1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to boost my Graphics - can it be done?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Drake5, 11 Apr 2006.

1. Drake5

Capodecina

Hey guys,

Im running a Radeon 9550 9X AGP 256MB GFX card.

Intel Celeron D

2GIG Memory

And it wont run oblivion right, it is a little laggy ,

Is there a programme or something that can make this run decent?

Like a booster or something ?

Thanks

- Denic

2. DaveyD

Man of Honour

You could overclock your graphics card, but you'd get a very very minimal if anything improvement.

3. Stellios

Capodecina

Hmmm, theres a program that was posted on here a few months ago that lets you tweak your system settings. It gave me a slight performance increase but cant reember what it is called.

Thiers also another one called GameXP, available HERE which will give a few tweaks, but a word of warning, its disables your system restore capabilities and your auto save for word processing etc (the system that retrieves unsaved data after a system crash).

You could have a go at overclocking your GFX card, but i doubt itll give a huge improvement.

4. chopchop

Banned

hm a 9550, best thing you can do is get a better gfx card and cpu.

5. Drake5

Capodecina

As far as im concered, my computer is good, just my gfx card sucks.

Btw, are you gonna buy me the GFX card? :o

6. HangTime

Man of Honour

No amount of system tweaking will give you good performance in Oblivion with that graphics card. My recommendation would be to set the resolution to 640x480, with AA and AF disabled, and make sure all the sliders in your ATI driver control panel are set to max performance. Also overclock your graphics card to the limit because you need all the power you can get.

If you look at this benchmark, you will see that even in a game from a couple of years ago (splinter cell), at 640x480 your card averages under 21fps: http://img.neoseeker.com/v_thumb.php?articleid=1662&image=7

If you are tight for cash, there are some reasonable secondhand cards available for £50 or less (e.g. one of the 9700/9800 series cards), which will be vastly superior to your current one.

7. Drake5

Capodecina

When you mentioned to put all my slides up to max, most of them have the box checked that says "Let the aplication decide"

8. Psyk

Sgarrista

What speed is the CPU? Celerons aren't really all that great.

9. Stellios

Capodecina

its a 2.93GHz celeron D i think he said when i spoke to him.

The GFX card definately takes priority, but anything above a X800XL would bottleneck, so no real point paying for more than that. Theirs some tasty deals in the MM at the minute, especially the Arctic Cooling 9800pro for £50.

10. nikebee

Capodecina

especially for gaming, they're budget CPUs... even if you had the latest AGP graphics card (the 7800GS or that 7800GT that gainwind released) you'd be HUGELY held back by the Celeron :-/

11. Lanz

Soldato

Bottom line, your pc sucks, spend some money or buy a 360 & Oblivion.

12. AshFU

Hitman

Celerons are great for word proccessing, but dont kid yourself and think they can handle todays games, anything faster than a 9800 along side that cpu will be wasted

13. squiffy

Banned

Agree with the other posters about the CPU, you need to replace that with a P4. If you were asking about playing older games probably get away with it, but not Oblivion. You'll probably have to set resolution and detail to the very lowest to get good performance.

Basically upgrade PC time. At least you have 2GB of RAM. If possible swop out the Celeon CPU for a P4, and get a good GFX card as well.

14. Insanity

Wise Guy

Fixed.

15. DaveyD

Man of Honour

The problem is, he doesn't have the money to do any of that, being young not having very much money.

16. Lanz

Soldato

There is a conversion patch/mod out that changes all pixel shader 2.0+ to 1.1 allowing Geforce3 & 4 to work, maybe this would work much better with slower dx9 cards.

17. Psyk

Sgarrista

But he can probably put in a P4 without a new motherboard. But tbh if you really want to play it in pretty much full graphics, xbox 360 would be the best value for money.

18. "andy"

Capodecina

9550s use the same cores as 9600pros so youll easily get 400-450 mhz out of it ,well i did with the one in my mums word processing computer :D

it will still play oblivion rubishly though :(

19. LoopyLee

Gangster

The 9550 are locked and you need ATI tool to unlock them. You can get as high as 450mhz out of the GPU very easy. That hard one is the memory. Depending on the memory depends on the overclock of it.

I got 425mhz GPU but only increased memory from 200mhz to 210mhz anything after that caused problems.

Hope that helps

20. m3csl2004

Hitman

mine cant even handle a 9800pro :( - his will be better but not maissively lol