• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
wouldn't say better, just my preference for non mATX boards. The Apex will probably be slightly more expensive, but not 100% sure.

Right I get you now , To be honest , I have only had this Asus XI Xtreme before this I always had MSI or Gigabyte boards , so I am not that clued up with them , I do love there bios however they do seem very buggy and the AI software reads CPU load temps about 10 - 15c out compared to HW or Coretemp.

Associate
Right I get you now , To be honest , I have only had this Asus XI Xtreme before this I always had MSI or Gigabyte boards , so I am not that clued up with them , I do love there bios however they do seem very buggy and the AI software reads CPU load temps about 10 - 15c out compared to HW or Coretemp.

I have used boards from them all to be honest, but I have always come back to Asus, there bios is the best in my opinion. Can you remember the old DFI Lanparty boards, they were great back In the day.

Associate
I have used boards from them all to be honest, but I have always come back to Asus, there bios is the best in my opinion. Can you remember the old DFI Lanparty boards, they were great back In the day.

I agree there Bios is the best and I think I will stick with ASUS from now on , was tempted with the gigabyte Master but I am glad I went with Asus

Now I just need to find a golden I9-9900k like was sold on the recent marketplace on here ,

sadly I had a good one which just died all of a sudden one day , and the replacement runs so hot and doesn't under volt no where near as good :(

Associate
I agree there Bios is the best and I think I will stick with ASUS from now on , was tempted with the gigabyte Master but I am glad I went with Asus

Now I just need to find a golden I9-9900k like was sold on the recent marketplace on here ,

sadly I had a good one which just died all of a sudden one day , and the replacement runs so hot and doesn't under volt no where near as good :(
My 9900K is a beast, as you know. 5.2ghz at 1.288v full load. Non AVX/FPU that is.

Associate
My 9900k is naked right now.
I took the pc apart thinking that the jetplate in my waterblock was clogged up, but that wasn't the case and it surprisingly turned out to be the oc frame.
I've had to return the oc frame due to a slight warping/bulge near the die that was preventing the waterblock from making proper contact.
Once I've got the replacement I should see much better temps.

Associate
My 9900k is naked right now.
I took the pc apart thinking that the jetplate in my waterblock was clogged up, but that wasn't the case and it surprisingly turned out to be the oc frame.
I've had to return the oc frame due to a slight warping/bulge near the die that was preventing the waterblock from making proper contact.
Once I've got the replacement I should see much better temps.

direct die cooling , worth the hassle ?

Associate
Did you warp the OC frame when tightening it or the block by any chance. ?
I see no way I could have. It isn't a warping or twisting issue, there is a section of the frame that is bulging with nothing on the cpu that could have pressed on it to create the bulge. Add to that there is no damage to the anodising and I'm thinking it arrived that way but I didn't notice it because why would I? I've flipped the thing and pressed on it to see if it will push back flat but no dice, it just rocks on the bump.

It's just one of those things, nothing is perfect. I've sent this one back and hopefully I'll get a better replacement. With the tight tolerances on the die frame and die height it only takes a small defect or imperfection to cause mounting issues. I'm not fazed, ocuk have been good about it.

Associate
I see no way I could have. It isn't a warping or twisting issue, there is a section of the frame that is bulging with nothing on the cpu that could have pressed on it to create the bulge. Add to that there is no damage to the anodising and I'm thinking it arrived that way but I didn't notice it because why would I? I've flipped the thing and pressed on it to see if it will push back flat but no dice, it just rocks on the bump.

It's just one of those things, nothing is perfect. I've sent this one back and hopefully I'll get a better replacement. With the tight tolerances on the die frame and die height it only takes a small defect or imperfection to cause mounting issues. I'm not fazed, ocuk have been good about it.
That's the problem, you don't have much clearance to play with do you, like you say it must be a manufacturing fault, hope you get a better replacement one.;)

Associate
I know it's silicon lotto but what's chance of getting a good 5ghz+ chip? Thinking of moving back to Intel from a 1700 rather then waiting on ryzen 3000

It depends on how you test for stability and what cooling you are using. Silicon lottery have tested hundreds of 9900ks and their stats for a 5GHz all core overclock with a minimum of 240AIO cooling are 39%.
If you have better cooling and/or aren't as concerned with stability as they are then that percentage will rise.

Like you say, it really is the luck of the draw. Although it is unlikely, someone who buys 10 9900k might not see 5GHz on any of them, while someone else who buys just one could get a 5.2GHz+ capable chip.

Soldato
It depends on how you test for stability and what cooling you are using. Silicon lottery have tested hundreds of 9900ks and their stats for a 5GHz all core overclock with a minimum of 240AIO cooling are 39%.
If you have better cooling and/or aren't as concerned with stability as they are then that percentage will rise.

Like you say, it really is the luck of the draw. Although it is unlikely, someone who buys 10 9900k might not see 5GHz on any of them, while someone else who buys just one could get a 5.2GHz+ capable chip.

Thanks mate, I'd be pretty much locked to a 240 rad either way cause of my Meshify C, but maybe could get a better one over my cheap ID Cooling one lol

Associate
Testing 5.2GHz for 1 hour of AIDA64 (CPU, Cache) at 1.258v under load. Using MSI Meg ACE Z390 motherboard with LLC4 mode, 1.28 Vcore in Bios. 1.277v idle and 1.258v under load.

jHbDNuj.jpg

Associate
Just run Aida64 stress test 30 mins. Reset HWinfo a minute or two in to see averages. 5.2ghz uncore 47x 1.275v load. LLC high, 1.32 in bios.

I haven't tried lower. Was running more v because I was having idle shutdowns. Lowered llc from turbo to high thinking I wasn't having enough v at idle (using adaptive) and upped the v a couple of notches. 1 week later, phantom shutdown at idle. They were rare, so it's been a long time troubleshooting. Anyways, long story short... It seems there is a setting in the bios under "power" :power loading = enabled, now touch wood I haven't had an idle shutdown for 2 weeks. So next i'll go back to turbo llc settings, but that can wait until the weekend :)

a>

Back
Top Bottom