1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i78 8700 dropping speed and voltage during benchmarks and gaming :(

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Fubsy08, 24 Apr 2018.

1. Fubsy08

Associate

Hi all,

I have a problem and its probably something simple but as this is my first pc upgrade in a while the BIOS/UEFI has waaay to many options lol, Could someone tell me is this problem caused by a setting issue or a problem with the CPU itself as its driving me up the wall, I wanted the non K model because at the time I thought well i've always brought the K models but never actually overclocked them, not knowing at the time that the non k model is actually clocked lower, but its still pretty decent when it doesnt start throttling itself anyway.

I have recorded a video of the issue and put it on youtube if anyone could help It would be greatly
    appreciated.

2. Hagar

Sgarrista

Do you have MCE enabled. all core turbo?

You are hitting the Max TDP limit on the i7-8700 (65W). It is going to 92W+ then resetting to 65W on the package.

This is just my 2c worth as I do not have that CPU. What motherboard?

EDIT If the voltage settings are on auto, you may try reducing voltages, undervolting. Some motherboards provide higher voltage.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2018
  3. MrRobot

Associate

Last edited: 29 Apr 2018
  4. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

Its probably hitting the TDP wall - so you need to up the TDP,but make sure the motherboard has good enough VRMs and that you have good enough cooling.