link, where nearly 150 people descend upon a defenceless webserver.

My advice is to make a creepy fansite, verging on the stalkerish, then say it would take a considerable sum for you to give up your passion. $5000 dollars is a drop in the ocean to them.

Back
Top Bottom