• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Soldato
If I had believed the reviews, then anything over 5 on ambient was the stuff of fairytales, not to mention the various forums where one often hears that 5.1/5.2/5.3 at x.xxx vcore isn't possible. I wouldn't run it as a daily anyway if it is using 1.35v+ underload given what I've learnt about spikes, but I feel sure I should be able to get it stable with this CPU even if it is at the very edge of the thermal limits in extended stress testing.
Maybe it is the board, maybe it is something I'm doing or not doing, but I'm not giving up on it just yet. Somewhere there is a guide to all the various UEFI settings and what they do and when to use them, I just need to find it :D
Hell, if I ignore the WHEAs then it is stable :p
I'll keep at it when I have the time to fiddle with settings. For now I'm dialing it back and enjoying some games ;)

It's not the board, 5.4 unconditionally stable just isn't something one should aspire to without chiller. Reserved for maybe a small fraction of samples, and even then stability will be conditional. I'd also be wary of reading forum users posts regarding "spikes" at those voltages. Majority of users don't have the necessary understanding or equipment to see the transients. 1.35v is no issue with these CPU, they simply don't pull enough current.

Well I am quite happy at 5ghz all core at 1.147v under load, RealBench stable, which is nothing to be sneezed at for an eight core sixteen thread cpu, which was a fairy tail not so long ago. ;)

I'd be happy, too. That's a great CPU

Associate
Rockitcool quicksilver.

It is a very soft solder so you can scrape it off with a plastic card if you want to without damaging the silicon. After that i used flitz to polish the top of the die to a mirror finish. No gouges or scrapes or sanding required.

Associate
Have been tweaking a few things and now have my 9900K running at 5.1ghz with a slightly lower vcore, AI was setting 1.276v vcore for its 51/51 overclock, this equated to 1.243v under full load, I have got this down to 1.250v and 1.217v under full stress load, and dropped 3c of my max temp.

Tomorrow I have the Der8auer OC Frame coming, along with an EK-Velocity water block, EK-DBAY D5 PWM pump/res, EK hosing and EK compression fittings, I think my current water cooling kit has had a good innings, but time to retire it I think. I think it is the temps that are holding my chip back slightly, so with direct die cooling I should be able to use slightly higher voltages, and get slightly lower temps, in theory that is, we will see. Nothing is guaranteed. I know deliding my 7700K gave much better temps, and runs at 5.3 without breaking sweat.

RealBench.

7bdf76c3-bb87-4034-8c26-c334922c0cf6-original.jpg

Finished 30 Minute run.

ce3f02c1-008c-4bf8-a1d2-821e68418ae4-original.jpg

Associate
Tomorrow I have the Der8auer OC Frame coming, along with an EK-Velocity water block, EK-DBAY D5 PWM pump/res, EK hosing and EK compression fittings, I think my current water cooling kit has had a good innings, but time to retire it I think.
I envy you, have fun!

The ek velocity block has very narrow fins on the heatplate and they clog easily if there is anything at all in your loop. I am using pre mix (presumably no contaminants) and rinsed all my tubes before use with distilled water after washing but I've had to clean the block twice already. Keep an eye on the flow rate and or temps under load in case you experience the same.

With the oc frame you may need to not use the plastic washers/spacers that come with the ek velocity mounting kit. It says in the instructions that using them is mandatory but the height they add makes the block not make contact with the cpu. In Der8auer's video his are removed but he doesn't mention it and I had to replace mine for much thinner ones.

Enjoy the rebuild! :)

Associate
I envy you, have fun!

The ek velocity block has very narrow fins on the heatplate and they clog easily if there is anything at all in your loop. I am using pre mix (presumably no contaminants) and rinsed all my tubes before use with distilled water after washing but I've had to clean the block twice already. Keep an eye on the flow rate and or temps under load in case you experience the same.

With the oc frame you may need to not use the plastic washers/spacers that come with the ek velocity mounting kit. It says in the instructions that using them is mandatory but the height they add makes the block not make contact with the cpu. In Der8auer's video his are removed but he doesn't mention it and I had to replace mine for much thinner ones.

