Associate
Hi all,

Been a lurker for years and finally got round to splurging on a big rig. I'll include the specs below but perhaps useful to put the question i have up here as i am not sure if i have the right section.

Essentially, i have an i7 7820x (please no 'but y not Ryzen' questions from the valuepolice) and I have a be quiet! 360 silent loop AIO cooler. I just wanted to ask other 7820x owners what kind of temperatures they are getting at stock and at idle because i am not sure if i have a terrible 7820x thanks to the silicon lottery or the bequiet! AIO is not good enough (or both?)

I have overclocked to an all core 4.2Ghz at 1.08v which seems to be stable. I replaced the stock fans on the bequiet AIO with 3x Noctua NF12s in a push configuration.

When running:
AIDA64 temps get to around 60-65 degrees.
Cinebench R15 temps get to around 80 degrees.

I managed to get a stable overclock of 4.7Ghz at 1.25v. At this overclock:
the AIDA64 CPU stress test gets to around 80 degrees
the cinebench r15 reaches 105 degrees (i was hesitant but let this one run till completion as the cinebench multithread run is not too long).

It seems as though there is a sweet spot of 4.5Ghz at around 1.15-1.2v however i prefer silence hence the 1.08v 4.2ghz clock.

I have read about some people reaching 4.7ghz at 1.2v with completely manageable temperatures (not the 100+ degrees i reached in cinebench). I have reapplied the TIM 3 times as i thought maybe i had not done something properly, but there is no statistically significant reduction in temps.

So back to my question: Is it a crap 7820x, a crap cooler or a combination of both.(or the skylake x series is just a beast?)

Bonus question: is it worth trying a different AIO? The reviews i read for the bequiet 360 silent loop were all very positive.

Would appreciate any help/advice anyone can offer. If you have any further questions please do let me know! I've included my build below:

Intel Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz (Skylake X / Basin Falls) Socket LGA2066 Processor - Retail
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe (Socket 2066) Intel X299 ATX Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Quad Channel Kit (F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti SC2 HYBRID 11264MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 80 Plus Titanium Modular Power Supply
Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Asus External USB Blu-Ray Rewriter (SBW-06D2X-U)
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass Mid Tower Case - Gun Metal
be quiet! Silent Loop Superior Liquid CPU Cooler - 360mm
Samsung 1.0TB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E1T0B/EU)
Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Razer Green Switch
Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition Ambidextrous Optical RGB Gaming Mouse 16000 DPI
Noctua NF-P14s REDUX 1200RPM 140mm Quiet Case Fan
Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Focused Flow PWM Cooling Fan
Arctic MX-4 Thermal Compound (4g)

Soldato
Brief reply as on my way out - so if i've mis-read anything apologies:

You have excellent cooling in the 'be quiet! Silent Loop Superior Liquid CPU Cooler - 360mm' - and i would have expected your temps to be better at those voltages too. But those CPUs do run toasty...

I replaced the stock fans on the bequiet AIO with 3x Noctua NF12s in a push configuration.

How have you got your AIO set up - venting out the top of the case? If so have you tried pull rather than push?

it's possible you may have a pump issue - poor liquid circulation would deteriorate performance considerably.

Associate
OP
Brief reply as on my way out - so if i've mis-read anything apologies:

You have excellent cooling in the 'be quiet! Silent Loop Superior Liquid CPU Cooler - 360mm' - and i would have expected your temps to be better at those voltages too. But those CPUs do run toasty...

How have you got your AIO set up - venting out the top of the case? If so have you tried pull rather than push?

it's possible you may have a pump issue - poor liquid circulation would deteriorate performance considerably.

No worries, thanks for replying!

Yeah I agree that the bequiet is more than capable of handling this processor but i'm a bit miffed right now as i would expect better temps. If it helps the processor idles at 41-45 degrees with the 4.2Ghz/1.08v overclock which i also think is a little high.

I have the AIO venting out of the top of the case indeed. I have two Noctua P14s pulling in from the front, and a Phanteks case fan pushing out at the back. I have thought about pull but havent got round to flipping the fans over. Also, when i get a chance i'll run some fresh tests so i have fully accurate temps. Some of them may be a bit off as they are from memory.

i have the AIO pump plugged into the AIO_Pump header on the mobo (which is just a straight 12V DC but with an RPM measurement it seems) and the BIOS reports the pump is operating at 2100-2200 RPM which is what the pump is rated for. So, unless this reading is wrong (but how likely is that?) the pump seems to be working?

