Associate
Good day all,

I've just invested in the i7-8086k processor after my 6800k failed and was causing freezing issues. I use my rig for gaming, and my main game is WoW (which I know is more CPU heavy than GPU).

Now, I'm a complete novice when it comes to overclocking, and reading output and such. I have CPU-Z, but because I'm not that au fait with all the different stats and terminology, I don't really know how efficient my new 8086k processor is. I read that an 8086k can hit 5GHz out of the box, but 1) I don't know how accurate that is, and 2) I don't know if mine is doing so.

Anyway, I was considering doing an ever so slight overclock on the CPU, to boost a few more frames out of it, but as I say, I'm a complete novice, so I'm not quite sure how to go about it. I have the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO motherboard, which I have read should make overclocking quite simple, but I'm just a bit reticent about tinkering about without knowledge - I really don't want to wreck my rig through ignorance. I only want to boost it by a little bit, to minimise any potential issues later on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

On a similar subject, I have a GeForce GTX 1080 that I am considering doing a little overclock on as well. I downloaded MSI Afterburner, but again, I'm a novice on this. I only want to do a small boost so that I can minimise any damage or issues with it. If you've got advice on this as well, that would be lovely.

Soldato
The 8086k turbos up to 5ghz stock. They are hand picked 8700k that overclock easily enough to get to 5ghz.

First and foremost, what are your temps at max load? (prime95 or another stress test)

Back
Top Bottom