I.T Job

Soldato
so ive been working for a year and ive decided to go back to college, im wanting to aim for a job in I.T, helpdesk, Server Technician, Support, that kind of thing, what qualifications are normally needed for the job. What college courses to aim for a job in I.T, and if i decide to go to uni, what type of courses would i need to study there.

thanks for any help, much appreciated

Soldato
Same! Steer clear if possible. Helpdesk is really boring and the hours can sometimes be anti social imo. Trade is the way forward. Can't afford to go learn one though. Need my job. :(

Permabanned
Indeed, get a trade as a plumber/electrician/joiner/builder and your quids in.

The IT sector is far too competitive and there are too many people with the skills already.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Clerkin said:
I recommend you stay clear of that career path. Done me no favours at all. If i had my time over i'd do a trade. In fact i still might.

Same here although it hasnt done me that much harm so far. Helpdesk is the place to start but is a pain. I dont have any IT qualifications at all and have made it successfully through a few years without any problems.
Experience > qualifications imo.

Soldato
I'd probably jack all my IT knowledge in too in exchange for decent plumbing/building/electrician type skills. I would probably enjoy it more too :o

The industry is way too saturated unless you really excel in one area.

Associate
it seems weird that at school the teachers would push you towards the I.T qualifications at college and all of the drop outs go into one of the trade courses at college and ten years down the line there earning double you

Soldato
Nismo said:
I'd probably jack all my IT knowledge in too in exchange for decent plumbing/building/electrician type skills. I would probably enjoy it more too :o

The industry is way too saturated unless you really excel in one area.

I feel exactly the same these days and post the same in every thread like this :p

Shame I didn't do some kind of building or joinery, I need a loft conversion!

Associate
iJedi said:
ditto to what has already been said the only thing ill add, taking a job in IT took the fun out of my hobby in computers

i totally agree with that coment!!

i am also at the stage where i have completed just over 2 years helpdesk suppport and have been learning using pcs for a long time.

i dont have any formal it qualifications but have a lot of knowledge and am at the stage i really need some to get some proper it qualifications to get a new job.

im really starting to consider my options at the moment as most of the jobs i have been applying for have at least 100 people applying for them :eek:

Soldato
same here,

been working in IT for 9 years now, started at the bottom now the manager of a large team, Money is crap though and mates who were drop outs in school who are now roofers an such earn more.

Computers were a hobby now im sick of them.

Crazy i know, been thinking of joining the army as an officer in the tank troop now lol.

Back
Top Bottom