Ideas for a new car on a low budget

Caporegime
A £1500 BMW will be a nail and/or be very old (15+ years).

It will require care and attention left right and centre.

You find an example of 15 year old Beemer that is reliable as a 5 year old one and I will take my hat off to you, but you won't beause old cars break, simple as. Old BMW's cost a lot when they break.

I said at least £1500, it is a ballpark figure, not an OMG will cost the same price as the car to maintain. I was trying to help the op but you insisted in coming into the thread and being a bit of an antisocable, hate filled tard.

You perhaps get the "hate filled tard" sentiment because your in the wrong but don't see it I think!

They don't "require care and attention left right and centre" I would not have picked one as a daily driver if they had such a reputation.

I know of more than enough daily driver BMW's that are older than mine (14) that are perfectly reliable and viable daily drivers.

As with any old car, sure you will have to spend on it to keep it on the road, again, as with any car, preventative maintenance is the key here.

And if you don't mind, I refer to mine as my Nazi Shed, no talk of Nails here please. ;) :D

Similar age Ford / Vauxhall or BMW? Tough one that, I wonder why I changed from a '99 Mondeo to a '96 BMW?

Last edited:
Caporegime
[TW]Fox;16107156 said:
You've spent almost what you paid for the car simply keeping it on the road in the year you've had it R124.

Yes, quite aware of that.

I could have possibly paid circa £2k for one and still spent the same, or indeed more, keeping that on the road.

Dress it up any way you want, but, to my mind,£650 is hardly steep running costs for something like a 328i over a year.

If I decided to tidy it up and sell it, I'm pretty sure I'd easily get my £900 back with its new MOT & 6mths tax.

Cheap motoring to my mind mate.

Man of Honour
Most people who are buying a £1500 car are doing so because they don't have a lot of money. To these people, the notion of spending a further £600-£700 on repairs over the course of the year is unacceptable.

Associate
[TW]Fox;16107103 said:
My car costs considerably more to run than my previous car - a Ford Mondeo?

Yours is far more complicated than a e36 though and you're fussy. I suspect that my Mondeo will cost as much if not more to run than a smaller engined e36.

Soldato
If I wanted an "interesting" car for 1500 quid, I'd probably get a 406 Coupe V6...I think specifying that it must be RWD negates plenty of good machinery

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16107393 said:
It's full of bespoke bits like Brembo brakes and a tempremental rare V6.

Hmm true, I was going on my friend's experience where his only issues have been with the diesel engine. I thought the 3.0 V6 was quite common?

Associate
Mk3 Toyota Supra? Should get an ok/good one for £1500, engines are high maintenance [Head gaskets mainly], and they rust like nobodies business. Seems to fit the bill, while being equally temperamental as a £1500 BMW :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16107424 said:
Go on then how many PSA cars have you seen this week with a 3.0 V6? :p

Havent really been looking for them to be honest!

I thought it was quite popular in the 407 and C5 though

Caporegime

Shocker as guy with no clue realises that cheap cars are old.

Just because it's old doesn't mean it'll be crap. My 17 year old e36 was in superb shape for it's age!

1108.jpg

Soldato

It will require care and attention left right and centre.

You find an example of 15 year old Beemer that is reliable as a 5 year old one and I will take my hat off to you, but you won't beause old cars break, simple as. Old BMW's cost a lot when they break.

I said at least £1500, it is a ballpark figure, not an OMG will cost the same price as the car to maintain. I was trying to help the op but you insisted in coming into the thread and being a bit of an antisocable, hate filled tard.

Wait. You're sitting there spouting incorrect, blanket statements which are blatantly wrong and I am the Tard? Really?

You obviously do not have the slightest clue about what you're talking about or you wouldn't make such stupid statements and then palm them off as facts. From your posts you strike me as the type of moron who thinks a BMW is super, duper special car that can only be run by the rich and the famous simply because it is a BMW, It is a badge for Christ's sakes. I am sure that a similar breed of moron will strut into a BMW showroom and lay down 20 large for a Brand New 116i solely because of it has the roundel glued to the back of it.

For cars that are made by a "premium brand" BMWs are cheap and easy to repair(I'm talking about anything upto e36s here. I have no experience of E39s and beyond). Several members of my family have been running older BMWs and we have never, EVER had to pay anywhere near £1,500 to maintain them for the year. Heck, You could buy another, complete running but tatty parts car for a fraction of that figure.

Mk3 Toyota Supra? Should get an ok/good one for £1500, engines are high maintenance [Head gaskets mainly], and they rust like nobodies business. Seems to fit the bill, while being equally temperamental as a £1500 BMW :p

I really do love MK3 Supras, and did consider suggesting one but the same issue we have with a e36 arises - They will be utterly pointless if he is relying on a garage to fix it. Although once the headbolts have been re-torqued to the correct figure they are very reliable and rust wise they aren't actually THAT bad. They've certainly faired better than some other 80s sports cars :).

Back
Top Bottom