• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 5960X Turbo Boost issue

Associate
Hello everyone,

Hope you are well.

I was wondering if anyone else is having this same issue. My new build i7 5960X and ASUS X99 Deluxe is working fine, except the turbo boost never reaches the advertised 3.50GHz. I tried loading the CPU with single threaded, multi-threaded or custom threaded applications, but in no instances it reaches 3.50GHz Turbo. The max it reaches is 3.25 and very rarely hits 3.3GHz, but never 3.5GHz.

Is anyone else having the same issue? I am running BIOS version 1004 and Turbo Boost is enabled in BIOS.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
It's normal mate, the base clock is 3.0Ghz, with 3 > 8 cores loaded it's 3.3ghz, with 1 > 2 cores loaded it's 3.5Ghz. You need to manually set your turbo clocks if you want them to go higher.

gfjIUpg.png

Associate
Hello everyone,

Hope you are well.

I was wondering if anyone else is having this same issue. My new build i7 5960X and ASUS X99 Deluxe is working fine, except the turbo boost never reaches the advertised 3.50GHz. I tried loading the CPU with single threaded, multi-threaded or custom threaded applications, but in no instances it reaches 3.50GHz Turbo. The max it reaches is 3.25 and very rarely hits 3.3GHz, but never 3.5GHz.

Is anyone else having the same issue? I am running BIOS version 1004 and Turbo Boost is enabled in BIOS.

Thanks in advance.

As above , cores needed to be under load in the right way .

Also I think if your using task manager to view clock speeds , ( it isn't very accurate ) I can clock my machine to 4.6 yet task manager reports 4.55 ghz .

Use CPU-z to get a more realtime and accurate clock messurement

Associate
OP
Even though you have turbo boost enabled in the bios have you also got the power saving features on if so disable them and then try again to see if you get the speed your supposed to

Thanks I will look at it again, but from the chart above it seems like everything is in order.

Associate
OP
It's normal mate, the base clock is 3.0Ghz, with 3 > 8 cores loaded it's 3.3ghz, with 1 > 2 cores loaded it's 3.5Ghz. You need to manually set your turbo clocks if you want them to go higher.

gfjIUpg.png

Thanks a lot mate, this I was not so sure of, but now this chart helps. I was a little bit worried.

Associate
OP
As above , cores needed to be under load in the right way .

Also I think if your using task manager to view clock speeds , ( it isn't very accurate ) I can clock my machine to 4.6 yet task manager reports 4.55 ghz .

Use CPU-z to get a more realtime and accurate clock messurement

Yeah I was using CPU-Z to monitor. Also checked with the AIDA64 gadget, which is also not very accurate and lags.

Back
Top Bottom