• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ian McNaughton goes out against The Way it's Meant to be Played

Permabanned
Next trick from NVIDIA:-

Every game thats TWIMTBP will not run on ATI software. SOrry, you will have to get GTX355 BIOYA Special editon card ( which is the old 280gtx having been renamed ) to play it for £500 pounds + Vat:D

Goodbye.

Soldato
OP
NV should be tring to be getting one over the competition ATI ATM with better hardware & features at the hardware & driver level that don't impact the standard DX & expected functions of the games on other hardware.

Competing at this level does not hurt the consumer or require the consumers involvement in its implementation.
This is standard business practice.

Instead they are trying to get one over ATI by blackmailing the consumer through screwing with 3rd party games.

People who think that only the continued underhanded ways at any & all levels of the chain is the only way todo business most likely do not own there own company.

Business allows for allot of leeway in what is acceptable right & wrong but i feel NV has pushed it to the limit & are on the verge of going over..

Last edited:
Soldato
The sad thing is this kind of activity will drive people to buy ATI cards. Nvidia have crossed the line and it will damage them.

Physx is fine, I've got no problem with that at all, but forcing the developer to remove AA on other cards is shameful and more shame on the developer for allowing it!

Soldato
The sad thing is this kind of activity will drive people to buy ATI cards. Nvidia have crossed the line and it will damage them.

Physx is fine, I've got no problem with that at all, but forcing the developer to remove AA on other cards is shameful and more shame on the developer for allowing it!

I would be interested to see solid proof if you can show me please.

Soldato
so i installed batman last night and i thought the game was using the unreal engine,now i know different. To force AA do i have to simply just select it in CCC to what every X i like?

Or do i need to make a profile like with the Nvdia cp,sorry not very familar with ATIs CCC

Soldato
OP
AMD has put money (work, code, it's the same) to the developers of DIRT 2 to use DX11 code. So they make the same that NVIDIA with Batman AA: the DX11 features (or some of them) can't be enabled in NVIDIA hardware (for when they have some).

Even if that was possible (I don't think AMD is in position to do something like that, as is the case of NVIDIA)... wow, GREAT. Now we have fixed everything. Now I not only can't use AA in B:AA if I have ATi, but I can't use DX11 in DIRT2 if I have NVIDIA. Excelent!. My situation as a consumer has improved hugely since AMD "has improved their relationships with developers to the degree of NVIDIA".

The problem here is not the relationships with the developers, but what kind of things should/shouldn't be allowed to be done with those relationships.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4037486&postcount=105

Soldato
I buy ATI cards because they're cheaper and they get the job done, not because of favouritism, but it just so happens Nvidia attitude has crossed the line.

Last edited:

uv

uv

Soldato

That quote was hypothetical, ATI haven't actual vendor-restricted the code in Dirt2.

Ever since nVidia restricted the use of physx on multi vendor setups (I used to have a 4870 alongside a 9500GT for physx - this no longer works, even though it can), I've decided my next card will most definately not be an nVidia one. It's utterly disgusting behaviour - I purchased their card, but I'm not allowed to use it as I also own a competitors card?

Permabanned
I have never liked the whole nvidia way it meant to be played BS

We have standards for a reason , so everyone is on the same page

I will be thinking long and hard about my next graphics purchase
As well as performance / power / costs I will also be considering a new criterion
Its called morals , is the company I am about to give money to acting in my
best interests or its own selfish reasons ?

Tho to be honest , I think some blame goes to the game writers as well , they are
the ones who are making things difficult for the other team.

Soldato
OP
That quote was hypothetical, ATI haven't actual vendor-restricted the code in Dirt2.

Ever since nVidia restricted the use of physx on multi vendor setups (I used to have a 4870 alongside a 9500GT for physx - this no longer works, even though it can), I've decided my next card will most definately not be an nVidia one. It's utterly disgusting behaviour - I purchased their card, but I'm not allowed to use it as I also own a competitors card?

Yes they have not restricted the code in Dirt2.
I was making a hypothetical point in posting it here that if both parties played that same game at that level then we would be doomed & another thorn in the side for PC gaming over consoles, like the PC needs any help with gamers going in that direction.

