• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I want the best Graphics out there

Soldato
I think PC gamers are very hard on consoles.

I have Final Fantasy XIII on PS3 and it's better looking than any PC game I've ever played.And I have Crysis.

It's amazing how a card based on the 7 series can do so well.Admittedly it's only at 720p though.

I agree with you there. My PS3 continues to impress me with different games. I know my PC is much more powerful but I'd struggle to really impress a console only gamer apart from with Crysis and maybe 1 or 2 others. If you chose a random multi-format game, it would probably look 10-20% better and need a side-by-side comparison to fully appreciate the difference. For every game where there is a notable difference between the two, there is a turkey of a port like GTA4 that runs dreadful on a system that can play Crysis etc.

With PC gaming, it's easy to get side-tracked into the hardware side of things, thinking more power = better but if there is no games to make use of it then it's not fun

This is where PC games should be today. Look at this, running on a humble PS3. Graphics, Gameplay, Story, Relevant cut-scenes, believable characters. It's a classic game in every sense. Now the important bit, someone has made that just to run on the PS3. Think about that for a second then imagine what someone could make for a PC. It's just a shame it doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Soldato
LMAO, console games play at 30 FPS and have major slow down in intense action, scale them up to standard PC rez and they look like pap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryohh View Post
I think PC gamers are very hard on consoles.

I have Final Fantasy XIII on PS3 and it's better looking than any PC game I've ever played.And I have Crysis.

It's amazing how a card based on the 7 series can do so well.Admittedly it's only at 720p though.
You should sell that 8600GT and play crysis with a " proper GFX card " ;p

Last edited:
Associate
LMAO, console games play at 30 FPS and have major slow down in intense action, scale them up to standard PC rez and they look like pap.

You should sell that 8600GT and play crysis with a " proper GFX card " ;p

PC games also have slow down in intense action.That's kind of what makes it intense.

There are console games that run at 60fps.

I'm never for a second saying that the PS3 is more powerful, just that there isn't much difference between games.

A lot of PC games are just console ports now due to the prevalance of piracy for the PC and due to this PC versions don't really look much better.

As said above you can have as much power as you want but the developers have to take advantage of it which they are not.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
well i sold my 5870 and am now using a 4870 purly for theses reasons above, it runs wow fine and settlers 7 just fine. I was given a xbox 360 so i use that for other games, like red dead and alan wake. So far i dont regret selling it at all, £300 just sitting there running console ports at 150fps lol

Soldato
To the OP try buying the following on PC then run @ max gfx to see how stunning they look vs the console version:

GTA4 + DLC
Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY
Fallout 3 GOTY
Resident Evil5
Lost PLanet Extreme Colonies Edition
Devil May Cry4
Street Fighter 4
Assassins Creed 1
Splinter Cell5
Bioshock1 + 2
Star Wars Force Unleashed
Dirt 2
COD MW2
Dark Void
Fuel
Battlestations Pacific

Just search the following thread from the last page backwards to see many stunning examples of games you can buy on the PC most of them are under £10 now as well :D

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17732710&page=339

PC is obviously the ultimate gaming machine by a long way & what the next gen consoles will be but available right now. Unfortunately, for many reasons publishers/developers prefer the easy money to be taken from console owners but I have yet to meet one who was not blown away by how far ahead the PC is graphically & almost every other way (except for some of the MP stuff sucks bigtime. MS really need to make an Xlive equivalent on PC like they are trying to do with GFWL but polish it up & make the experience more seamless for PC gamers).

Soldato
To the OP try buying the following on PC then run @ max gfx to see how stunning they look vs the console version:

GTA4 + DLC
Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY
Fallout 3 GOTY
Resident Evil5
Lost PLanet Extreme Colonies Edition
Devil May Cry4
Street Fighter 4
Assassins Creed 1
Splinter Cell5
Bioshock1 + 2
Star Wars Force Unleashed
Dirt 2
COD MW2
Dark Void
Fuel
Battlestations Pacific

Just search the following thread from the last page backwards to see many stunning examples of games you can buy on the PC most of them are under £10 now as well :D

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17732710&page=339

PC is obviously the ultimate gaming machine by a long way & what the next gen consoles will be but available right now. Unfortunately, for many reasons publishers/developers prefer the easy money to be taken from console owners but I have yet to meet one who was not blown away by how far ahead the PC is graphically & almost every other way (except for some of the MP stuff sucks bigtime. MS really need to make an Xlive equivalent on PC like they are trying to do with GFWL but polish it up & make the experience more seamless for PC gamers).

