1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

i5 vs Phenom x4 955 for Gaming

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by avatar12m, 4 Oct 2009.

1. avatar12m

Hitman

whats your views on these chips soley for gaming and general hard drive/windows performance ie start up etc

do intel have any road maps to future i5 releases ?

i've looked on lots of forums etc and was wondering whats a good stable overclock with water cooling.

atm i have a x3 720 amd cpu, what got me thinking was the res evil 5 benchmarks with 2 core 3 core and 4 cores there seems to be a huge difference in fps with more cores and higher clock rate.

2. Cooper

Mobster

For gaming there is no point whatsoever in upgrading from a 720BE to a 955.

3. Deific

Mobster

965 is more comparable, seeing as they're exactly the same price and fairly matched

4. Its_Me

Soldato

You better link the info/graphs your reffering too - as thats the onyl way we can sort this misconception out.

5. paininlife

Hitman

6. mmj_uk

Capodecina

If you plan on overclocking then without a doubt the i5 is the better option, at stock there isn't much between them although I'd sway towards the Phenom.

7. sastusbulbas

Wise Guy

From what I have read the 955 can overclock just as well and requires less power? Considering OC's prices though it doesn't seem to make much sense.

8. Shedman

Gangster

i5 overclocks further, is faster by noticable amount and is more power efficient.

9. ~>Dg<~

Caporegime

there isnt much in either thats why there pitched against each other . if it was so vast the prices would reflect it

10. AMG

Mobster

I thought the pII is a great clocker to? probably not clock for clock I think the i5 is better but your paying more

11. paininlife

Hitman

wait for 95w version of AMD Pii 955 and 965 , i think they call it c3 stepping?

12. liamcrane

Mobster

to be honest i have the phenom 955 at stock 3.2ghz and it runs the top end games with ease, played crysis with a constant 30fps with everything on high no slow down at all temps reached 40c max, really dont see the need to overclock a phenom unless your board of course :)