• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 retail warranty?

Associate
if your in the uk you do not have to prove when you bought it if its faulty as the retailer should keep some kind of record or be able to find out. your contract is always with the retailer not manufacturer

if you bought it within 6 months regardless of warrenty they (the retailer) have to prove there wasnt an inherrent fault (you didnt break it yourself) then offer you a repair or replacement, the retailer can choose whatever suits them as long as its sorted within "reasonable time" sale of goods actually state you can choose but the retailer can reject your choice so thats what it boils down to.

after 6 months but within a number of years i forget how many i think its 6 ish you have to prove you didnt break it which could mean paying yourself for a 3rd party engineer to examine it and sign that you have not broken it yourself.

these are your rights regardless of any warrentys on the cpu if your in the uk

this is the law as i understand it after working in retail for years.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

As what people said it be difficult to get an RMA

Nope.

I bought a known dead Q6600 off ebay for £10 - guy was selling them as spares for keyrings - RMA'd it to Intel, got a replacement within two weeks. In fact, the chip is still running perfectly in the machine I'm psting from now.

Associate
Nope.

I bought a known dead Q6600 off ebay for £10 - guy was selling them as spares for keyrings - RMA'd it to Intel, got a replacement within two weeks. In fact, the chip is still running perfectly in the machine I'm psting from now.

Great success! My brother used to do this with laptops, buy known faulty laptops resell them for treble what he bought them for sometimes.

Caporegime
I always keep receipts and boxes nowadays, i wasnt always so careful though, very handy to have if something does go wrong, also when it comes to selling stuff on it gives the purchaser more peace of mind. Though i did sell a lapped q6600 on mm a while back, it was a retail chip but had no warranty due to the lapping, i made this obvious in the for sale thread but it didnt put the buyer off.

Caporegime
Its the retail version but does not have reciept, box or heatsink.

It should be treated as an OEM CPU then, OEM's have 1yr warranty with Intel IIRC so don't pay retail prices for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom