• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Really nice. I'm also looking at changing the velocity block or at least the mounting mechanism for it.

How close in temps are your cores with the raystorm vs the ek block?
I must admit to being very disappointed with the Velocity block to be honest, with the Raystorm Pro in the above Realbench run,there was about an 8c difference between the hottest core and the coolest one, the Velocity was much worse, hence changing back to my Raystorm Pro.

Last edited:
Associate
I must admit to being very disappointed with the Velocity block to be honest, with the Raystorm Pro in the above Realbench run,there was about an 8c difference between the hottest core and the coolest one, the Velocity was much worse, hence changing back to my Raystorm Pro.

Could it be possible that your velocity has a fault or wasn't mounted correctly? I use the velocity and without delid, using your bench settings, I get the same max temp as yourself and my average is within 1 degree. I feel another block wouldn't knock me down to even 5 degrees lower than yourself, hence why I think there could be something wrong with the velocity or the mount :)

Edit* Or thinking about it, maybe with direct die contact the difference between blocks increases? I only have experience with IHS mounts.

Associate
Could it be possible that your velocity has a fault or wasn't mounted correctly? I use the velocity and without delid, using your bench settings, I get the same max temp as yourself and my average is within 1 degree. I feel another block wouldn't knock me down to even 5 degrees lower than yourself, hence why I think there could be something wrong with the velocity or the mount :)

Edit* Or thinking about it, maybe with direct die contact the difference between blocks increases? I only have experience with IHS mounts.
When using the Der8auer OC frame, with direct to die block mounting you have to get the mounting right, the EK block is already sitting on the nuts that are on the motherboard posts, before you even try screwing down, so I believe the block is barely touching the Die to start with, but I used some m4 screws to get the block on the die as it should be, so the mount was ok, and running stress tests the performance was not what I expected.

Swapping over to the Raystorm Pro, which sits straight onto the die from the get go without having to mess about, temps were much better as I have stated.;) Also the flow rate is superior on the Raystorm IMO.

Associate
When using the Der8auer OC frame, with direct to die block mounting you have to get the mounting right, the EK block is already sitting on the nuts that are on the motherboard posts, before you even try screwing down, so I believe the block is barely touching the Die to start with, but I used some m4 screws to get the block on the die as it should be, so the mount was ok, and running stress tests the performance was not what I expected.

Swapping over to the Raystorm Pro, which sits straight onto the die from the get go without having to mess about, temps were much better as I have stated.;) Also the flow rate is superior on the Raystorm IMO.

Ah ok, wasn't thinking about restriction. I guess if I turn my pump from 1-5 and only see 1 degree difference, that a block with a higher flow rate isn't going to give me such generous returns?

Soldato
That's decent for a T-Top board. Two sticks can often be tougher in this configuration. It helps to have a kit validated for those speeds (4200+), though. The guardband is fairly narrow up there.

Associate
Continuing with my testing since Deliding and direct die cooling my 9900k, if you take FPU/AVX out of the equation, which I will never use as I don't game or use anything that requires it, this chip will quite happily sit at 5.2ghz with a full load voltage of between1.243v-1.252v, 1.290v set in bios with LLC of 7 with temps ranging from 59c lowest core to 65c highest core. CPU package max 67c. Not bad I think, need to see how much more this chip has to offer now I can keep the temps down.;)

910013e7-5977-4560-9481-d6d4a04c7851-original.jpg

Associate
Off we go at 5.3ghz, I know its only Aida64 and not utilising FPU/AVX, but it gives me a baseline to work on, stress load voltage of 1.314v, max core temp of 77c so far, cores tend to level out after about 10 minutes in general, so don't expect them to get much higher, we will see. ;)

I could run RealBench with AVX and Aida64 non FPU/AVX at the same voltages when at 5.2ghz.

60f9e5e4-22e7-4bf5-bd5b-34d3e13d2626-original.jpg

Soldato

Me too, I’ve gone back to my nickel Supremacy EVO which in my opinion is better quality, bigger springs, thicker clamp plate, better microfin machining.

Also the mobo backplate that came with it wasn’t even threaded, just drilled holes.

After a bit of testing, doesn’t perform as well as my original supremacy block by quite a bit so going to swap back to that tomorrow and probably return it back to ocuk due to the non threaded backplate. Just doesn’t seem to contact right on the IHS.

I snapped up a 2nd hand 9900k 6.8-9ghz (ln2) which arrived today so got that to fit and test tomorrow when I get home from work. Also a delid rockit kit and copper IHS ordered so I can do that in a week or so.

Nice scores btw! If mine comes anywhere close to yours, I’ll be happy :)

Last edited:
Soldato
And a good IMC as well. ;)

Depends what you want to do with it. A lot of samples will POST up there, IMC variance comes down to how conditional it is. The stability window on VCCSA/IO also can become fairly narrow, too.

Whilst I've got you in quotes, here's 30 minutes of RB on my so-so spud. Things could perk up if I moved the setup to the bench table and improved temps, but it's currently home to my X299 system.

LLC6 / Adaptive / 1.385v / RB load 1.315v
Package TDP 195w / 2x 360mm EK Slim Line
VRM Crosschill / 2080TI/ EK Acetel Full Copper CPU
Uncore: 45
Core: 50 (no AVX offset)
DRAM: 4200 CAS 17-18-18-2T 1.4v
VCCIO 1.23 / VCCSA / 1.25
Water T: 33c

B2dsGFk.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Realbench is based on Package, it is what it is and water temps are fair. Try those voltages with Google Stress app or Ramtest. I use this system daily so the odd synthentic bench means very little to me when it comes to CPU load.

Soldato
HCI is better at testing the memory/uncore interaction. If it’s setup correctly (one instance per thread with 90% available memory) then it’s still very much a valid test of stability.

Stress app test isolates the DRAM subsystem better, though. An hour can be fairly telling (plus it’s easier to run than HCI, and coverage is quicker).

A higher VID and lower loadline on this box hasn’t had much of an impact, the end result is similiar at these kind of loads (RB). On a better CPU I may have been bothered to delid.

Back
Top Bottom