I spent most of Sunday building a clay oven - Lots of big pics

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Scuzi said:
For best results a fire will be lit in it for about 2-3 hours to heat it up. The embers will then be removed and the clay and firebrick will maintain the temperature in the oven at around 300C for up to 8 hours.
Another option is to keep the embers going in the base and cook stuff over a grate which can be set into it.

Not a good way to make a quick luch then if its not all fired up and ready to go :p

Man of Honour
OP
Zip said:
Not a good way to make a quick luch then if its not all fired up and ready to go :p

Nah, it's not exactly ideal for throwing a few oven chips into :p
It's more intended for baking and cooking larger meats and whatnot. We'll be using it to smoke meats too.

Caporegime
Scuzi said:
For best results a fire will be lit in it for about 2-3 hours to heat it up. The embers will then be removed and the clay and firebrick will maintain the temperature in the oven at around 300C for up to 8 hours.
Another option is to keep the embers going in the base and cook stuff over a grate which can be set into it.

are you sure? that clay over looks a bit thin to me to be able to retain heat consistantly for 8 hours.

Soldato
Photoshopped tbh!

:rolleyes:

looking good apart from the surface isnt exactly that smooth, im a bit of a perfectionist, but apart from that cant wait to see it in action :D

Man of Honour
OP
Raymond Lin said:
are you sure? that clay over looks a bit thin to me to be able to retain heat consistantly for 8 hours.

It's about 4 inches thick all around. We haven't tested it properly yet but having looked at a few websites (search earth oven or adobe oven) most people seem to think that it can hold heat for an average of 8 hours. We'll probably not need it for that long, 5 at most maybe.

Soldato
How much did it cost to make and how much will it cost to run?

Could be the answer to the upcoming gas shortage. : )

Permabanned
Mickey_D said:
Nah, I like it, too. But it's a little on the small side for my liking. I would've had the thing about 8 or 9 feet in diameter!! :p Big enough to cook like 7 pizzas in.....

Yanks

:p

Tis abit small but so is my £2 disposale BBQ but its does its job. :D

Soldato
cheets64 said:
Yanks

:p

Tis abit small but so is my £2 disposale BBQ but its does its job. :D

Nah, it's just my nature. :p

I'm getting to the point of almost saving enough for the magnets for my first windmill.

Only problem is I need 24 of them. That's $804.20 USD!! :o

You see, I'm not starting out small. I'm going the whole shebang. I found out that I am NOT restricted in height like I thought I was!! I can go 200 feet up before hitting height limitations. Which means I CAN build a 20ft, 3 bladed, dual rotor axial flux alternator wind generator on a 140ft tower!!

Look out Red Lake Electric cooperative!! I'll be giving you back your meter soon!!

Man of Honour
OP
norm said:
How much did it cost to make and how much will it cost to run?

Could be the answer to the upcoming gas shortage. : )

150Kg Red Clay - £35
15 Breeze blocks - Free
Firebricks - Free
Small bag of cement mix - £4

So for all the materials it cost £39 to build. Bargain :D

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Scuzi said:
150Kg Red Clay - £35
15 Breeze blocks - Free
Firebricks - Free
Small bag of cement mix - £4

So for all the materials it cost £39 to build. Bargain :D

The look on the neighbors house when the wind blows in his direction-Priceless :D

Soldato
Mickey_D said:
You see, I'm not starting out small. I'm going the whole shebang. I found out that I am NOT restricted in height like I thought I was!! I can go 200 feet up before hitting height limitations. Which means I CAN build a 20ft, 3 bladed, dual rotor axial flux alternator wind generator on a 140ft tower!!

If you stand on your roof here you need planning permission :(

Back
Top Bottom