Enjoy the rebuild! :)
Thanks for the tip. I use Distilled water for my loop, always have done, so zero contaminants, about to start using RO water that I use in my Aquarium, which is pure water. The last time I drained my loop down, which was when I changed to my 9900k, the water that was drained was crystal clear. I don't see the point of all these fandangled coolants you can buy. ;)

Associate
Thanks for the tip. I use Distilled water for my loop, always have done, so zero contaminants, about to start using RO water that I use in my Aquarium, which is pure water. The last time I drained my loop down, which was when I changed to my 9900k, the water that was drained was crystal clear. I don't see the point of all these fandangled coolants you can buy. ;)
Prior to the ice dragon i also used distilled but i added biocide and inhibitor to prevent corrosion and growth of stuff. I still found fibres stuck in the cpu waterblock. I have no idea what they are, perhaps tiny fabric hairs or something that somehow got on the plastic or dust from the air (it's a clean room but who knows) but in any case the performance improved a lot once it was cleaned. Oh and i tried using a filter before the cpu block but it didn't prevent the build up. My guess is that the fibres or dust or w/e is too fine to be caught by the filter but large enough to clog the fins of the block.

The water of the loop when i was using distilled looked crystal clear before and after cleaning the block. Maybe i have lint fairies living in my pc filling the loop every now and then.

Soldato
I've got a custom-built PC coming soon with a 9900k CPU and I've specified a Corsair 115i cooler to go with it. I am able to specify an overclock on the CPU when it's in the 'workshop' but decided against it, since I value longevity, silence and lower temps - basically I just want the certainty that comes from running at stock. Now I'm not sure if I should request them to overclock the PC before sending it to me (I would prefer not to fiddle about with it myself). I've checked out some benchmarks and the differences between overclocked and non-overclocked don't appear enormous. Am I going to miss out if I just run it at stock?

Associate
Well what a day, all items arrived this morning as planned. Delided my 9900k, cleaned the solder off and the gasket gunk. Removed the retention bracket from the mobo, fitted the OC frame, applied the liquid metal, then put the new Velocity block on, but low and behold a slight rock, tightened the block down and no sign of rocking.

Was it worth it, well I have dropped 7c off of my 5.1ghz overclock when running RealBench for 30 minutes. So the jury is out for now. I might even dispense with the OC frame and just mount the block directly to the cpu, see what happens.

Associate
Where did you get the thinner washers from may I ask ?, mind you I might just do it the Der8auer way and not bother with them at all, might just use some masking tape to protect the board.
I 'borrowed' mine off the noctua mount that I was initially using with the EK Velocity block to try and get a decent mount on the cpu. I imagine some electrical tape would be just as good.

Associate
Well I am quite pleased with the results of my delid and direct die cooling now I must say, with the 5.1 overclock at 1.250v in bios i'm idling at 20c now, and full load max temp of 76c on one core, so a drop of 7c cant be bad. So all n all very pleased, and so far well worth the effort. ;)

Associate
Well I have been tinkering again with my system, I had my doubts about the EK-Velocity block not being as good as my XSPC Raystorm Pro block, so I swapped the brand new Velocity for my trusty Raystorm Pro, and what a difference, using the same direct die cooling with Der8auer OC Frame as with the EK, and running the same stress tests, I had even better temps, better by at least 8c believe it or not, so I am even more impressed having decided to delid and go the direct die OC frame route for cooling this cpu. Am I happy, yes very, even if it did cost me £90 for the EK block.

With the EK temp on core 2 was already up to 76c at the same point as the run below.

This is what I have at the moment. 1.250V in bios.
244943d6-fab8-4d2a-969f-25f83d452a48-original.jpg

Without FPU/AVX
91bc7ee9-29cc-473a-ac69-e477860be2e3-original.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
94299934-cb3e-485d-8620-cbf13f86338f-original.jpg
More testing today and I am very impressed with the temp drops gained, max core temps of 71c, and an average of 63c across all cores, not too sure what Realbench is reading, I think its the cpu package temp. Next up is the 52 multi, but all in all I am happy with things since going direct die cooling, oh and going back to my Raystorm Pro block. ;)

Soldato
AIDA's FPU routines have changed in the last year. They're pretty brutal on AVX 2.0, now. Sorry if you've already said somewhere, but is that just a retail/tray CPU or is it binned? It's golden for sure.

Associate
Really nice. I'm also looking at changing the velocity block or at least the mounting mechanism for it.

How close in temps are your cores with the raystorm vs the ek block?

Back
Top Bottom