1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

i7 920 - 12gb Ram, P6T SE 4.00ghz??

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by matthewprince, 18 Feb 2010.

1. matthewprince

PermaBanned

Hi,

Ive heard thie following is possible but also heard its not so ill let you lovely helpful chaps let me know the truth!!

Can i get the Core i7 920 paired with the Asus P6T SE board and Patriot Viper 12GB (2x6gb kits) working at 4ghz overclocked??

Ive heard with 6gb ram its definitely doable but 12gb might not work?

2. easyrider

Caporegime

Dunno

I have no use for 12GB ram :p

3. Tiamat21

Hitman

No one has any use for 12 gb atm.
    The procesor will just bottleneck it to hell and back, even an i7 at 4ghz....

4. VoG

Soldato

i think you'll struggle tbh, high clocks with 12gb are problematic on i7 920's. it's all down to the imc on the chip, & not all chips are created equal. add to that the fact your using a budget board as well. ide be a bit more realistic and aim for around the 3.6 ish mark.

5. matthewprince

PermaBanned

So i could either get 4ghz with 6gb ram or 3.6ish with 12gb ram ?

Which would give mde the best performance in Microsoft FSX?

6. littlescrimbler

Gangster

its already been said mate.. 12gb is redundant even with an i7 at 4ghz, definately go with 6gb ram and possibly a better mobo if you havent bought it already

7. Marine-RX179

Capodecina

Yea...if you got cash to blow on extra RAMs that ain't gonna help, you'd better off blow it on a better motherboard...

8. easyrider

Caporegime

The P6T SE is hardly a budget mobo.

Apart from lack of SLI and few bits an bobs its just the same as the P6T costing 20 quid more.

9. Simon42

Hitman

You do if you use VMware or certain graphics software ;)

I agree most people don't need 12GB+ though and when someone asks me if they should get 12GB I usually answer "If you don't know whether you need 12GB, then you definitely don't!"