i7 920 build,any thoughts?

Associate
Hi,just wanted to get peoples opinions on the setup i am planning on purchasing.

Cpu : i7 920
Mobo: Asus Rampage II Gene Intel X58
Ram : G.Skill 3x2gb 12800C9 Gbnq
Cpu cooler : Corsair h50
Case+PSU: Anted P183 +Corsair HX 750w (from my thread in case central)
HDDs : 2 Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB SATA-II 16MB Cache for RAID
Dvd-drive : LG GH22NP20 22x DVD±RW IDE Dual Layer ReWriter
UPS: Still undecided,any thoughts on this?

Gonna use my current 24" samsung monitor and keyboard/mouse with a KMV switch to access my current rig which is gonna be just for downloading when this one arrives.

Graphics card is gonna have to wait since i wanted to buy a 4890 but i just saw the bencies for the 5870 so i am definately getting that even if it means i am gonna stick with my aging x1950xt for a little while longer.

I will try definately overclock the i7 920,i am hoping for 3.6gz with only 3 silent fans in the case and reasonable temps.

Bear in mind that my current rig is 5-6 years old with a dual core 3800+ and plain DDR and i am gonna be blown away with this one (fingers crossed).

Associate
Just seeing your HDD's. If your going to be spending this much money on a rig its probs worth looking into an SSD for OS and Apps and a reasonable size drive for Data.

I would suggest this its quicker than any standard HDD and this

You could put that in a RAID setup and it would be miles faster than any standard two HDD's

Associate
OP
I've already got 2x1tb hdds on my current rig to use as storage plus 1tb external and i am not sold on the ssds atm.
Ignore the 16 mb cache,copy-pasted the wrong drive.

So,apart from the hard drive option any other thoughts comments?

Soldato
All looks good to me. Can't comment on mobo/RAM or cooler, as I don't own them, but all sound good. And heard good things about most.

As for hard drives, if you want a normal HD, and not an SSD, consider the Caviar Blacks. Been told they are very good and pretty fast.

Associate
OP
All looks good to me. Can't comment on mobo/RAM or cooler, as I don't own them, but all sound good. And heard good things about most.

As for hard drives, if you want a normal HD, and not an SSD, consider the Caviar Blacks. Been told they are very good and pretty fast.

Good idead,thanks for the heads up gonna go for 2 caviar blacks then :)

Back
Top Bottom