• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 5820K RMA = Incredible Service

Associate
Hi,

Recently, I had to RMA my Intel i7-5820K with Intel and I'm glad to see their excellent service hasn't gone downhill. The CPU was collected by DHL Express and sent to the Netherlands in a day. The next morning a brand new and sealed replacement arrived. All of this was done with loads of e-mails regarding shipment updates which allowed me to prepare for the package arriving.

Really impressed with Intel and wish more companies took the same approach to customer service.

Associate
OP
How come you had to RMA it?

It's a strange story. The CPU was working perfectly in the Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P. Then one say, the electricity went off while the system was switched on. The power turned on and off a few times. Sadly, when switching on the PC after the power outages, there was a black screen. Initially I thought this was the motherboard and RMA'd it to Overclockers who confirmed it was faulty. Tried a second board and still wouldn't post. It appears this issue broke the CPU and the motherboard. I've got both replaced and will be tested it in a day or so when everything arrives.

Soldato
You've been lucky to get RMA, power surge is usually a home insurance claim as it's an external event that caused damage.

I'd be replacing the PSU, if it let enough of a surge through to kill the board and CPU it could have internal damage to the protection circuits.

Hopefully the rest of the PC survived

AD

Soldato
It's a strange story. The CPU was working perfectly in the Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P. Then one say, the electricity went off while the system was switched on. The power turned on and off a few times. Sadly, when switching on the PC after the power outages, there was a black screen. Initially I thought this was the motherboard and RMA'd it to Overclockers who confirmed it was faulty. Tried a second board and still wouldn't post. It appears this issue broke the CPU and the motherboard. I've got both replaced and will be tested it in a day or so when everything arrives.

Haven't you got a power breaker type plug in case of an electric surge? You should get one now seeing as you lost hardware to a electricity issue.

Sounds like fun. :(

Was your PC set to "auto power on" as well? Mine is is to remain off after a power failure to try to avoid this kind of issue.

Back
Top Bottom