It depends what you consider a 'stunning' difference. Here's a comparison of batman Here's one for SF4 (tbh, I don't see how you improve the look of that game without making it into something that it isn't). Here's Bioshock2 I can see differences with that, mainly on the water but nothing I would call stunning (I only own the PC version btw)

Last edited:
Soldato
The majority of 360 games run at barely 30fps and use 2x MSAA. Plus they are low res 720p games scaled to 1080p. PC games with the right hardware can run at 2560x1600 or higher (beyond HD) and support up to 32XAA. The difference is obvious.

Associate
OP
thanks for all the replys ... I sucessfully wow'ed the PC critiques with a crysis warhead display with natural mod cranked up .. the 480GTX lapped it up

Also for those interested there are some tec demos on the nvidia site including the heaven tec demo ... looked very impressive ..

also I got round to getting jsut cause 2 and Metro 2033 ... biggest difference I noticed was with just cause 2 the water looked fantastic ... PhysX ? I don't know if this is limited to nvidia cards but that is the best water I've ever seen.

Soldato
thanks for all the replys ... I sucessfully wow'ed the PC critiques with a crysis warhead display with natural mod cranked up .. the 480GTX lapped it up

Also for those interested there are some tec demos on the nvidia site including the heaven tec demo ... looked very impressive ..

also I got round to getting jsut cause 2 and Metro 2033 ... biggest difference I noticed was with just cause 2 the water looked fantastic ... PhysX ? I don't know if this is limited to nvidia cards but that is the best water I've ever seen.

It uses cuda, and it has big impact on the FPS, what are your temps like gaming?

Associate
OP
It uses cuda, and it has big impact on the FPS, what are your temps like gaming?

aaahhh good stuff I knew there was a good reason Nvidia card :D

temps are mid 80's after an hour long gaming session ... That is with the voltaged tweaked and core at 850Mhz .. I did have it higher but it was running a bit warm so pulled it back a bit.

I have a custom fan profile that ramps up from 50% -100% pretty sharply once the temps start to hit 60deg but I only get temps up to 60deg if Im gaming and if that is the case I have the speakers blasting or a headset on so the fan noise isn't a biggy for me.

Associate
OP
you wanted the best gfx out there... yet you got a 480GTX?

the 5970 is the best

yes granted the 5970 is a faster card but it was a streatch too far £500+ vs the 480GTX OCUK at £380ish.

Also This post was more about finding games/tec demos to showcase graphics than cards ...

Infact if to be accurate BFBC2 or Crysis will look exactly the same on a 480GTX max settings as a 5970 max settings ... as long as the frame rate stays above 40FPS there shouldnt be a difference.

also Nvidia's cuda/PhysX also allows additional graphical features in some games that have ben developed for nvidias ... so strictly speaking, if u want the best graphics out there at the moment then the 480GTX could be considered better :p

Associate
OP
results as thus

480GTX

Voltage 1125
Core 850Mhz
Shader Clock 1699Mhz
Memory Clock 2101 Mhz

Max temps 76 deg through out testing

Heaven 2.1

Settings

Render:direct3d11
Mode:1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Shaders:high
Textures:high
Filter: trilinear
Anisotropy: 16x
Occlusion: enabled
Refraction: enabled
Volumetric: enabled
Replication: disabled
Tessellation: extreme

Results

FPS: 24.3
Scores:612
Min FPS: 15.0
Max FPS: 60.0

3DMark Vantage

P25061

GPU Score - 20740
CPU Score - 66828

Crysis Benchmark

18/06/2010 00:59:40 - Vista 64
Beginning Run #1 on Map-island, Demo-benchmark_gpu
DX10 1920x1080, AA=8x, Vsync=Disabled, 64 bit test, FullScreen
Demo Loops=1, Time Of Day= 9
Global Game Quality: VeryHigh
================================================== ============
TimeDemo Play Started , (Total Frames: 2000, Recorded Time: 111.86s)
!TimeDemo Run 0 Finished.
Play Time: 59.55s, Average FPS: 33.58
Min FPS: 23.65 at frame 141, Max FPS: 41.02 at frame 877
Average Tri/Sec: -9678160, Tri/Frame: -288169
Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -3.18
TimeDemo Play Ended, (1 Runs Performed)
================================================== ============

Completed All Tests

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>>--SUMMARY--<<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

18/06/2010 00:59:40 - Vista 64

Run #1- DX10 1920x1080 AA=8x, 64 bit test, Quality: VeryHigh ~~ Last Average FPS: 33.58

Not sure how this stacks up but looks reasonably good

Associate
GTA 4 or Crysis, but TBH OP, ANY PC game today will destroy ANY console game in terms of graphics. The main differentiating factor however, is the size of the screen. If you have a big screen, your console friends will be awestruck.

Back
Top Bottom