Soldato
N If it helps the processor idles at 41-45 degrees with the 4.2Ghz/1.08v overclock which i also think is a little high.
Idle temps, as a rule, don't really matter - as long as they're not very high. But I do appreciate the comfort in having low idle temps.

For example one of my PC's has a 2500K @4.5GHz - and it idles at 40+ degrees with a gargantuan Silver Arrow strapped to the top and relatively low voltages. But although the idle seems high - the load temps are fine (in everyday usage) so the two don't always go hand-in-hand. Unfortunately yours do - or at least seem to under synthetic tests...

I have the AIO venting out of the top of the case indeed. I have two Noctua P14s pulling in from the front, and a Phanteks case fan pushing out at the back. I have thought about pull but havent got round to flipping the fans over. Also, when i get a chance i'll run some fresh tests so i have fully accurate temps. Some of them may be a bit off as they are from memory.
I would consider flipping the fans - but even if it proved beneficial the gains may be minimal. These changes usually prove marginal - but can sometimes yield larger results depending on the rest of your cooling setup.

I do agree that your temps seem about 5-10 degrees awry at 1.08V - but this could be down to a poorly TIM'ed IHS- INTEL really need to start soldering again. :/

Delid tool? (but warranty out the window and risk damaging your CPU)

*Additional: What are your gaming/everyday usage temps like? Ignoring Cinebench, if everyday temps are below the AIDA temps you're absolutely fine as synthetic tests rarely replicate everyday usage, as you know.

Last edited:
Associate
That's a very high idle. My 7900x 25-29 idle. And loads are lower than Yours @4.8 1.245. I have custom water. But the coolant stays at 29 degrees. So not sure it's doing that much. One thing these needed was soldering. Or deliding if you really want to push it. I can't increase voltage more without hitting limits. (Not in games etc they are fine at about 60 max)

One thing which makes a huge difference to temps is the cache voltage. I was able to turn mine down from the auto setting (at 33 I think it chose 1.2v) to 1.075. And down to 0.990 at 32x (stock 1.15 ish) Good 5-10 degree difference right there.

Associate
OP
Idle temps, as a rule, don't really matter - as long as they're not very high. But I do appreciate the comfort in having low idle temps.

For example one of my PC's has a 2500K @4.5GHz - and it idles at 40+ degrees with a gargantuan Silver Arrow strapped to the top and relatively low voltages. But although the idle seems high - the load temps are fine (in everyday usage) so the two don't always go hand-in-hand. Unfortunately yours do - or at least seem to under synthetic tests...

I would consider flipping the fans - but even if it proved beneficial the gains may be minimal. These changes usually prove marginal - but can sometimes yield larger results depending on the rest of your cooling setup.

I do agree that your temps seem about 5-10 degrees awry at 1.08V - but this could be down to a poorly TIM'ed IHS- INTEL really need to start soldering again. :/

Delid tool? (but warranty out the window and risk damaging your CPU)

*Additional: What are your gaming/everyday usage temps like? Ignoring Cinebench, if everyday temps are below the AIDA temps you're absolutely fine as synthetic tests rarely replicate everyday usage, as you know.

Yeah i was thinking the fan flipping might be marginal and im not sure if its worth the effort of pulling out the rad and all the screws. Thought about de-lidding but to be honest, i'm not an overclocking enthusiast, nor do i care too much about 5-10% performance gains at the cost of noise. Right now the loudest thing in my set up is the flipping EVGA 1080ti SC2 hybrid's pump noise and im not happy about that.

In gaming, i dont see higher than 60 unless running a CPU intensive game. AotS seems to get between 60 and 70 but thats it. Even then i dont hear the fans spinning up to max. I do a lot of photo editing (as i moonlight as a photographer) but even through 40mb+ RAW files at it don't stress the fans. I haven't checked CPU temps while editing so not sure.

the only reason im slightly concerned by the Cinebench temps is that i do plan on doing 3D rendering work (3ds max/vue etc) so its completely possible the pc will be rendering for hours on end depending on complexity of the scene. That said, im not sure 4.2Ghz to 4.5Ghz will be that noticeable.

