IE7 Public Beta 2

Soldato
Anyone know about editing the Version number in the registry, so that you can access your internet banking site with this beta. As it stands the service doesn't (for obvious reasons I know) support this version.
Thanks Paul

Soldato
Bony Maloney said:
Anyone know about editing the Version number in the registry, so that you can access your internet banking site with this beta. As it stands the service doesn't (for obvious reasons I know) support this version.
Thanks Paul

I'll e-mail you the reg files to do it, quite easy, mail me- [email protected] :D

Needed them myself 'cos the missus needs Natwest... IE7 works fine with my HSBC so I didn't realise till she had a paddy lol.

Soldato
I really like IE7 - it's very easy to use, it seems quick and provides a lot of the features I've wanted from IE for an age. The best, for me, is the UI - in particular the quick tabs feature. I love it and use it regularly now.

Soldato
Ive got to say im impressed with the IE 7 beta 2.
In my personal experiencw with it i find it a lot faster than opera and other web based browsers on this pc. And it has saved all my favz and coockies from my other browsers.

Big + for Msoft :)

Permabanned
I just tried this and my first impressions are that it is slightly improved, ie. a separate stop and refresh button, and no large space between links on the links toolbar. Otherwise I still strongly dislike it I'm afraid - a messy, cluttered interface which is anathema to the simplistic (I mean that in a good way) IE6. If the final release is anything like this - which it seems to me it will be - I will be very disappointed :( Back to Firefox I go.

Oh, and as with beta 1, clicking a link in Outlook Express still doesn't open the default browser and go to the site :mad:

Permabanned
When I right click on the toolbar area I should get 'customise' in the context menu - instead I have to click through a messy array of menus to get to it. Firefox and IE6 both have this, and it is intuitive to have it there.

Also when I do go to customise the toolbar buttons, the option to have large buttons or to have text underneath them is absent because Microsoft in its infinite wisdom has decided that small buttons are what I will have, whether I like it or not. I find them irritatingly small at 1024x768 so I dread to think what they're like at high resolutions.

I really don't think Microsoft has any intention of changing these things as they are in keeping with the new Vista look.

edit - I just emailed MS with my thoughts anyway, FWIW. Maybe if enough people say the same sort of things as me then they will change things. At the moment it's a real mess.

Last edited:
Associate
Well after messing around with it for about 30 mins I can say it's certainly a lot better than IE6 but I can't see myself switching from Firefox to use it.

The things I liked about it were Quick Tabs (which is very nice) and the RSS implementation.

I didn't like the fact they haven't done anything with the find feature (ctrl+f) as I use this all the time in Firefox and it works really well. The other thing may seem trivial but I really can't stand how big the tab is when only one website is open.

While the security additions are nice to see (if they make any difference) they are expected and wouldn't be a reason for me to switch to IE7.

Associate
dirtydog said:
When I right click on the toolbar area I should get 'customise' in the context menu - instead I have to click through a messy array of menus to get to it. Firefox and IE6 both have this, and it is intuitive to have it there.

Right-click on any of the icons then click customise?

dirtydog said:
Also when I do go to customise the toolbar buttons, the option to have large buttons or to have text underneath them is absent because Microsoft in its infinite wisdom has decided that small buttons are what I will have, whether I like it or not. I find them irritatingly small at 1024x768 so I dread to think what they're like at high resolutions.

You have to remember this is a beta product and this could and probably will change before it's released. (I find the icon sizes fine at 1280x1024 btw)

Back
Top Bottom