• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i3 8100 or Ryzen 3 3100

Associate
Hi guys

I know that the Ryzen is a better cpu before I start.

I need to build a gaming machine for my son and on a budget. He will be playing games like Borderlands 3 at 1080.
I am looking at putting a GTX 1660 super in, seems to be a good balance of power and price at this resolution.
I already have a spare i3 8100 and want to know if there would be a huge gain in selling it and going for a Ryzen 3 for gaming at this res?

Thanks

Soldato
I would get the Ryzen 3 3100 as it has 8T which should mean smoother gameplay in more games. Also there will be an upgrade path for the rig down the line.

Edit!!

Not to say the Core i3 8100 won't be OK either,but the Ryzen 3 3100X would cover more bases IMHO OFC.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply. I will see if my funds can stretch. Would the i3 be a big bottle neck for a 1660 super?

Soldato
Thanks for your reply. I will see if my funds can stretch. Would the i3 be a big bottle neck for a 1660 super?

It depends on the game,it might be OK with BL3,but some other games can have poor minimums with a 4C/4T CPU. CEX sells the Ryzen 3 3100X secondhand for £70,and buy the Core i3 8100 with vouchers for £40. So,that will cost you £30 for the CPU. You will need a CPU cooler and this should do the job,if you don't have a spare cooler:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arct...qNTTBDWKIT7a9KFMqZg88LdM_ZyPAtChoCE-cQAvD_BwE

Associate
OP
It depends on the game,it might be OK with BL3,but some other games can have poor minimums with a 4C/4T CPU. CEX sells the Ryzen 3 3100X secondhand for £70,and buy the Core i3 8100 with vouchers for £40. So,that will cost you £30 for the CPU. You will need a CPU cooler and this should do the job,if you don't have a spare cooler:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arct...qNTTBDWKIT7a9KFMqZg88LdM_ZyPAtChoCE-cQAvD_BwE
Thanks for the reply, is CEX safe to deal with?

Back
Top Bottom