1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my shutter just died, options?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by cyKey, 27 Feb 2006.

1. cyKey

Sgarrista

Ok I have an 18-24 month old 10D. Its shutter is rated at 50,000. I was out on a gig tonight and it just locked shut. Its permantly covering the sensor. I've got at least 34k of RAW files on my PC. Give or take photos I've deleted and random tests I'd say its done at least 40-5k of photos. So what should I do? Should I look at getting it repaired or just look to getting a 20/30D? I have 0 cash at the moment so obviously the repair option is probably best. I need my camera to make money and I need it asap.

2. Sleepyd

Hitman

First of all: :(

I'd get it in for an estimate on the cost of repair. I've heard of instances where people with cameras that are just out of their warranty, or in your case, shouldn't have really failed, have been repaired free of charge. You should be able to tell the number of shutter actuations by file names? No?

Good luck.

3. cyKey

Sgarrista

Oh I forgot, I bought it from Gurnsey so I'm not sure where I stand in regards to the UK warrenty.

4. Slime101

PermaBanned

Try the warranty option first, repair wont be cheap or particually quick. You have no chance of getting a 30D as they arent avail yet AFAIK so that leaves a now superseeded 20D as the quick option....which might be good as prices are falling with the new model on the horizon.

I would lend you my spare body Pete...but i'm a Nikon man!

5. MrSix

Soldato

Claim on insurance for a new cam, they'll give you the money to replace it - so a 20D with goodies, or a new 30D body.

6. cyKey

Sgarrista

Will do :) Cheers.

Only got house insurance to cover it from accidental damage.

7. DizMatt

Mobster

shame you didn't drop it then which caused the lock.....

8. [email protected]

Associate

you forgot the *cough* and the wink wink nudge nudge

9. SDK^

Capodecina

I've heard Shutter repairs cost around £200
    You've found an excuse for a 20D ;) :p

I have a couple of weddings in the next few weeks, otherwise you could have borrowed one of my 20D's for a while.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2006
  10. Darryn

Mobster

It may be too far as I live in Colne, near Burnley, but if your desperate for a camera for work you could borrow my 20D for a few weeks, I wont be needing it as ive got work commitments. Also as i dont drive youd need to pick it up and drop it off after.

The offers there though, email me if interested.

11. cyKey

Sgarrista

£200 is still technically cheaper than £750 :)

Cheers for the loan offers guys. Thankfully I don't have anything major coming up. Which is technically a bad thing as I have no money coming in. I'm going to buy some Ilford 3200 and try that out on my film camera this Friday. I've just put my Sigma 10-20 on it and aside from vigneting it appears to work. Its fine at 14mm.

12. Johnny|lucidcomposure

Sgarrista

Store local to me is selling a 2nd hand 10D for £395 But you never know, that could of shot its 49,999 photo.

13. sloth

Hitman

My friend dropped his D30 and had the shutter repaired/replaced by Canon. It cost £275, and took them 6 weeks. Not what you wanted to hear. :(

14. MrSix

Soldato

Yeah, i'm all for the accidental droppage excuse - say you were taking photos while you were in the bath and *ooops* it just plopped in....(the camera that is :p)

15. cyKey

Sgarrista

Can you believe its actually snowing for the first time in about 4 years? **** Thankfully I do have my EOS50 and my Sigma 10-20 does work on it at 14mm. Oh and my Dad said we have to pay the first £150 of a house insurance claim anyway.

16. Slime101

PermaBanned

Yes but which is better....£150/200+ for a fixed 10D...or £150 which will payout enough to cover a new 20D/30D :D

17. AndyBorzi

Wise Guy

You had better make sure the house insurance is aware that it is a personal item and not used for business!

18. Slime101

PermaBanned

Its just my sons camera guv, he likes taking photos but took a tumble coming down stairs and dropped the body which is now broken....

(as said by petes dad on the claim form!)

19. cyKey

Sgarrista

Apparently the insurance would just pay to get it fixed though.

20. Slime101

PermaBanned

Oh not worth it then :(

Have you contacted Canon yet about the warranty?