That's a very high idle. My 7900x 25-29 idle. And loads are lower than Yours @4.8 1.245. I have custom water. But the coolant stays at 29 degrees. So not sure it's doing that much. One thing these needed was soldering. Or deliding if you really want to push it. I can't increase voltage more without hitting limits. (Not in games etc they are fine at about 60 max)

One thing which makes a huge difference to temps is the cache voltage. I was able to turn mine down from the auto setting (at 33 I think it chose 1.2v) to 1.075. And down to 0.990 at 32x (stock 1.15 ish) Good 5-10 degree difference right there.

This is the kind of thing which gives me concern. I understand the silicon lottery but is there really that much variation between CPUs? Understandably the custom loop probably provides a more effective cooling solution. I may have a go at undervolting the cache. I see you have the same mobo as I, would you mind sharing where i could find the cache multiplier? i can see the voltage setting but dont know where the cache multiplier is. IXTU reports my cache multiplier at 27x. Setting it to 32x in IXTU causes an immediate crash of the system. 30x is the highest stable cache multiplier i can set.

One of the biggest barriers facing your temps is the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv case. Thing has barely any airflow

After setting it up i did think that...but there is no other case that looks as nice in the segment so i'm just going to have to deal with that.

SO all of that said, i have an RMA authorised for the processor as it has been less than 14 days since i purchased it. I don't even think it's about the overclocking...i'm just not happy that i have a processor which looks like its a bit of a dud. Getting the RMA means no pc for a few days...weighing up whether its worth it? thoughts? Could be possible that i get even more of a dud :D

Associate
My voltage settings, min and max cache ratio are what you are looking for. remember to update to the latest bios too 0702.

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

Associate
OP
well, here an update. I bought another 7820x (not from OC) to have a look if it was any better.

this new one is much better.....reaches a stable [email protected] with max temps in cinebench at around 85 degrees. AIDA64 reaches 75ish.

Will return the original one back to OC. Seems to be a bad one!

Associate
OP
That is good, but 4.6ghz? get that sucker cranked!

Haha I want to but my over locking knowledge is fairly limited. I can mess about with multipliers and voltage and that's about it!

I haven't tried to adjust the cache voltage yet. I do have a question for you @james_2k however. Actually a couple:
1) I'm trying to use adaptive voltage so that when idling/low loads the CPU isn't always running at the voltage in the overclock. I can see from your screenshots that your also using adaptive voltage. The issue I'm facing is that I will set the boost target voltage to 1.15 for example and leave the offset to auto (as you have), but when in Windows hwmonitor reports the max voltage being used as 1.21v? I have to apply a manual offset to ensure the max voltage is 1.15v. Am I setting the adaptive voltage up wrong? I have the latest 0702 bios.

Secondly, with regards to cache overclocking. Do you know which value corresponds to the cache voltage in hwmonitor (or other monitoring tool). I can't seem to find it? Also, how did you manage to get to 33x cache multiplier? Mine won't even post if I set it to 30x (without any other tweaking ofc).

Generally would appreciate any direction/tips on overclocking

Associate
while testing its generally better to use manual voltage, once you have figured out the volts required you can swap to adaptive.

regarding your voltage, if you download hwinfo64. you will see the per core voltages. some will be higher than others. on mine, i think about 7 use 1.245v (what ive set in the bios) and 3 of them are slightly higher (the highest 1.287), no idea why though, only on adaptive, guessing because they all have varying voltages at stock, and they get the extra voltage added on. As long as the majority are at the 1.15 that you set then its fine. hw monitor says my core voltage is 1.287, but only one core is at that.

regarding cache, i used intel extreme tuning utility to see it, you can also use AI suite which shows what its set to. got 33x by changing the ratio, thats it really. ive since undervolted the cache which helped temps, but still stability testing it. Not sure if its comparable between our cpus, but you could try 30x and 1.1v, even 1.2v is fine (its what my board auto selects at 32x)

Good luck!

Soldato
pretty sure my Silent Loop ran at 2400 rpm or 2600. key again is to set to 100% all the time, no reason not to as its silent.

