I really dont like Gateway

Don
Well I got in at 8am this morning to one of our servers being down, an old gateway one, which is still essential to our business (We have two of them) anyway I went to see what was wrong and noticed that BOTH PSUs had failed... totally and utterly...

Ok... well our plan was to take out one of the PSU from the second Gateway server and have one in each... we were just looking at the PSU sizing it up when with a huge bang and flash one of the PSUs on the second server gave way... so there went that plan.... my luck...

So we have a supplier contract for the two (7 year old mind you) Gateway servers and have just been told that the only place in the UK they can find the PSUs (proprietary gateway PSU) is in scotland (I'm based in Chester)... so I'm going to be here untill about 7.30ish tonight... all fun and games.

I just thank god that it didnt go yesterday when the England match was on... wouldnt of been impressed then... I was thinking about going out tonight as well... dont think thats going to happen

Stelly

Associate
Sorry that you live in chester, its not really brilliant for going out in especially at the weekend so you wouldnt be missing much staying at work.

Gateway is rubbish, will a normal psu not fit? just nip down to sealand road ****** and go get one. then just ask gateway to come next week.

Don
OP
paddyuk said:
Sorry that you live in chester, its not really brilliant for going out in especially at the weekend so you wouldnt be missing much staying at work.

Gateway is rubbish, will a normal psu not fit? just nip down to sealand road ***** and go get one. then just ask gateway to come next week.

proprietary gateway PSU, its never easy!!!

Stelly

Soldato
Has the surge protection flagged any problems? For rapid successive failure like that there might have been some kind of outside influence?

Maybe it's time to change over to a more common equipment supplier?

Don
OP
nutcase_1uk said:
Has the surge protection flagged any problems? For rapid successive failure like that there might have been some kind of outside influence?

Maybe it's time to change over to a more common equipment supplier?

Yes we have switch to the Dark size and are now looking a phasing out the Gateway servers anyway... the system that is on them is very out of date and do need updating...

We have a backup generator for the datacentre and that has surge protection on it that engineers have just checked

Stelly

Soldato
You're quite lucky..... well relatively speaking. When our Gateway Servers PSU went the only place we could get replacements was the USA :eek: We got shot of them after that, although we still have two old Elonex servers *shudders*

Associate
One of my first ever store-bought PCs was an Elonex. It died.

I also had a Gateway... which also died.

I got a HP computer that is still 100% and it's about 4 years old.

Back
Top Bottom