• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Soldato
Yes you are right. It was a few months back. Intel pulling a Nvidia here

Not at all, there is just very little free stock in the channel at the moment, and Intel are in serious trouble supplying OEM's for the coming two quarters so prices have risen, even disti prices have gone up considerably. Don't expect to see price back to normal until March, maybe later depending on the demand shift with OEM's pushing AMD alternatives over the Christmas period.

Soldato
Not at all, there is just very little free stock in the channel at the moment, and Intel are in serious trouble supplying OEM's for the coming two quarters so prices have risen, even disti prices have gone up considerably. Don't expect to see price back to normal until March, maybe later depending on the demand shift with OEM's pushing AMD alternatives over the Christmas period.

If I was building today I would get AMD.

Soldato
Is there normally a price discount on OEM chips?
Yeah you normally save like £10-20 in exchange for no cooler (assuming the retail part comes with a cooler to begin with) and usually a shorter warranty.

everyone has a preference. if it was on a budget then yes i would say you could consider AMD. if you want the best experience in gaming then you buy intel. pure and simple.
99+% of buyers are "on a budget".

Associate
Yeah you normally save like £10-20 in exchange for no cooler (assuming the retail part comes with a cooler to begin with) and usually a shorter warranty.

99+% of buyers are "on a budget".

Given the very high prices of the chip I think those numbers may be a touch light.

So we would expect something along the lines of a 15% discount broadly speaking?

Soldato
everyone has a preference. if it was on a budget then yes i would say you could consider AMD. if you want the best experience in gaming then you buy intel. pure and simple.
It's just not that digital. Not that simple. I'm tossing up 9900k 9700k and 2700x. I don't have a "budget" per say. need to balance performance and value and a multitude of things. Even simple things like feel good factor.

Soldato
It's just not that digital. Not that simple. I'm tossing up 9900k 9700k and 2700x. I don't have a "budget" per say. need to balance performance and value and a multitude of things. Even simple things like feel good factor.

Simple, which will allow you to drop in a simple 7nm upgrade later?

Caporegime

few factors to consider. what monitor do you have is it a high hz ? 144+
do you play racing games / fps / mainly mp games ?

if you game a bit and then do other things then the amds on offer at the moment offer good value. if you want the best top end gaming experience you choose intel. price isnt the factor for top performance.thats why you pay extra because the experience is better faster. i have numerous rigs . amd rigs intel rigs with various cpus. i can tell instantly what im playing on. im sensitive though to the performance and play on high hz screens.

amd cpus are fine for gaming just newer monitors you need the high fps always being there .where amd chips in certain games just cant keep the same as intel in certain games. pubg for eg. racing games. battlefield.

really does depend what you play how much you play and budget. if its mainly gaming i would go the intel route if you can afford it but dont feel different if you do go AMD the 2700x for eg is a monster of a cpu for the price. id buy one for multitasking and gaming no problem. especially with the great pricing at the moment. the only thing is i just know it wouldnt be a as good experience as being on a modern intel chip. regardless of what people say on a modern monitor.

Soldato
few factors to consider. what monitor do you have is it a high hz ? 144+

144Hz 1440p - Gsync.
GTX1080 (for now)

do you play racing games / fps / mainly mp games ?

Racing, FPS and other equally. (Plus Oculus)

if you game a bit and then do other things then the amds on offer at the moment offer good value. if you want the best top end gaming experience you choose intel. price isnt the factor for top performance.thats why you pay extra because the experience is better faster. i have numerous rigs . amd rigs intel rigs with various cpus. i can tell instantly what im playing on. im sensitive though to the performance and play on high hz screens.

Price is always a factor. But I can afford Intel. But Still doesn't mean I'm happy to throw away money. I pretty much only game at home at this point.

amd cpus are fine for gaming just newer monitors you need the high fps always being there .where amd chips in certain games just cant keep the same as intel in certain games. pubg for eg. racing games. battlefield.

really does depend what you play how much you play and budget. if its mainly gaming i would go the intel route if you can afford it but dont feel different if you do go AMD the 2700x for eg is a monster of a cpu for the price. id buy one for multitasking and gaming no problem. especially with the great pricing at the moment. the only thing is i just know it wouldnt be a as good experience as being on a modern intel chip. regardless of what people say on a modern monitor.