Silent also has very low Fins Per Inch even with change of fans, which is seems yours has greater Pressure then the airflow of the Pure Wings, and with the low FPI, air flow would be key over air pressure - nothing really resisting against it .
I replaced mine for Silent Wing 3s and set to 80-100%, was a lot more silent then stock a 100% by far and pushed out more air flow as well .
also topping up the unit helps, alphacool had issues in their factor of workers not topping up enough
3mm foam gasket might help as well :)

Soldato
Haha I want to but my over locking knowledge is fairly limited. I can mess about with multipliers and voltage and that's about it!

I haven't tried to adjust the cache voltage yet. I do have a question for you @james_2k however. Actually a couple:
1) I'm trying to use adaptive voltage so that when idling/low loads the CPU isn't always running at the voltage in the overclock. I can see from your screenshots that your also using adaptive voltage. The issue I'm facing is that I will set the boost target voltage to 1.15 for example and leave the offset to auto (as you have), but when in Windows hwmonitor reports the max voltage being used as 1.21v? I have to apply a manual offset to ensure the max voltage is 1.15v. Am I setting the adaptive voltage up wrong? I have the latest 0702 bios.

Secondly, with regards to cache overclocking. Do you know which value corresponds to the cache voltage in hwmonitor (or other monitoring tool). I can't seem to find it? Also, how did you manage to get to 33x cache multiplier? Mine won't even post if I set it to 30x (without any other tweaking ofc).

Generally would appreciate any direction/tips on overclocking

Have a wander over to the Overclocking section. There is also the 'ask 8pack' section as well.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/overclocking-cooling.7/

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/ask-8-pack.149/

Associate
OP
while testing its generally better to use manual voltage, once you have figured out the volts required you can swap to adaptive.

regarding your voltage, if you download hwinfo64. you will see the per core voltages. some will be higher than others. on mine, i think about 7 use 1.245v (what ive set in the bios) and 3 of them are slightly higher (the highest 1.287), no idea why though, only on adaptive, guessing because they all have varying voltages at stock, and they get the extra voltage added on. As long as the majority are at the 1.15 that you set then its fine. hw monitor says my core voltage is 1.287, but only one core is at that.

regarding cache, i used intel extreme tuning utility to see it, you can also use AI suite which shows what its set to. got 33x by changing the ratio, thats it really. ive since undervolted the cache which helped temps, but still stability testing it. Not sure if its comparable between our cpus, but you could try 30x and 1.1v, even 1.2v is fine (its what my board auto selects at 32x)

Good luck!

Thanks! Will have a go.

pretty sure my Silent Loop ran at 2400 rpm or 2600. key again is to set to 100% all the time, no reason not to as its silent.

Silent also has very low Fins Per Inch even with change of fans, which is seems yours has greater Pressure then the airflow of the Pure Wings, and with the low FPI, air flow would be key over air pressure - nothing really resisting against it .
I replaced mine for Silent Wing 3s and set to 80-100%, was a lot more silent then stock a 100% by far and pushed out more air flow as well .
also topping up the unit helps, alphacool had issues in their factor of workers not topping up enough
3mm foam gasket might help as well :)

Yeah the pump is running at 100% From the be quiet website the silent loop 360 pump is rated for 2200rpm so im sure mine is running at 100%:
y4molAMtehKTKJkGGk_qRQHceGpqep9Sg6dgde-hREunJEQZDD8LIMEFwLhdlFk6-SbLExG8p-r7dL89UT2OFeO9MYC8X0H1cK7Ntul1_Q0BobSjVYEafWDCVnb-ZWjIHr9FvYwtTpPtJwKnVRIi3qsGuiSE6VHhJ_4gWQ-GGj71ZzbvfmfdkN_dK6f5a7fUce01nQh9UCxlXXf5MqRSBxxRg

With the new CPU im not too concerned about heat now...the temperatures are more normal. idle at 32-34 and maximum load under cinebench is 90. But im sure i can go lower with the voltage for less heat.

Have a wander over to the Overclocking section. There is also the 'ask 8pack' section as well.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/overclocking-cooling.7/

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/ask-8-pack.149/

Thank you, i will have a look.

Back
Top Bottom