i think i've solved the fat problem

Caporegime
Lol this is basic biology and you people I thought as of intelligent just shatter that myth.

Excess heat generated in normal activity is retained more by fat insulation and causes more sweating to cool via evaporation. It's a vicious cycle.

Ever wonder why fat creatures tend to do well and have evolved in cold and wet environments. Not on land or tropical climates.

I don't actually know if you people are taking the Mick just to get more insults in or generally have zero biological understanding, which is odd on this information era.

I have to stop reading these threads :p They drive me bonkers.

do these fat creatures eat a lot of processed and refined foods? or food in it's natural state. you cannot compare them directly to humans

Caporegime
2 generations ago you didn't have as much industrial food sources or processed foods.

it was actually world war 2 that really pushed processed foods and made it apparent that it could be used to make money.

the soldiers were the first people to be given processed and refined food sources. after the war ended they then pushed those same foods onto everyone.

it also doesn't help corrupt scientists have made myths turn into facts. such as fat is unhealthy. refined oils are healthy, etc.

Too much fat is unhealthy, people seem to forget that these days and just focus on sugar.

As for 'processing' that's rather unspecific, something being processed isn't necessarily going to cause anyone to put on more weight. Something packed with plenty of sugar etc.. perhaps will.

Last edited:
Soldato
100cal of sugar will make you crave more food, while a 100cal of fat/protien is far more satiating and does not cause the blood sugar roller coaster. Which means for a lot of people it is next to impossible to stop at say 2000 calories if you eat at mcdonalds.

While I do agree with you to a certain extent but what are the other alternatives for measuring your daily intake of food? Calories is only a rough guide but it does give you a easy way of working our weather you have eaten too much or too little. At the end of the day though, if I only eat 1500 calories a sweets a day, I would loose weight but if ate an healthy balanced diet of 4000 calories I would gain weight.

By the way a gastric band works by limiting the amount of food a person can eat so they feel full quicker and can't over eat. Kind of like stopping them having too many calories. :p

Man of Honour
Too much fat is unhealthy, people seem to forget that these days and just focus on sugar.
which fats, what context and what evidence?
US had a chance to change their nutrition guidelines and didn't, and based it on cherry picked data. You will find most fat studies show no increase in overall mortality. Although some do find increase in CHD mortality, but again overall mortality is the same, that's if you even trust the study in the first place one of the studies the studies they used was based, it wasn't just measuring far the low fat group had diet intervention and where told to avoid processed foods, avoid sugar and eat whole foods. not surprising they found a link when the study was so poorly designed. however other people have gone in and adjusted the results for those premature and when you do that, there's no risk.

Man of Honour
While I do agree with you to a certain extent but what are the other alternatives for measuring your daily intake of food? Calories is only a rough guide but it does give you a easy way of working our weather you have eaten too much or too little. At the end of the day though, if I only eat 1500 calories a sweets a day, I would loose weight but if ate an healthy balanced diet of 4000 calories I would gain weight.

By the way a gastric band works by limiting the amount of food a person can eat so they feel full quicker and can't over eat. Kind of like stopping them having too many calories. :p
yes calories have a use, but a calorie is not a calorie on the affect it has in the body, which is what 96% of peopel are saying as well as teh marketing. just have this slice of cake its only a couple of hundread calories you can fit it in. Totaly ignoring what affect it has on the body.
Thats the thing and why it fails, you will not just consume 1500 calories of sweets, you might have the willpower for a day or so, but you will break as your entire biology is telling you to. This is why a calorie is a calorie message utterly fails.

and no that is only one way gastric bypass works, it totally changes your hormones. your stomach produces Ghrelin which is massively reduced as 90% of your stomach is removed, and it also bypass the first part of the large intestine which produces another hormone. This combined with teh physical size is why it's so successful.
Even with a small stomach you can still eat all day and gain weight as some people do.

Caporegime

As for 'processing' that's rather unspecific, something being processed isn't necessarily going to cause anyone to put on more weight. Something packed with plenty of sugar etc.. perhaps will.

too much of anything is unhealthy.

however all fats aren't the same.

i could eat 100G of 1 type of fat per day and it be healthy.

i could eat 50g of a different fat per day and be extremely unhealthy even though it's still fat.

it's the fact that so much BS has been spread about which ones are healthy and unhealthy most people don't know which ones actually are healthy.

for example:

bad - rapeseed oil, veg oil

good - coconut oil

but coconut oil is saturated fat. so much crap has been spread about saturated fat and it's all untrue. saturated fat is actually healthy fat. but you get different types of saturated fat. some which should be eaten in moderation others which can be had aplenty.

whereas the processed and refined oils (fats) are all bad as the body doesn't process them right. even though on paper they look healthy as they are full of supposedly good fats (not saturated fat).

the number 1 thing you can do is stop using margerine and replace with butter. stop using vegetable oils and replace with coconut oil.

yet every single nutritionist and study that gets spouted about tells you the exact opposite.

