Idle thoughts on the LHC

Soldato
One for the physicists out there...

What would theoretically happen if you were to stand in the way of the accellerated particles in the LHC ring? Would they just pass through you or would you be literally turned into human swiss cheese/torn to pieces?

I read this article on Anatoli Bugorski and was surprised to find that his head didn't vapourise.. :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoli_Bugorski

Soldato
Well it's essentially the same as any other radiation. Most of the particles will pass straight through, but enough will collide directly with atoms in your body. And since these particles have such high energy, expect a great deal of damage manifesting as radiation burns. I would be very surprised if someone could survive being in the LHC's tunnels while it's on.

Soldato
Uh, with the amount of energy those particles would have, I'd say torn apart, vapourised?

They are moving at nearly the speed of light, after all.

Edit: This post does have exaggeration.

Soldato
I would be very surprised if someone could survive being in the LHC's tunnels while it's on.
Sounds like an upcoming Bond plot. :)

In reality, it wouldn't do much of anything. 1 TeV has the energy of a small mosquito (so we talking being slammed into by 7 mosquitoes at once). By comparison, a 100w light bulb emits 2.2 Trillion TeV in an hour.

Really, think about the detectors themselves. They're getting slammed by these particles, the aftermath of an explosion! Do you think they get damaged from it?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well they're in a vacuum, so you'd have bigger problems to worry about.

Oh I can hold my breath for a while, I'll be ok while I test it out! :D

The only reason I was asking was that I was wondering if we'll ever see the technology advance so much that we get proton guns with mini accellerators on them... pew pew! :p Sadly there's no point if it doesn't have the capability to dismantle someone at the sub-atomic level.. :(

Edit: Forgot about the low temperatures... Serious Long-Johns needed...

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh I can hold my breath for a while, I'll be ok while I test it out! :D

The only reason I was asking was that I was wondering if we'll ever see the technology advance so much that we get proton guns with mini accellerators on them... pew pew! :p Sadly there's no point if it doesn't have the capability to dismantle someone at the sub-atomic level.. :(

Well the particles are tiny compared to the molecules in air, so they'd just collide with them and lose their energy.

Man of Honour
Uh, with the amount of energy those particles would have, I'd say torn apart, vapourised?

They are moving at nearly the speed of light, after all.

Edit: This post does have exaggeration.
This does not happen in space, where astronaughts are bombarded by high energy particles. They just pass straight through, as the size of these particles are so tiny they do very little damage.

Associate
That guy was hit by a beam about 2000 gray. With 1 gray = 1 joule of energy absorption and the LHC having 1.12 microjoules of energy per particle.. I don't think you would die.

Of course, I've just used Wiki to piece this together... so I could be entirely wrong.

It doesn't just fire one particle though. It fires trillions of them at once. I reckon it would kill you pretty quickly.

Caporegime
It doesn't just fire one particle though. It fires trillions of them at once. I reckon it would kill you pretty quickly.

It doesn't I don't think. The particle accelerator accelerates only one or two particles and fires them at each other, the bits and pieces of this crash is what is then analysed.

Back
Top Bottom