• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 8700k won't overclock past 4.5GHz

Soldato
Something doesn't sound right they turbo up to 4.7 at stock.

I would update your bios.

Maybe it could be a ram issue try running that at stock.

4.7ghz single core, 4.3ghz all core turbo.

These are stock. They are not guaranteed by intel to do 4.7ghz on all 6 cores.

Soldato
4.7ghz single core, 4.3ghz all core turbo.

These are stock. They are not guaranteed by intel to do 4.7ghz on all 6 cores.

Yeah I know the speeds.

If it's turbo up to 4.7 then normally all the cores will be going up to 4.7 then dropping to 4.3 when fully loaded.

Think it must be a bios issue or ram if he pumping volts in and cant even get 4.6.

For example on my motherboard I couldn't overclock my memory anything other than stock xmp if not it would crash. I couldn't even downclock it or crash no matter what volts I used. I bios update and then it worked fine.

I know in the past with my 3570k it started getting unstable at 4.8 so I dropped it to 4.7 then few month later dropped it 4.6 then that got unstable so I had a good look at settings and it turned out it was actually my 2133 ram that had became unstable. I dropped my ram a touch then my processor once again ran fine at 4.8 and still does.

If the 8700k only clocked to 4.5 he may as well of got the non k.

Personally I would test the ram at stock 1 stick at time and bios update. If it still didn't go past 4.5 I would send processor back.

Soldato
Something doesn't sound right they turbo up to 4.7 at stock.

I would update your bios.

Maybe it could be a ram issue try running that at stock.

They don't, Intel massively moved the goal posts. All frequencies are "opportunistic" and depend on the quality of the chip/task in hand.

Soldato
They don't, Intel massively moved the goal posts. All frequencies are "opportunistic" and depend on the quality of the chip/task in hand.

Indeed they did.

Only thing Intel "guarantees" is the base clock (where the quoted TDP is calculated by Intel). They don't even officially specify the Turbo Behaviour, only the max boost for a single core (quote: Max turbo frequency is the maximum single core frequency at which the processor is capable of operating).

Interesting read:
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...quencies-making-motherboard-tuning-impossible

Associate
Have same board as you and had to tweak some voltages to get board stable. Sorry can't remember where I saw original thread to tweak but below worked for me.

First thing I would relax the CPU load line calibration I'm running level 5. For some reason when using higher LLC really bumps temps very high on this motherboard or did with my CPU.

For testing purposes also just set cpu\core voltage to auto. Then try manually adjusting it later for higher clocks or cooler temperatures. Personally would try get voltage as low as possible for all cores at 46x and then go from there based on CPU temp.

Here is the key part for this board. Make sure you change these values or you will get crashes/bluescreens at higher clocks.I have to manually change VCCIO voltage to 1.100 and VCCSA voltage to 1.150 leave all others on auto.

Hopefully should do the trick.

Running 4.6 GHz on all cores with fixed voltage of 1.28 (8700k)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom