IE7 Public Beta 2

Soldato
NathanE said:
This is a Beta 2 _Preview_ release. The proper Beta 2 should work on OSes other than just XP SP2. The reason they released it is to get feedback from web developers.

Isn't it reasonable to expect that web developers could be using XP x64 edition?

I don't see what they could be using that wouldn't work on XP x64. Pretty much all XP apps work fine, save something like Alcohol which requires its own drivers

Permabanned
some idiot locked my IE7 thread even though I asked a valid question that I feel hasn't been answered in this thread, so I guess I'll have to ask again...

"downloaded this last night and i quite like it, but i'm not convinced it's stable enough for regular use?

oh, and before anyone says "try opera" or "try firefox" i've tried both before

liked firefox but didn't like opera. but in the end, i end up back with IE6 for 100% compatibility."

Soldato
PuncH said:
some idiot locked my IE7 thread even though I asked a valid question that I feel hasn't been answered in this thread
You want to be careful displaying an attitude like that. We have a thread for discussion of this topic, we dont need another.

Man of Honour
PuncH said:
but i'm not convinced it's stable enough for regular use?
I haven't downloaded it, and I know it's not.

For the words "beta" and "preview" read - "hey, we've got this cool new gizmo and we'd like to know what you think, but we know it's not finished and it's definitely not ready for the masses yet, so don't blame us if it turns your computer into a smouldering heap of rubble".

I make my living in the software industry, and you can bet I won't be installing IE7 previews on any systems that I'd be even slightly worried about having to wipe clean afterwards. :)

sfx

sfx

Associate
PuncH said:
some idiot locked my IE7 thread even though I asked a valid question that I feel hasn't been answered in this thread, so I guess I'll have to ask again...

"downloaded this last night and i quite like it, but i'm not convinced it's stable enough for regular use?

oh, and before anyone says "try opera" or "try firefox" i've tried both before

liked firefox but didn't like opera. but in the end, i end up back with IE6 for 100% compatibility."
It is still Beta and it does say on the download page at Microsoft not to use it on a Live system as it is still in Beta and there may/will be bugs.

sfx

Soldato
Berserker said:
Cleartype rocks - wouldn't be without it now...

... but only on TFTs. It's an unholy mess on CRTs, but then I've banished all my CRTs. :)

Not sure if it's a "you'll get used to it thing" but I've hated it on all my TFTs. To me it always looks blurry when applied, even after using the cleartype tuning tool thing.

I think Adobe is also using something like it in their photo editing apps (Elements 4) - but couldn't work out a way to turn it off so stopped using the it. Perhaps me eyes are wonkey! :D

Permabanned
I've used Cleartype on my CRT for a few years now and I much prefer it as it makes text look smooth and the same as you'd find on the printed page, in a newspaper, book or magazine. I don't understand people's preference for pixellated, jagged-edged text on a computer screen when the printed word does not look like that. Likewise I'm not a fan of TFT monitors as I find them excessively, unnecessarily and harshly sharp.

kbc

kbc

Associate
dirtydog said:
Likewise I'm not a fan of TFT monitors as I find them excessively, unnecessarily and harshly sharp.

Excellent use of adjectives there... ;)

What do you mean unnecessarily sharp? You mean you can actually see straight edges rather than a blur? :p Things like these take a little while to get used to, the minute you use a TFT you won't go back to a CRT.

ClearType fonts are as suggested meant to be only used on LCDs and notebook screens... I find using it on a CRT makes everything look cloudy and blurry... but that comes from a TFT user... CRTs aren't great anyway, they take up space and you end up sitting a matter of inches away from the screen causing in most cases a loss of 20/20 vision. Gives me a headache using them. :)

Back to the subject of IE... nice... but I'll wait until Vista is out before I migrate from Firefox to IE.

Permabanned
kbc said:
Excellent use of adjectives there... ;)

What do you mean unnecessarily sharp? You mean you can actually see straight edges rather than a blur? :p Things like these take a little while to get used to, the minute you use a TFT you won't go back to a CRT.

Wrong actually mate, I owned a 17" TFT last year (or was it 2004, can't remember now) which I returned after a few days as I didn't like it for various reasons. I say again, text on the printed page is not sharp like on a TFT. Also viewing angles and ghosting did my head in.

Anyway...!! Seeing as this isn't the Monitors forum let's get back on topic shall we :D

Associate
Please Help!

IE7 Beta has just mucked up my system.

I am now unable to add or remove it & it wont let system restore run.

Also Outlook Distress wont let me open mail beacuse it is now low on memory?

It is displaying this message:-

"The procedure entry point InternetGetSecurityByView could not be located in the dynamic link library WININET.dll."

Any advice to help me either remove it or get sytem restore running would really be appreciated.

ducati996

Back
Top Bottom