I Think my water cooler on PC is faulty

Associate
I've had a Medion Erazer Desktop Gaming PC MD8424 for about 5 years. Spec: Intel Core i7 3930K, Windows 7, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680, Cougar psu 750w (installed a new psu as the one medion installed was only 600w) ssd hd and seagate 2tb hdd.
Last night the CPU was running at 65c and the water cooler fan came on really loud. I have medion erazer centre which gives cpu temps and fan speeds. The cpu went as high as 79 degrees so i turned the machine off. Cleaned all fans this morning ( I clean them every few months) still making loud noise coming from the back of PC!! The CPU fan was running at 4200rpm at one point, the PCH fan 4300rpm and case fan 2100rpm. so I turned the machine off.
Could it be the water cooler and how do i replace it? It has a black radiator a fan that blows air out the back of the PC. There's two pipes, one is warm the other cooler, which are attached to a round fan above the cpu. I've never cleaned this fan. This is bolted to the board with four screws and it looks like there's a metal clip or wire thing under it?? I'm worried if i remove the fan it could damage the cpu, my friend did this to his pc, tried to remove the water cooler and damaged his processor pins. I virus checked my pc, it runs and boots up, ran malaware bytes too nothing suspicious.
Could it be the water cooler?? THe water cooler has made a ticking noise like a hhd but it's not from the hhd, so could be that? In all the 5 years, never reapplied thermal paste or done anything to the water cooler.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had a Medion Erazer Desktop Gaming PC MD8424 for about 5 years. Spec: Intel Core i7 3930K, Windows 7, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680, Cougar psu 750w (installed a new psu as the one medion installed was only 600w) ssd hd and seagate 2tb hdd.
Last night the CPU was running at 65c and the water cooler fan came on really loud. I have medion erazer centre which gives cpu temps and fan speeds. The cpu went as high as 79 degrees so i turned the machine off. Cleaned all fans this morning ( I clean them every few months) still making loud noise coming from the back of PC!! The CPU fan was running at 4200rpm at one point, the PCH fan 4300rpm and case fan 2100rpm. so I turned the machine off.
Could it be the water cooler and how do i replace it? It has a black radiator a fan that blows air out the back of the PC. There's two pipes, one is warm the other cooler, which are attached to a round fan above the cpu. I've never cleaned this fan. This is bolted to the board with four screws and it looks like there's a metal clip or wire thing under it?? I'm worried if i remove the fan it could damage the cpu, my friend did this to his pc, tried to remove the water cooler and damaged his processor pins. I virus checked my pc, it runs and boots up, ran malaware bytes too nothing suspicious.
Could it be the water cooler?? THe water cooler has made a ticking noise like a hhd but it's not from the hhd, so could be that? In all the 5 years, never reapplied thermal paste or done anything to the water cooler.

It sounds like the pump has failed.

What cooler is it?

Soldato
Does your pump have a 3 or 4 pin header with it? you could plug that onto a fan slot then check the rpm in bios, It does sound like you pumps failed so it'd show 0 rpm.

Back
Top Bottom