Caporegime
I wouldn't pay too much attention to "nutritionists", it is dieticians you should be listening to. Yes of course you need some fat, but don't start thinking that because the current thing is to be super careful about sugar intake that you can just ignore fat intake too. I don't think the popularity of "the Atkins" diet helped with this... high cholesterol is not cool.

Just eat a balanced diet, eat your greens... it isn't rocket science

Soldato
yes calories have a use, but a calorie is not a calorie on the affect it has in the body, which is what 96% of peopel are saying as well as teh marketing. just have this slice of cake its only a couple of hundread calories you can fit it in. Totaly ignoring what affect it has on the body.
Thats the thing and why it fails, you will not just consume 1500 calories of sweets, you might have the willpower for a day or so, but you will break as your entire biology is telling you to. This is why a calorie is a calorie message utterly fails.

/QUOTE]

What is your suggestion then on how to tell people they are eating too much then?

Just eat a balanced diet, eat your greens... it isn't rocket science

People just don't want to hear it's that simple.

Caporegime
Indeed, some of the attitudes in this thread are atrocious and massively narrow minded. I'll wager those with said attitudes are not perfect themselves.

This isn't really about anything other than some name calling. Don't get pulled into it. This is still safe ground for some venting, unlike the religious or immigration type threads.
At the end of the day people need to make themselves feel better by having a shared "enemy" targets are pretty "thin" right now, :p so this old chestnut comes up. Sometimes it's tax related, NHS related, fast food related the catalyst is unimportant it's the feeling of unity that mobbing a group gives that is.

Soldato
I don't know, maybe a diet that actually understands biology and therefore gives you a far better chance as it deals with the hormones as well as medical support for depression or other mental issues.
rather than bad advice and no support.

So a balanced diet under your TDEE? I was fat and then one day decided to just eat less(plus a more balanced diet) and exercise more, ended up losing 3 stone. People asked me how I done it yet would turn their nose up when i told them the truth. Eat less, eat smarter, do some exercise(not needed but helps). A lot of people aren't used to the feeling of being hungry, it's not a bad thing and while your stomach might protest for a bit, you get used to and get over it.

Man of Honour
So a balanced diet under your TDEE? I was fat and then one day decided to just eat less(plus a more balanced diet) and exercise more, ended up losing 3 stone. People asked me how I done it yet would turn their nose up when i told them the truth. Eat less, eat smarter, do some exercise(not needed but helps). A lot of people aren't used to the feeling of being hungry, it's not a bad thing and while your stomach might protest for a bit, you get used to and get over it.
you do realise this doesnt work for 95% of people and what do you call a balanced diet? does it include the usual calories in calories out eat that slice of cake etc?
or we talking whole foods, no processed, lower carbs more protine etc?
feeling hungry is a bad thing as most people will break after a short while it is also avoidable with the right diet.

whichever way you cut it, the governments advice is bad and is a major course of obesity, as it does not controll the hormones.

Man of Honour
Doing a 8:16 fast has taught me that most "hunger" I have experienced was habitual hunger rather tha actual hunger, only took 2 weeks to retrain my brain/stomach.
absolutely, but you are also changing your hormonal response, which also lowers hunger. Ghriline response is largely learnt, so if you eat 3 times a day your ghrelin levels will rise at those times, which is why snacking, especially regular snacking is so bad. It also as you have experienced does not take long to change this.

there are usually two things for weight loss in most people physical and mental. Solving only one usually results in failure and current advice solves neither.

Soldato
Doing a 8:16 fast has taught me that most "hunger" I have experienced was habitual hunger rather tha actual hunger, only took 2 weeks to retrain my brain/stomach.
100% agree with this.

One thing I notice about people who fail diets/loosing weight, is they try one that is unsustainable in the long run. It should be a whole lifestyle change with the goal to eat better your whole life. From my experience it seems Women are the worst for this, they will juice or only eat carrot sticks for a month end up loosing a stone but a few weeks later are back to eating 4 biscuits with their tea 5 times a day and buying loads of sweets.

Associate
ok, so crazy idea bad pitch.....

so we've recently acquired 2 new cats in our household on top of our existing resident. the previous resident is young and healthy, and pretty normal.

however the 2 newcomers are ex laboratory cats, so they've been used to being stuck in a cage with a daily feeding ritual and not much else.

so they can't regulate their eating, so you need to give them servings, but the previous cat is used to just having a full bowl and eating when he wants (and he can maintain a healthy weight)

our solution is his food bowl is now up on a shelf that only he can jump up to, bit unconventional but it works, and this is where my idea comes from- why not do this to humans?

instead of sugar tax or whatever, just make all fast food restaurants have a physical challenge as an entry barrier, like say a rock climbing wall, if you're fit enough to climb the wall and carry your food down you can have it, but if your too fat it'll stop you, same goes for supermarkets.

so gd, genius or madness?
Where are you seeing this fat tax? I got a 500ml bottle of coke for £1.09 for lunch, every bottle, can and carton were price marked in the corner shop.

Back
Top Bottom