Identifying the Bottleneck

Associate
Looking for some advice:

I’m running these components in my pc-
CPU: i5 8400
RAM: 16GB DDR4
GPU: RTX 2060

For 1080p gaming at high FPS, I’m trying to determine where my PC bottleneck will lie; do I need to upgrade CPU or can I go ahead with a GPU upgrade?

For games like Modern Warfare, how can I check what part of my pc is slowing me down? I have experimented with running MSI Afterburner while playing MW but I don’t really know what to look for.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Man of Honour
Look at what cpu and gpu usage is in msi afterburner you should also have an for fps.

Download a programme called Fraps it will give you on screen fps if you can't figure how to do it in msi afterburner

Associate
OP
Why do you think you have a bottleneck in the first place and how do you know your setup is "slowing you down" ? My son has i5 8500 same RAM and RTX 2060 and he has no issues.

I am not too concerned about a bottleneck now (although Modern Warfare seems to stress my PC), I am looking more toward where the bottleneck will lie in 6 - 12 months. Basically, I am trying to decide if I am safe for the next year by just upgrading GPU now or should I expect to do a CPU upgrade (and a GPU upgrade down the line).

Associate
OP
Look at what cpu and gpu usage is in msi afterburner you should also have an for fps.

Download a programme called Fraps it will give you on screen fps if you can't figure how to do it in msi afterburner

Thanks. I am correct in saying that if MSI Afterburner shows CPU, RAM or GPU usage at almost 100% then that is where my bottleneck is?

Soldato
If one thing is at 100% and something else is at 20% then there's a bottleneck. You upgrade the item that's at 100% so the thing at 20% is able to go higher. If they're both over 80% then there's not really a bottleneck.

Associate
OP
Yes 100% means it's working at its maximum but you need to check the graph to see if 100% most of the time or just at certain moments.

If one thing is at 100% and something else is at 20% then there's a bottleneck. You upgrade the item that's at 100% so the thing at 20% is able to go higher. If they're both over 80% then there's not really a bottleneck.

What I'll do is run this test with a few games to eliminate those games that are not very well optimized.

Soldato
Sometimes it's good to have a GPU bottleneck though because it adds future-proofing which allows people to upgrade their GPU several times going from a 780 to 980 to 1080 while keeping the same CPU. A CPU bottleneck though is never good.

Associate
OP
Sometimes it's good to have a GPU bottleneck though because it adds future-proofing which allows people to upgrade their GPU several times going from a 780 to 980 to 1080 while keeping the same CPU. A CPU bottleneck though is never good.

I hear what you're saying. CPU upgrades need to include a MOBO upgrade too ... You don't want to be doing that too often.

Back
Top Bottom