• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Soldato
This is always the case when buying electronics. You can't be chasing them all the time. In 1 year time minimum you are already outdated. At any given moment you can only make a decision based on what's in front of you. Eh other wise you will never buy anything and just wait forever :D Right now, the 9900k is the most future proof piece of hardware (I'm not debating performance per value, etc. I know it's overpriced).

What makes it more futureproof than the 2700x? is it just the single threaded advantage it has?

Associate
Well you can still do your build, get a Z390 board, and something like an i5 8500 or whatever until the stock becomes more normalised by which point it might have actually dropped down in price too, so much so it would have paid for the interim processor. Drop in the 9900K and jobs done, it's not going to make that much difference for a few months. :)

This could be one solution yes :) I wish we can at least get a more proper ETA to see if it's worth going through that loop. Ughh everything was aligning so perfectly! :p

Soldato
If they were both at the same price, which one would you get?

AMD to reward them for pushing Intel to lower their prices and also because AMD produce unlocked chips, not artificially locking performance behind paywalls, plus AMD have support for sockets longer than Intel, i could simply replace the AMD chip the next gen without having to swap the motherboard etc, something thats normally not true for Intel.

Plus i game at 1440p so the difference in performance is negligable at best.

Associate
AMD to reward them for pushing Intel to lower their prices and also because AMD produce unlocked chips, not artificially locking performance behind paywalls, plus AMD have support for sockets longer than Intel, i could simply replace the AMD chip the next gen without having to swap the motherboard etc, something thats normally not true for Intel.

Haha, ok, you do have some valid point with the socket thing in term of "future proofing". But otherwise, thinking without company preferences / bad practices, monetary value etc, etc. Just strictly thinking about current hardware choices :)

Soldato

Athlon 200GE? A320 boards? There are walls, they're just lower.

Amd didn't support AM1 and FM1 for more than one gen lets not forget either.

Soldato
Haha, ok, you do have some valid point with the socket thing in term of "future proofing". But otherwise, thinking without company preferences / bad practices, monetary value etc, etc. Just strictly thinking about current hardware choices :)

They are not at same price though. You can compare the 9900K with something at its price range... The 2920X for example......

However if both were of same perf and price, AMD for me.

Soldato

Well obviously if the chips were identical in price and the companies were both tree hugging hippy love machines who only done good, then the choice has to be Intel for the single threaded advantage.

Unfortunately we do not live in that world, in the real world, AMD everyday, because at 1440p and above its just the better option, the saving on the chip £300 can go towards a GPU or better ram or towards an adaptive sync screen.

You have to look at the overall bigger picture, if your budget is unlimited then sure go down the Intel 9900k route, infact go buy a pre-binned one, and a 2080ti and a 4k 120hz screen etc, however if your budget constrained and want to game at 1440p or above then the smart move is to go AMD and bung the extra cash at your GPU or screen or whatever.

Soldato
Unfortunately we do not live in that world, in the real world, AMD everyday, because at 1440p and above its just the better option, the saving on the chip £300 can go towards a GPU or better ram or towards an adaptive sync screen.

Genuine question... Would you still be so convinced of going the AMD route (for a gamer) if that £300 was only £100? Because that is what it costs buying in the states and that is my Dilemma.

Soldato
Genuine question... Would you still be so convinced of going the AMD route (for a gamer) if that £300 was only £100? Because that is what it costs buying in the states and that is my Dilemma.

If the difference is only £100, ie the 9900k is £400 delivered to the UK then yeah why not, thats a small price to pay if your coming from an i5, however it looks like its actually £500 delivered from the Rainforest, so no, those extra £200 in my opinion are better spent elsewhere if your gaming at 1440p. If you can get it for £400 delivered to the UK then that is a bargain price and i would jump on it myself if i wanted an 8c/16t chip.

Soldato
If the difference is only £100, ie the 9900k is £400 delivered to the UK then yeah why not, thats a small price to pay if your coming from an i5, however it looks like its actually £500 delivered from the Rainforest, so no, those extra £200 in my opinion are better spent elsewhere if your gaming at 1440p. If you can get it for £400 delivered to the UK then that is a bargain price and i would jump on it myself if i wanted an 8c/16t chip.
Im going to the USA. Will ship to a pals house over there. So it's £100.

Soldato
Im going to the USA. Will ship to a pals house over there. So it's £100.

In your scenario then yes its a good deal as you can pick it up much cheaper than here and negate the shipping / import tax etc as well. If you had already planned and paid for a trip to the US its a bit of a no brainer.

A friend of mine done similar to buy his wife some jewelry, was going to NY and used that as an excuse to pickup a ring and necklace his wife wanted that was almost twice the price here. Infact i think the savings was so good, it was still cheaper to fly and buy than pay for it in the UK lol.

Soldato
Well worth buying abroad with minimal risk and especially if the warranty is international. I've saved hundreds buying cameras in Asia over the years when the exchange rate wasn't so bad.

Caporegime
people saying 100 difference . imagine you have your system like most for 3 years plus.thats 30 per year. why would you have a slower system for such a small extra outlay ? dont look at the innitial cost look at the overall value. the intel will be faster for longer and not much more per year of use.

Soldato
people saying 100 difference . imagine you have your system like most for 3 years plus.thats 30 per year. why would you have a slower system for such a small extra outlay ? dont look at the innitial cost look at the overall value. the intel will be faster for longer and not much more per year of use.
Yeah and an RTX 2080 Ti only costs £1 per day if you keep it for 4 years. Just buy it™!

Soldato

It's $646 from rainforest

$529+117 shipping and import fees

$646=£492 You're saving just over £100.

Just wait a few weeks and they'll be down to that price if not lower.

Back
Top Bottom