1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDE troubles

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by Wildman1255, 17 Feb 2006.

1. Wildman1255

Gangster

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help. Is it possible to run both a DVD writer and a DVD reader off the same IDE cable. I have a cable which says 'master on one set of pins and 'slave' on the other. But no matter what combination I try, either it be the writer as the master or the reader as the master. Whatever is plugged into the slave is not recogniced by Windows. I have (well I think I have) tried every possible combination of the jumper switches on the rear of both drives. I have also switched the bios to manual settings.
    This is driving me up the wall because it is easier to leave the writer plugged in all the time, but it means that it is getting used uneccesarily when I am not burning. Any ideas anyone :confused:

Thanks in advance

2. ultim

Hitman

Well it is possble having your dvd writer and reader on the same ide cable (i have the same setup atm). I see you tried changing the jumpers and messing with bios, thats about all you can do really. My guess it might be a faulty ide cable. got another one to try?