AMD has paid 1 million to codemasters for DX11 in Dirt2. And DX11 is not even owned by AMD, NV DX11 cards when they get here will not be restricted.

Last edited:
Soldato
You know, I am not bias to ATi or Nvidia, I generaly have always used any card that Ifelt like at the time.

Regardless of the fanboyzzz from both camps, the only thing for sure is this could eventualy kill PC gaming if it gets any further out of hand.

If it was Intel or MS doing this sort of thing, then you can bet they would be back in court faster then you can mutter fanboy under your breath.

EA lost me a long time ago, never likely to buy anything from them again, this sort of behavour just shows its all about milking as much from any source as possible for every release.

Soldato
I have never liked the whole nvidia way it meant to be played BS

In principle, I have no problem with TWIMTBP and other such ventures. Offering developers support in optimising their games for existing and upcoming hardware benefits the consumer. It's a positive influence.

However, once a company starts actively encouraging developers to remove certain features when rival hardware is detected, well... that's a different matter. The whole thing takes a turn for the negative. I hope that industry watchdogs take note and that nvidia gets hit with some kind of anti-trust litigation.

Soldato
AMD has paid 1 million to codemasters for DX11 in Dirt2. And DX11 is not even owned by AMD.

Whilst it's obviously just a move from AMD's perspective to get the short term sales of their Radeon 5000 parts up by making DirectX 11 more important, it will at least eventually benefit everyone once they also get the hardware out. Moreover, DirectX 11 benefits people who even just have DirectX 10 graphics hardware, including those who bought from Nvidia, S3, Intel, whoever. Sure it's not a saintly move by ATi, they're doing it to benefit, but it's not got the long term effect of segregating the market because eventually all vendors will support DirectX 11.

Caporegime
Exciting stuff, except I've been bemoaning the TWIMTBP program for 3-4 years slamming it as anti competitive.

Nvidia are, for want of a better word, cheats. Theres one thing sending teams to optimise certain bits for their hardware, give dev's a helping hand and general help fix bugs and improve performance, but locking out AA on other hardware, removing NORMAL features, replacing them as physx and killing performance on purpose so it only runs well on Nvidia hardware is terrible. LIkewise killing support for their loyal customers by killing the ageia PPU, also rendering cards people bought only for physx useless in ATi systems.

Rroff will constantly talk about advancing the industry, but I've yet to see physx do that, the effects aren't anything that can't be done on a CPU.

As we've seen the "paper" effects in Batman are scripted crap, theres NO interaction with batman, they move directly through him and his cape with easy, theres entirely no physical interaction between Batman and the paper. THe destructable walls, the scripted paper and the fog are things we've seen in games for, well, 5 years at least. These aren't physx features its literally a case of paying the dev's to remove normal features you'd expect in any game, and replace them with more complex code which doesn't improve the quality but (trys) to force you to use Nvidia hardware.

The fact is AMD should have been filling lawsuits to counter Nvidia's dodgey behaviour several years ago as this has undoubtedly happened in many titles before.

Physx was a fiasco BEFORE Nvidia bought it, its gone from bad to worse and I've still not seen a single game I'd by because of the ground breaking game changing gameplay improving Physx shown in a game. Infact, breaking glass I can't tell if its accurate or not, in a game designed for you to never stop at all while jumping around bland texture rooftops is as far away from game changing physics as I've seen.

So we've gone from GRAW was it back in the day, which added a few extra particles, which weren't realistic with physx that killed performance and added nothing to the game. To not even added particles, but REMOVING normal things from the latest game and re-adding them in a performance killing manor, giving us inaccurate effects we've seen for years and years.

WOW, physx has really dramatically moved on..............

Soldato
I think recently it's finally sealed the deal. I can't see me giving nvidia money any time soon, their agressive pr, dodgy tricks and frankly immature behaviour is a write off for me

Caporegime
Fined for what? actually making real applicable advances in game technology?

I don't mind ATI getting riled up about it... but atleast have a working alternative first...

Tho the AA is a dodgy one... while I wouldn't put it past nVidia to do it I wonder if theres more to it than meets the eye... like the whole physx only works on one core in CPU mode with Batman AA - which is completely untrue.

Lol, Nvidiot..

Back
Top Bottom