ICE - spec me up!

Soldato
Would be grateful if you guys could spec me up a ooober oober sound system for my MK5 Golf GTI. A few of your questions answered:

1. Budget: £ up to £1500 inc fitting.

2. Quality or Quantity of sound: Quality

3. Speakers: FR: Thinking of going components - Rainbows (http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/overview.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=12&kfz=1004)

Rears: Undecided

Subwoofer: Dont want anything big!

4. Headunit: Its a double DIN so dont mind a TFT in there but needs to look good with the rest of the interior...easier said then done! MP3 a must, Ipod Adaptor would be cool, DVD would be perfect. Not fussed with sat-nav. I prefer Alpine/Pioneer - but am open to other suggestions.

5. AMP: Again something that delivers quality sound and not in your face!

Go for it! Thanks.

Soldato
Fronts... Rainbow, Genesis or Focal... all brands I'd go with. Get a nice pair of components, spending around £130-£150.

Rear speakers... I wouldn't go with anything too fancy. Maybe a pair of co-axials to match the fronts. If you get Genesis fronts, try and get Genesis rears. The overall sound will match much better.

Subwoofer... a nice 10" RE would be awesome. I have a 10" RM (cheapy from eBay) in a sealed box which I've set up to be very punchy. Just shows you don't have to spend loads to get good bass... it's all in the way it's set up.

Headunit... you can either get an all in one unit, such as a Pioneer AVIC... or get a decent MP3/DVD headunit and seperate 7" TFT. Would work out cheaper than the AVIC, but I don't know if you'd want the unused space there.

Amp... a decent Genesis 4 channel. Bridge 2 channels for the sub and then the other 2 channels for the front speakers. Don't bother amping the rears... just run them from the headunit.

Then you want cabling... 5 metres of 4AWG cabling will set you back around £25. Decent RCA and speaker cables could cost £40-£50.

Finally, with a setup of this quality, you'll want some form of sound proofing material. A few sheets of Dynamat/Brown Bread could cost £50.

Hope this helps :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the help.

Looking at some new double DIN units just hit the market, anyone got any experience with these or any others?

1. Pioneer AVIC-HD1BT (with HDD)

frontshotavichd1bt_large.jpg

2. Alpine IVA-W200Ri

iva-w200ri_front.jpg

3. Kenwood DDX-6027

b_ddx6027.jpg

Back
Top Bottom