I was drooling today grrrr press photographers and their lens

SCM

SCM

Associate
The political bandwagon hit Dunfermline today and i was there talking to the bank and hitting my head against a brick wall.

Came out and wandered down to chemist to pick up something and had to walk past the Liberal Democrat bandwagon and all the press guys with expensive lens, cameras and in some case 2 cameras as if one wasn't enough.

Wasn't for the crowd one of them was losing his equipment :p

SCM

Associate
yea last year at duxford while shooting with my 20D i was inches away from two chaps in the press enclosure both with a beautiful 1D's boasting approiately expensive lens and when i looked down (to hide my shame...) i saw the both had carbon copy backups just lying on top of their bags... must've been in case they were too lazy to remove the CF cards :o after all thats hassle - easier to just pickup your spare camera and point and go!..... grr

dod

dod

Soldato
SCM said:
and in some case 2 cameras as if one wasn't enough.
I suppose one isn't enough for these guys. All it would take is for the something to break and they miss tomorrows front page picture. If it's their livelihood they need to make sure they don't miss a shot.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
It takes 8-10 seconds to change a battery and about the same to change a CF card - longer if it is cold.

8-10 seconds is a long time for you to miss something in!

Then of course there is the usual "what if something goes wrong" too...

Soldato
If you are a professional photographer then £12k+ on camera gear is entry level stuff. When picture taking is your business you can't tell the subject to hold the pose whilst you swap lenses.

Spending thousands on camera gear is just the same as a builder having to buy a van and tools etc.

I have 2 Canon 20D's and the L lenses to go with it - one is usually fitted with my 24-70L and the other my 100-400L, so if I spot a photo opportunity I'm ready.

Miss the photo and you go out of business - it's as simple as that

Man of Honour
Mmmm camera pr0n :D

original.jpg

And since two seems to be the theme:

14305DUAL_1200_S.jpg

:eek: :D

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

I wonder what focal length those lenses are :eek:

One word sums it up really: blimey.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Beansprout said:
First one I guess is the 600 or 800, second two are the Canon 1200s :D

1200's!! What do they use them for? Spotting planets!!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Two 1200mm in the same place. I'm sure hardly any of them exist.

As for the first one my guess is a 300mm 2.8.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
xolotl said:
Two 1200mm in the same place. I'm sure hardly any of them exist.

As for the first one my guess is a 400mm 2.8.

I think the 1200mm only sold in double figures or so, the $76K price tag probably having something to do with it. They're not available anymore due to the toxicity of the chemicals used in making the big lens elements.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
rpstewart said:
I think the 1200mm only sold in double figures or so, the $76K price tag probably having something to do with it. They're not available anymore due to the toxicity of the chemicals used in making the big lens elements.

Its a weird one that, the same reason that I heard for the 200mm 1.8 being discontinued. Leaded glass being too toxic to grind. However I am sure some of the super teles (600mm and 400mm 2.8 spring to mind) must have bigger elements in.

Back
Top Bottom