• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I7 9700k or I9 9900k

Associate
Morning all,

The unfortunate time has finally come to update my computer internals, it's fought one hell of a battle for the last 4 years, overcoming the demands of modern games, but finally, my processor loads seem to be so high I'm loosing the will to live with it, RIP i5 4690k!

So anyway I'm mainly running servers for myself and friends (small scale, no more then 5 people connected at a time) some video and photo editing, and of course some the latest games as well as of course all the classics!

I'm going to be changing motorboard, upping to DDR4 ram, and getting a 1070ti all at the same time, just after some opinions on which processor you thinks going to be best bang for buck?

Ideally MB+CPU+RAM budget around £1100

Soldato
I'm in pretty much the same boat as you albeit with an older CPU. (2700K)

But personally I am waiting until Ryzen 3xxx series chips are released as they are looking like a VERY promising prospect if the rumors are true.
Certainly have no intention of spanking anywhere near £1100 on a mobo/cpu/ram upgrade. Oh and I intend to switch to NVME at the same time.

Permabanned
Associate
I'm in pretty much the same boat as you albeit with an older CPU. (2700K)

But personally I am waiting until Ryzen 3xxx series chips are released as they are looking like a VERY promising prospect if the rumors are true.
Certainly have no intention of spanking anywhere near £1100 on a mobo/cpu/ram upgrade. Oh and I intend to switch to NVME at the same time.

I just upgraded my 2700k to 9900k, got it as part of a bundle so price was bearable, the difference is night and day.

Associate
If you're purely gaming I'd say the 9700K is the way to go. My 8700K was a huge leap from the 4690K (I had 100% CPU utilisation in games like BF1) and the 9700K offers just a little more again. A shame the current pricing is so high, by comparison my 8700K for £280 was a bargain.

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom