i5 2500k overclock on asus P8Z77-v LX

Associate
Newbie here guys, needing some help.
As per thread title.
Tried using the fully auto tool first. Gave 4.3 GHz and upped base freq too. Temps were in mid 80s using Prime95.
Found a youtube guide for manually doing 4.5GHz. Voltage manually set to 1.35, bclk 100. Tried an IBT and temps got up to 95 on a 10x cycle on high, but it didn't crash and completed test.
I am a bit concerned about those temps though. I think max Vcore was just over 1.4.

Would appreciate some help setting this up. 4.3 or ideally 4.5 would be good.
My cooler is an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro Rev2.
8Gb DDR3, Win10.
Thanks
Iain

Soldato
What level of load line calibration (LLC) are you using?

If you run CPU-Z alongside IBT you'll notice the voltage fluctuates at 100% load. This may cause instability if 1.3v is between stable and crashing.

I would recommend High or Ultra High LLC which may end up peaking above 1.3v, but you can reduce this by dropping your manual voltage slightly.

1.4v on air is pretty much a no go. I used to own a 2700k which I ran at 1.368v for 4.8GHz but that was under custom water. Water limit is around 1.425v, anything above becomes almost impossible to cool efficiently.

Associate
OP
Thanks for replying.
Had LLC set to extreme.
Found a good video on YT which has helped me understand what to do and should apply to oc's generally. Got a better grasp of things now.
I'll try from scratch tonight & report back. 4.5 would be a good result.
Cheers
Iain

Soldato
No problem. If you stick to manual voltage for now, try and find stability around 4.5 1.35v using ultra high LLC.

Your cooler seems to hold up quite well considering, but if you're going to be using this for extended periods of time you'll probably want to look for an upgrade.

Associate
OP
Not had opportunity tonight, too busy watching that vid and getting my head round the basics.:(
Will start voltage low and increase multiplier gradually etc and see where I get to.
Might need to pop cooler off and give everything a good clean. Will need to get some TIM before I do that, but hope to get a good bit over stock before I need to.
Thanks again :)

Associate
for 4.5 use medium llc and offset voltage of between +0.005 to +0.025v (my guess is youd need +0.015)
you dont need to used fixed vcore or any llc setting above medium.

Associate
OP
Ok, progress report.
Started at bottom and worked up.
Got to 3.9GHz @ manual 1.215v 74max temp in 2 cores, others were 2 lower. Tested for 30min in OCCT. LLC on ultra, turbo on, eist on.
Am I on the right track?
I will continue tomorrow night, temps might limit progress I think.
Zipp0r, I'll give your settings a try too.
Thanks for the help guys :D

Iain

Associate
OP
Thought i would try using the offset method suggested.
+ 0.015 for multi 44 , pll overv off and llc high - got BSOD and uncorrectable error message on windows start. Same when using +0.020. So that went well!:(:confused:

Trying manual again now.

Iain:confused::confused:

Associate
OP
Well some more progress :D
Using manual I have it up to 4.1GHz on 1.235v. (cpu-z reports 1.240). Stable for 30min on OCCT. Max temp was 77 on a couple of cores. Think I still had LLC on ultra.
Like to get temps lower, so I'm not going to push it further till I pop cooler off and put some kryonaut on and give bits a good clean.
VID was reporting as 1.39v under load. Does that mean I could give it a go with Offset at 0.15 or maybe less?
Thanks for the input guys:)
Iain

Associate
well the chips default is somewhere around 1.2v so you'd maybe need +0.040 of offset or +0.005 offset and llc medium (if each llc setting works like it does on my board and increases voltage by ~0.040). p.s never use a minus offset. its worth you booting up with a 37-40ish multiplier and actually checking what effect each setting does to your vcore in cpuz when under load. then you'll know how to adjust it to match what you had when using fixed manual voltage or how to adjust it if testing while using offset.

Associate
OP
Sorry mate, not really understanding this offset thing.
At 4.1GHz Vc manual stable at 1.240v, VID reports as 1.390v under load.
I'm not getting how to work out what offset to try. Looks like +0.15 but you're saying 10x less?:confused::confused:
Stable on manual, but I want suss this offset stuff:(

Iain

Associate
it is confusing yes, but when you understand it you'll be like doh, thats actually quite simple lol. ignore VID, only use the vcore shown in cpuz.
basically with LLC turned OFF:
if you add +0.150v onto its default of ~1.20v, you'll hit 1.350v.
if you add +0.040v onto 1.20v you'll hit 1.240v

if your 1.240v target drops under full load to say 1.220v, enable medium LLC and it will add maybe +0.040v and you'd end up at 1.260v, in which case you can decrease the offset to +0.020v and be at your 1.240v target.

is it making sense now ?

Associate
OP
Did some more tests.
At 4.1 LLC off, auto offset Vc under load is 1.304. With med LLC Vc is 1.336v. Temps are higher though. It's stable at manual 1.240 with LLC on Ultra.
With LLC off and +0.040 offset, Vc under load is 1.296.
I'm still not getting it. Never thought i was so thick!:mad::mad::o. Obviously missing something :D

Associate
looks like the default vcore is 1.256v which sounds about right. and each llc setting will boost by 0.032v.
leave LLC off and set offset to +0.005v that'll put you to 1.261v.

if you BSOD or when you want to overclock further you can start to increase offset for smaller amounts or add llc for a larger amount.

Soldato
I'd start by getting your hardware in order before going into minute detail on the overclock.

The freezer pro is a budget cooler but the 2500k is such a good overclocker you should get 4.5ghz with reasonable temps.

Remove the cooler, give cpu and cooler base a good clean. Get a good thermal paste such as as5, read the fitting instructions, put a pea sized blob on the cpu, get the cooler seated nice and squarely and clamped down evenly.

Then after a few on off cycles you should be able to get stable @4.5 ghz in the high 70s low 80s under full load.

Ibt sends my temps spiralling and doesn't reflect my day to day use. I use Cpuid, real temp and a couple of sessions of prime. If it's stable after an hour at 100% that's good enough for me.

Get your hardware set up spot on to get the best out of that cheap cooler.

Associate
OP
Have removed cooler etc. Used Kryonaut paste.
Now running a few degrees cooler than before.
It's stable at 4.1, haven't had time to take it further. When I do, I'll try sneaking it up to 4.5 and only then will I try again with that offset stuff.
Thanks for the help so far guys :D
Iain

Back
Top Bottom