Soldato
Ignore DG as everything he says is irrelevant if you a) Game at 1440p or higher or b) have an adaptive sync screen and GPU to drive it... Right now i wouldnt buy an OEM 9900k, i feel a 3 year Warranty is worth more than a 1 year one, especially for resale value, should you decide to ditch the CPU before the warranty runs out etc. Ontop of that i personally feel the 9900k is massively overpriced, and offers only marginal gains over the 8700k, so in essence entirely not worth it.

And we are so close to 7nm Ryzen its kinda pointless buying into the current Ryzen stuff *IF* you have a rig that is currently not struggling with the games you play.

In short, wait for either Intel prices to reduce or AMD to bring Ryzen next gen to market, then make a decision :)

Associate
Ignore DG as everything he says is irrelevant if you a) Game at 1440p or higher or b) have an adaptive sync screen and GPU to drive it... Right now i wouldnt buy an OEM 9900k, i feel a 3 year Warranty is worth more than a 1 year one, especially for resale value, should you decide to ditch the CPU before the warranty runs out etc. Ontop of that i personally feel the 9900k is massively overpriced, and offers only marginal gains over the 8700k, so in essence entirely not worth it.

And we are so close to 7nm Ryzen its kinda pointless buying into the current Ryzen stuff *IF* you have a rig that is currently not struggling with the games you play.

In short, wait for either Intel prices to reduce or AMD to bring Ryzen next gen to market, then make a decision :)

Must admit now I can get a i7 8700k for 341 (still high) I've cancelled my I9 order I just can't justify it being 150 more when I can use that for some nice team Vulcan 3600 hz memory from here as well.

Caporegime

just cause you dont agree you dont need to say ignore my opinion. i have amd rigs i have intel ones. i offered my opinion to which is the better experience in gaming. which is intel. hows it irrelevant when i game all day play the games he plays at the same monitor hz at the same res ? hardly irrelevant is it ?

why would you buy a 8700k now ? when a new faster plaform is literally here ? makes no sense. by the newer product especially if you want it to last longer have a better experience.

Soldato
But, After 5+ years of being on this 4690K I would hate to "upgrade" to a 2700x and in games actually find it performs worse! which, with the 2700x vs my OC 4690K is a distinct possibility.
Unless you need the extra cores I wouldn't upgrade from any Haswell or newer 4c/8t chip. A 4c/4t chip would see a benefit if you play newer games. Remember, the main benefit of Ryzen for gaming isn't that it performs better than Intel, it's that it's cheaper and has brought competition back to the market.

Soldato
hows it irrelevant when i game all day

If you game all day there is your issue, most people don't game all day, they do this for fun or leisure and as such have a limited amount of time. £450 for an Intel CPU vs. £150 for an AMD one, or £600 vs. £290, it makes no odds, that kind of extra outlay is simply not worth it for 'THE MAJORITY' of causal game players. Unless it was a 25%+ better experience in every single title that person happens to play, then it *might* be worth considering, but unless you are a hardcore hobbyist or a no-lifer who lives for games, well then you are in the minority and that is how it will remain.

Caporegime
so by knowing games possibly better that doesnt help ? doesnt matter if its for fun or leisure would you rather have experience from someone who games less than someone who games more ? you comment makes no sense.your on a enthusiast forum for pcs. what do you expect ? :p

Soldato
so by knowing games possibly better that doesnt help ? doesnt matter if its for fun or leisure would you rather have experience from someone who games less than someone who games more ? you comment makes no sense.your on a enthusiast forum for pcs. what do you expect ? :p

It makes perfect sense, as there is no value in spending twice as much money on something you do for a lot less time than another person. If you went camping twice a year, and someone told you to spend £500 on a tent, since that is what they use, but they pretty much live it it all year round, is that sensible if you can buy one that will do the job for you for £175? No it's not it's just dumb, unless you like to throw money down the toilet.

Soldato

Just because you game more does not make you a better gamer lol... i know plenty of people who only play a few hours in the evening who are better gamers than many people who play many more hours..

Your argument makes zero sense.

Back
Top Bottom